Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old timers? Rod Shop Owners?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thief in the night, Jun 21, 2011.

1. thief in the night

thief in the night

Hey guys, you've heard the old adage - "Find an old-timer to learn from." The problem is, there aren't many shops willing to take on apprentices anymore; or if there are i'm having a tough time finding them.

Does anyone know of any shop anywhere in the USA that still takes on up and comers? I've got passion, a bit of skill and the desire to go wherever the work and opportunity is. I want to learn the old-fashioned way- I don't have 30k for tech school.

Please PM me if you have any info or leads.

2. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

If you dont have any luck with this, join the military the new GI bill will pay for a trade school, that and it builds character... Military first seems like the true old fashion way, learn the basics with a diesel mechanic MOS. Also I see you are 29 1 year to old for the Corps but the rest will take ya.

3. thief in the night

thief in the night

I appreciate the input, however my heart isn't in the Military Services. I looked into it when I was younger and it's just not for me. I am eager, though, to find a shop that will give me the chance to work my way up from the bottom and learn all I can along the way. I'm loyal to the end and a tireless worker. Hopefully I'll be able to find an opportunity.

4. alchemy

alchemy

Wonder how many bosses would hire a guy who calls himself a thief? Just a thought.

5. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Was thinking the same thing...

6. BCR

BCR

Yep x3

7. chrisser

chrisser

"Thief in the night" could be a reference to the parable of the faithful servant, so maybe any boss who is familiar with the New Testament would hire him.

8. BCR

BCR

I know my new testament but maybe he should have something to support that in his avatar or sig line. Other than dropping a few more hints it just sounds like he is proud to be a thief in the night.

9. Actually someone the other day was looking for someone who was an adept fabricator and was willing to train if the basic skills were there. I wouldn't know what to search on it maybe opening or fabricator???

I think I have mentioned this to you before but I am pretty sure that you can still do an apprenticeship with the UAW. I know that is the establishment, well sometimes ya just got to buck up pay your dues then go on with life.

10. chrisser

chrisser

Really? You think he's proud to be a thief in the night, that's why he used it for his made-up name on an anonymous forum about traditional hot rods? And he's so proud of his success that he's looking for an entry level job in a completely different field?

Do you think Old Roadster really thinks he's an old roadster and Tudor thinks he's a tudor?

11. OK I just got to know how does one turn a thread about finding a job into a religious discussion?

Good goobly goop who cares if he is a religious fanatic or a thief either way it is all about if his prospective employer is going to take a chance on him. Maybe he won't tell them that he is a HAMBer at all and actually use his real name when he goes for that big break.

12. chrisser

chrisser

Religious discussion? Wow.

The Bible plays a large role in Western philosophy, constitutional law, as well as being a literary source in itself, besides being referenced in numerous other works.

Do you think money is a religious object? It has "God" written on it.

13. chrisser

chrisser

14. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I know I am an Old Car Fart (grin)

15. BCR

BCR

Wow, sorry I threw my 2 cents in on this one. I'm out.

16. fulltimeforester

fulltimeforester
    from california

Anyone worth their salt are old farts. Just the opinion of an old fart.

17. thief in the night

thief in the night

Step away for a few hours and the world explodes, huh? My screen name comes from a song written by Harlan Howard (who also wrote such classic tunes as "I Fall To Pieces" and "I've Got A Tiger By The Tail") called "A Thief in the Night" that was redone by Mike Ness of Social Distortion. I'm no thief, and I'm not religious. I'm a worker.
    Talk about judging a book by its cover...

18. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Back on topic!

The problem is this. Right now most shops that I talk to are busy, including ours, but no one is really staffing up at this point because none of us are sure where this is heading. I know Lowsprings and elpolacko are hiring, as are others, but they are looking for experienced guys because there is no time for hand holding. It sucks, but that's the way I see it right now.

Next piece of advice.....Don't be afraid to pick up work at Non-automotive shops, machine shops, welding shops, etc. It will all pay off and be a feather in your cap down the road if you do find an opening in this industry.

Good Luck
    I hope you find something.

Donny

By the way, I know the song, its one of my favorites.....

19. thief in the night

thief in the night

I saw that, Chrisser. I was a little late to the party on that one but Wil's situation is pretty much exactly what I'm hoping to find. A lot of you guys are mentioning 'paying my dues.' I want topay my dues. I'm not too proud to push a broom if you're willing to let me help where I can, do the easy stuff and work my way up, etc...

I appreciate those of you that are trying to be helpful.

20. And it is against one of the "cardinal" rules of the HAMB. Aside from the fact that you really have no idea what the young fellas mindset is on his screen name.

I'm not absolutely sure but last I recall it also had dead presidents on it as well.

21. Yea you can't trust a single one of us.

No one really cares about the inference of your screen name is some of the fellas were just giving you a hard time because they could. A couple of the other fellas decided that they would make you have a born again name not that it really mattered to them what the name ment to you it was just something to keep your thread on top incase someone was looking for a fine young man as yourself to help out. I am guving them the benefit of the doubt here.

I'm just typing this because it will give everyone that was too busy to get on today to find you.

Maybe in the morning when I am fresher I can find that fella looking for a fabricator and is willing to do some training.

Good luck to you.

22. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

23. chronisterracing

chronisterracing
    from N.Il.

Hope you didn't join the army

24. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Search fabricator under the classifieds. You'll get stuff from all over. Most are looking for experience though.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467151&highlight=fabricator

This is where I work and we've been looking for people for a while. People keep coming, but dont work out because they usualy cant do what they say they can. I doubt you'd qualify for the relocation with no experience, but shoot the boss a pm, who knows.

25. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I know that in our industry HVAC no one is really hiring. Probably not the ground you want to dig into but just as much as I am a guy who loves old trucks I like to feed my family too. We have work and we are for the most part busy, but at the end of the year who knows. A few new houses are being built and that's great but at the same point I don't know anybody with an old car looking for a shop. It's a tough world. Sometimes you really have to pay your dues elsewhere.

26. BlockBuster

BlockBuster
    from SEMass

Its summertime. Take a walk around the neighborhood and see what's going on in the garages. You may spy an old timer running a rag across the hood of something special, or see sparks flying on a project car. Strike up a conversation, you never know where it could lead.

27. thief in the night

thief in the night

That was a fantastic opportunity. It instills hope in me that there still are guys out there willing to take chances. In reality, training an apprentice in exchange for X-years of promised work is win-win. You can help a guy fulfill his dream and train him to do things the way you want them at the same time.

Thanks for the link hotrod40coupe

28. That is the one that I was thinking about. If they haven't filled the spot that would be a good start for ya.

I didn't think about it but there is a HAMB social group for folks looking for work and folks looking for workers. I'll find you a link to it if you are not already a member.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=680

Here try this. You may find yourself a break there.

29. thief in the night

thief in the night

thanks - I found that group last night and joined. I appreciate your help.

30. ButchsCoolStuff

ButchsCoolStuff

If I remember correctly, that Whittier CA shop called LIMEWORKS and also that Alabama Shop called Allen Johnsons had ads on this site looking for some warm bodies to hire. You might check with them! We are just getting started again and it's been a little slow with the current economy and all, otherwise..... ?? Butch