Register now to get rid of these ads!

Planning a trip to California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-man313, Jun 19, 2011.

1. D-man313

D-man313

My mom is planning a familly trip to California this time next year. I know that there is the Peterson Automotive Museum and the NHRA museum along with the local hot rod shops that are right around Anaheim. What are some other places worth seeing while out there?

P.S. the 2 museums, are they all day walks through the museum or can you go to a couple places in a day?

Thanks
    David

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Speaking from personal experience, you should be able to take in the NHRA Museum and So Cal Rod Shop in one day. Have Fun.

3. Limeworks & Taylor Engines are in Whittier, the NHRA ones great, its in Pomona, the Petersen is in Hollywood...there's a lot of miles between em, but they are doable in a day.

4. hershambob

hershambob

if your going this time next year go to the roadster show in pomona

5. I am confused. Is the question what would your mother enjoy? What is she into or are you looking into places for yourself? The Nethercutt collection (http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/) is something she would might enjoy (plus it doesn't cost anything).

Charlie Stephens

6. D-man313

D-man313

Kind of doing it as a combo trip, planning different spots to hit that each family member is interested in. Probably wont get back out that way for a while so planning to do a combination of everything.

7. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I think doing both museums in one day might be a problem . You certainly don't want to rush your tour experiance and the real problem is that they are on opposite sides of LA, and traffic will be terrible. Take your time and enjoy your trip.

8. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

9. D-man313

D-man313

thanks guys.
    anyone else??

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

11. D-man313

D-man313

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yes, people start rolling in about 4pm. This place was built back in 58' as Harvey's and knocked down. Only the main sign stood when the police came in and stopped the demolition. Thats why it's a Bobs now but it retains it's same footprint. Stop by and get the whole story.

13. fcarnut

fcarnut

14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

how old is your mom?

15. Mooneyes!!!!!!!!!!! Head North on Harbor Blvd, turn left (West) on Imperial Highway. Go to Norwalk Blvd turn right (North) and watch the big Mooneyes on your right up the road aways. Note; this is the North from Annaheim scenic street route taking in the fast food places etc...without going on the freeway

16. X2 on this. I've seen the collection and it's very impressive. They even have a Tucker. No hot-rods in this collection though.:eek:

17. LBCD

LBCD

since it's not all car oriented, here goes....:D

You will want to do a day in Long Beach. The Queen Mary is awesome and has a tour you can take or you can just roam the decks and take in the VIEW then get some food. From there you can head over to San Pedro/Palos Verdes, it's only 30 minutes away but the drive is cool... you will see the Port of Long Beach and take 2 bridges to San Pedro.

San Pedro has Ports O'call, a museum, old architecture and some nice twisty roads looking over the ocean. Then Head up to Palos Verdes, you are overlooking the ocean with a bunch of original WW2 bunkers on the hill above you. Then head over and check out the WW2 museum and fom there find a place to park at the top and see Catalina Island and the
    Santa Monica bay.

The 710 FWY into Long Beach and the 110 FWY out of San Pedro are really easy to navigate.

You could do it in 10 hours or less...start early!

18. Tee

Tee

If you're planning on taking in the NHRA museum, check NHRA.COM to see if there is a twilight cruise night. Usually a Wednesday at the start of each month I think. When I've been about 300 to 400 cars show up. It's great!

19. calorchard

calorchard

20. Send you mom to the Getty mansion and/or the Getty villa while you are looking at cars. By the way, what is she interested in. Keeping her happy is nice and it will get you more trips. What part of California will you be traveling in? Sequoia and Yosemite are great.

Charlie Stephens

21. D-man313

D-man313

going to be right around Anaheim, moms getting her disney fix so shes happy, now just planning some other spots.

22. The Nethercutt. There are 2 ways to see it, a museum/showroom that's open to the public and the tour. You need to make reservations for the tour and it's totally worth the effort.
    http://nethercuttcollection.org/

Common mistakes that visitors make are:
    Long Beach and Santa Monica are not the beaches to visit. Instead go to Palos Verdes, Laguna Beach or north of Malibu to see some of our best.
    Venice is NOT representative of the people in So Cal. It is a collection of moochers and weirdos. Avoid it.
    So Cal is a world famous vacation destination. Like any tourist place there are assholes who will hustle and scam you. Be aware. Ask here when the time is closer. Be ready to have fun.

23. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

tons of fun in LA.

visit...

H&H Flatheads, 4451 Ramsdell Avenue, La Cresenta.

Ed Iskendarian Racing Cams, 16020 S. Broadway, Gardena (Dont miss Compton).

Masterson Kustoms. 11039 Atlantic Ave; Lynwood.

Old Crow Speed Shop, 52 E. Palm, Burbank.

Hollywood Hot Rods, 40 E. Palm, Burbank.

Barris, 10811 Riverside Drive, N. Hollywood.

Circle City, 931 W. Hoover St. Orange.

Limeworks Speed Shop, 7717 Greenleaf Ave. Whittier.

Hot Rod & Hobbies, 2769 Gaviota Ave, Signal Hill.

LUNCH at Philippes 1001 N. Alameda St. Awesome.

Get a tattoo at Tattooland, 2641 W. Lincoln Ave, Anaheim.

Dave Lindsay has tons of info here...http://www.socalcarculture.com/

The Early Ford Store, 108 West Bonita Avenue, San Dimas

24. banditomerc

banditomerc

Just get on the freeway and travel quickl.......never mind!LOl.Seriously though,driving across town mid morning is not that bad.:eek:

25. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

We went to Disney a couple of years ago. As a surprise, my wife had planned a day to go over to SoCal Speed Shop. I was blown away. We showed up 20 minutes before the shop tour, and Jimmy Shine came into the front area and talked with me and my son. We were a bit star struck, since we had watched all of his shows on TV.
    We left, and came back for the shop tour, and were lucky enough to be the only ones
    that showed up for it that day. We got to hang out a bit with Jimmy, and he signed a
    couple of my magazines that I had (he was on the cover) and even took time out to
    take a picture, and talk about his Dad's car, and some other cars that were in the
    shop, and on the TV show. One of the guys told us about the NHRA museum, right
    down the street, but we didn't go. Not knowing that is where the California Kid,
    ZZ Top's 33, and other SoCal cars were located. We did get to see Jimmy's truck up
    on a lift, but I was soo damn excited to be there, that my pictures of it turned out
    blurry. It really made the whole trip, with 3 kids, and 2 dogs, in the a crew cab truck
    worth it.. even if two of them threw up in the back seat on the way there..

26. D-man313

D-man313

thanks everyone. anything else that im not thinking of?

27. Lots of good info here. If you are doing the Peterson, plan the better part of a day for that. It's huge and there's lots to see. Don't sell yourself short. Plus you can spend the rest of the day doing the Hollywood thing - Chinese Theater, the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Sunset Blvd, Rodeo Drive etc.

Do the NHRA (much smaller) So Cal Speed, Bobby Waldens, Kennedy Bros and early Ford Store in one day - they are close to each other and not tons of time needed.

The Nethercutt in Sylmar http://nethercuttcollection.org/ is very cool and there would be a lot there for both a car guy and his mom! Plan on three hours minimum and make a reservation

As for the Beach, Huntington Beach (Surf City USA) is the best representation of So Cal Beach for a tourist, Newport is also good IF you know where to go. Venice is full of Freaks and Laguna is full of Fruits.

Also you and Mom might like Knott's Berry Farm as well. http://www.knotts.com/ America's First theme park!

28. Special Ed

Special Ed

:)

You cracked me up pretty good there Don! :) The segue from fruits in Laguna Beach to suggesting Knott's Berry Farm was just too cool!!!! :D

29. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

My wife and I just came back from a trip to Northern California. While in San Francisco we went to the Turd Museum. Don't laugh, they had a lot of good shit there. Some of that crap is worth money:)

30. D-man313

D-man313

Is LARS the same weekend every year?