Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finned Buick drums????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by essexrat, Jun 21, 2011.

1. essexrat

essexrat

So I got a chance to buy a couple sets of late 60's front drums from a couple Rivieras. They are the finned type, but not sure how many fins there are. Are these the ones that everyone is looking for? What all should I get? Do I need the whole brake assembly's or just the drums? Don't know much about these setups, but I'm sure they are what the hotrodders are looking for? Any info would be great. What has to happen to make these work? What is the ideal setup? What are something like these worth? Thanx for the help.

2. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

The "late '60s" drums are 90-fin and the earlier ones are 45-fin. The 45s are more desirable to most, but guys look for the 90s also. Most folks only use the drums in conjunction with OTHER backing plate assemblies and hubs. They should measure no more than 12.090" to be safely usable. DD

3. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

4. WNC

WNC
    from Western NC

2nd what DD said about the ID being useable, but there are companies nowadays that reline the drums to make them good. I know it seems like a lost practice, but relining drums used to be common practice. If you get a good deal, PM me, and I'll look them up. Converted to discs on my Riv, out of a sense for safety (4100lb car), but I got the links.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If you luck into finding a pair of '58-'60 Buick front backing plates, they can be adapted to early Ford spindles without too much hassle.

6. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Get the entire brake, the whole setup can be adapted to many different spindles using 1,000 different methods. You won't regret it.

7. lenmann

lenmann
    from NorCal

Make sure here isnt any corrosion or separation between the steel liner and the aluminum casting unless you plan on relining the drums. Even if the drums have meat left on them they will never run true.

8. essexrat

essexrat

Another quick question...would the rear drums be finned as well? I most likely can get those too...Any thoughts?