Register now to get rid of these ads!

PortaBand vs. Sawzall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Jun 22, 2011.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need a small portable saw to cut tubing, flat bar, angle, etc. with. I've been using a chop saw but am getting ready to do an exhaust system and feel like I need something a little more accurate for the cuts.

Which is the most useful tool, a PortaBand or a Sawzall? What do you use yours for primarily and what innovative ways have you come up with for extending it's intended use?

Thanks
    Rock

2. Paul Windshield

Paul Windshield

I mostly use my portaband.

3. Portaband is by far more accurate (given the same attention). A sawzall is much more versatile and can get into hard-to-reach places easier than the portaband.

Kindofa trade-off......

4. own both and they both work great, sawzall seems to be the one i use more often.

5. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i agree X2

6. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

Go on CL and purchace both as they have ther limitations.But with both you will be able to cover most bases.

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

What HE said. Basic premise is that you just can't have too many tools.

8. I have both but use the Porta Band more for accurate cuts.
    Later,
    Dick

9. marcello7x

marcello7x
    from Boston

portaband much more accurate on keeping things square. I have a sawzall and its awesome for almost everything minus accuracy, unless your very very careful. I use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel when it needs to be perfect since i can slowly cut all around after taping it off square. Very time consuming tho.

10. marcello7x

marcello7x
    from Boston

I don't have a portaband, hence the angle grinder.

11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I use grinder with cuttoff wheel for accurate cuts or plasma cutter. The Sawzall is 1 of those cut anything in your way kind of things and portaband is a great piece only thing limiting is where it can be used and depth of material your cutting... And sawzall is cheaper....

12. johnboy94

johnboy94

I love all the "sawzall is not accurate" comments a sawzall is a tool. The operator determines accuarcy. That being said Portabands are cool for tubing etc. in the situation you can chunk it in the vice and get to the cut.

I use a sawzall enough (cutting 3"-4" PVC pipe) I can be pretty accurate, cutting metal with it. Like anything else practice and time will improve your skill. IMO a good cordless sawzall is one of the greatest tools to come out in a long time. Hint for either buy GOOD blades! If I get off on a cut 8 out of 10 times I am pushing a blade beyond it's capability or lifespan.

Johnboy

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Once you get a portaband you'll rarely use the sawzall for much other than demo, or hard to reach places. I've got a Milwaukie portaband, and sawzall, and the sawsall looks like new. Just rarely gets any use. The portaband is also much faster to make a cut on the same material.
    Only drawback to a portaband is the 4" opening. It restricts it to only making cuts on material that's less than the 4" diameter or width. I've cut larger by coming in from both sides, which works really well when I need to go that route.

14. Porta band cuts faster but has limitations on size of stock used. Sawsall is much more versatile . Two different machines really. Buy `em both!

15. Racrdad

Racrdad

Get a Portaband and you will soon wonder how you ever got along without one. Sawzall is great and certainally can get into places a Portaband cant but if you arent cutting in a tight area like under a car or something then the Portaband will end up being what you use most of time.

16. cryobug

cryobug

If you buy a Portaband saw make sure it is a deep cut saw or you will regret it.

17. fbama73

fbama73

One of each. The bigger variety of tools you have that do the same job, the more chances you have for success on a given project.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ive got a sawzall that I've had for years that I cut just about everything with but a portaband is my next major power tool purchase after a new half inch electric drill.

I'd agree with the watch craigslist thing. You can find some pretty good deals there on tools.

19. The portaband is going to be the way to go if you want accurate, square cuts without having to spend the time to be really careful with the sawzall.

20. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the great advice. Sounds like it will be a PortaBand, for starters. The Sawzall will come later. :)

21. Jagman

Jagman

I'm one of those guys who finds a portaband very difficult to get straight, accurate cuts with, even with a new, properly tightened blade....

I found once I started using cutoff blades in my angle grinder, I pretty much quit using either the portaband or the sawsall. The big difference for me is whether you can get the saw into the spot you're wanting to cut, if you're working on the bench, it doesn't matter so much. When you're trying to get into an awkward spot from under the hood or under the car - it does.

I have all three and they all have their uses, but like I said, I use the cutoff wheel for almost everything anymore.....

Your best bet would be if you could borrow one of each and try it first, but the cutoff wheel is the least expensive way to go.

22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I use the plasma and the sawzall equally around my place....

23. Truckedup

Truckedup

What's the difference? Portaband is a Porter Cable name,Sawzall is Milwaukee :D

24. I own both also and use the portaband daily, sawzall not so much.

25. he is speaking of portaband, like a hacksaw blade that goes round and round and the sawzall is a reciprocating saw blade...in other words, it goes in and out

26. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

Gonna hijack the thread a bit. Johnboy, what brand of blades do you recommend?

dka

27. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

get the porta band then go to harbor freight and get the 20-30 sawzall for the other stuff

28. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

I have both, use them both a lot. If you are going to fab up an exhaust system leave them both in the tool box. Buy a cheapo pipe cutter (about $30) fast accurate 90 degree cuts easy as pie.

29. bobscogin

bobscogin

You need both, really, but I find I use the Portaband saw more. The reciprocating motion of the Sawzall shakes the crap out of anything you use it on, shakes tools off my work bench--- yeah, I know, clean up the work bench. Ain't likely to happen.:D

Bob

30. This reply is for anybody although I quoted the original post. I'm a bit confused and it may take a bit to splain, so bear with me (or don't).

The why of going from a chop saw to a sawzall or portaband isn't making sense to me. In my mind a chop saw is for cutting the mentioned materials, a sawzall is for cutting (car) body parts, and a portaband is to cut things that can't be brought to a chop saw.

With the word accuracy in there it makes me think of a nice straight cut like you'd get with a horizontal band saw or power hack saw. But, they're not "portable". I'm thinking that "handheld" is the more appropriate term.

Am I making sense? What am I not getting?

Thanks,
    Kurt