Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new ride, 51 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Well, could not stand not having a ride for the summer and knew there was no way I could get my Modified together in time. (just got the rearend last Thursday from the builder. and have alot of things to still do to the frame and all the body building..

I found this 51 chevy locally for a good price and snagged it. What is interesting is all the stainless, grill, taillights (backup) and a bunch of other stuff is 52. The owner said the guy he got it from (original owner) said he bought it very late in 51, just as the 52 were coming out.. the title, and all tags show it is a 51.. The car came out of Az but the owner blew the original 216 up and shipped to his winter home in Tacoma Wa. he found a later 235 (no babbits) and just spent over 5k rebuiliding the motor and trans (receipts show it was done in June '10).. He also coverted it to 12v which is nice. he got it running at the end of summer and drove it around 200 to 300 miles before heading back to Az for the winter (he is a snowbird). he just got back to Wa in May and decided to sell his house and buy a condo here to make it easier to maintain the house. He just sold his 51 chevy PU and had this for sale for the past 2 weeks on craigslist. The car has a great patina from the Az sun.. nice satin finish to it now .

I must have been the first to make an offer and when I did he got really quiet.. took him about 15 minutes to finally talk about my offer and give me a slight counter. I agreed and now its in my garage..

anyone ever heard of a 52 being built and titled as a 51 from GM.. (it must have been at the very very end of the 51 build year and they ran out of 51 parts??

here it is at the previous owners house.

[​IMG]

anyone know where you place the oil and temp sending units in a 235, they do not work since the original gage panel is 6v.. (maybe I can use some converter to reduce voltage or I plan to use a 3 gage panel under the dash...

I could also use some rear window stainless (need upper piece and two vertical pieces)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. BadLuck

BadLuck

wow its beautiful! you even have the wrap around bumper guards too! great looking car!

3. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Great car, there is a 51 for sale here that I pass daily. I swear that car is calling my name. Good luck with it.

4. Ghost28

Ghost28

Dang someday. That car is on my wish list.

5. Are the oil and temp gages mechanical? If so it does not matter on voltage, just change the bulbs out. If they are electric, use a "7806" solid state voltage reducer. Input 12 v, output 6 volts. Requires a ground, but easy and able to handle about 1 amp which is sufficient to run a gage. Use this on my 37 Chevy gas gage and it works fine.

Nice hardtop you found, should be fun driver over summer.

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Thanks Terry for the tip. do you have a suggestion on where to find the reducers..

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, Boones...that's a nice hardtop. Looks solid as a rock. And the 235 and trans are rebuilt too...with proof. Excellent. Congrats.

The oil-pressure sending-unit port should be on the driver's side of the block, at the very rear, about half way down the block...a small hole...approx. 3/8 diameter with fine threads for a fitting. Originally, the car would've had a fitting there, with a small metal tube going to the gage. There's got to be something in the port, or your oil would leak out...either the original fitting with a short length of original tubing pinched off, or a plug. The temp. sending unit port is in the head. Let's see...I think on top...whichever side of the head isn't covered by the rocker-cover...driver's side again I think. Probably a plug in there too. It's an approx. oh...1/2"-5/8 inch dia. hole.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As mentioned...original oil pressure gage is mechanical with a line carrying oil and pressure to gage. Get a fitting and line, and use the original gage.

Temp sender and gage are electric...I think. Can't remember shit for sure anymore...but I don't remember any other tubing going under the dash for that in any old Chevys I've owned.

9. Maybe it was common for dealers to dress up remaining stock with the newer look back then. The '51 Cadillac I used to own had '52 trim because it was originally sold 12-30-51.

10. fbama73

fbama73

From the factory service manual:

TEMPERATURE INDICATOR
    The temperature indicator consists of an indi
    cating unit on the dash, an ether filled bulb in the
    cylinder head and a small tube forming an air
    tight connection between the two units. As the
    water in the cylinder head warms up, the ether
    expands causing the hand on the dash unit to
    move toward the right indicating the water
    temperature.​

11. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

After most all auto manufactorers introduced the new (next years) models in September. Some states however did not change the way titles were issued untill the late 50's. So if you bought a new '51 before January 1,1951 it might have been titled according to the year it was sold. There also were a few "left over" new cars sporting titles saying they were a year newer. This was a practice that varied not only state to state but some times county court house to county court house with in a state.
    Eventually every one standardized but it was most common in the early 50's.

12. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Dang nice score.I have all the trim,but mines not a hardtop.Oh well.

13. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Really cool story and awesome score i love it!

14. Nice score..it has the "look".

15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

OMGoodness....that is one fine lookin' Chevy!!
    Way cool find.
    Good for you.
    Cheers...............

16. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Great score, Boones! Good for you!

17. Kustom64ford

Kustom64ford

18. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

'51 gauges should both be mechanical - to use the '51 temp sender you need a new bushing to fit in the head at the driver's side rear- I think I got mine from Chev's of the 40s

Oil pressure gauge will 'peg' at 30 lbs with the 235 - 216 & early 235 (babbitt) pressure was 14, and the gauge only goes to 30 - later 235's were 35 & 45 lbs on the oil pressure

19. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Cool ride. You got a beauty there! :cool:

20. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Veyr nice....I love those!

21. Great find ! And a Hardtop No less !

22. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

24. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Great lookin' find! Sure do love the looks of those hardtops.

25. '51 eh? I do like it. Nice score.

26. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

27. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

28. Tin Can

Tin Can

Great score. Looks like it is in excelant shape

29. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Very kool. Looks like the kind where all the hard stuff is done, and you can focus on the fun stuff ;D