Register now to get rid of these ads!

Differences between Graymarine 280 and Buick 401ci engines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sergioperez78, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hi all you there! Any major difference between Graymarine Fireball 280 and Buick 401ci nailhead engine? Thanks!

2. Sergio;
    most graymarine engines were only modified minimaly for marine use.
    Exaust manifold, intake,waterpumps and sometimes cam.
    Block should be standard.
    Bill.

3. Distributor will be slightly different in the advance curve as well

4. Often the marine distributers are more water resistant than automitive distributers and changeing the advance curve isn't a real problem.

What I would be concerned about is the rotation of the engine more than anything else. If it were for a twin screw application it may be reverse rotation. Other than that I wouldn't be at all concerned about it. Even a reverse rotation motor can be over come by a cam and distributer change.

5. Balls Out Garage

Balls Out Garage
    from Arkansas

The 280 Graymarine is actually reverse rotation (typically, although I've seen them both ways...) even as a single screw engine. As porknbeaner said, a cam change can fix most of that. The other thing to address is the crankshaft. The sealing surface for the rope rear main seal will have a crosshatch pattern...used to keep the oil in with the rope seal, which was only twisted by the manufacturer in one direction. A light polishing will fix this and prevent a chronic oil leak if the engine is turned in the conventional direction.

6. Actually if the distributer isn't adressed it won't function properly either. It advance will be going in thwe wrong direction.

There is a simpler solution you can flop your rear end. That will put your pinion on the other side of the ring gear and make it sink with the reverse rotation. Some of the sprint car guys used to do that so they could run a reverse rotation engine.

TopDownL79,
    By the way I wasn't aware that the gray marine engines were normally reverse rotation motors. Good to know.

7. Thanks guys for your replies!!!!

Sergio