Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Mother Of all Dash/Gauge Threads!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Besty34

Besty34

57 Bel-air in my sixties style 34 [​IMG]

2. ALABAMA ANDY

ALABAMA ANDY

I didnt have a clue what on earth was going in to my chopped A Sedan.
    Then all of a sudden & completely by accident it all came together.
    Cut'n'shut'n'smoothed 40 Ford dash with the centre from a 36 dash grafted in ( including 36 waterfall trim ).
    Guages are from a 57 GMC pickup mounted in a 'winged' panel underneath.
    Switches from a 64 Bug.
    Steering wheel from an English Ford Pilot ( old show car "California Dreaming" from its first build in 77 ).
    Dont know weather it'll be painted or left in bear metal ? the same as the car will probabily end up.
    Will get pics up once its in the car.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  3. Dash in my '47

Attached Files:

4. F1 Flathead

F1 Flathead
    from Michigan

Here's mine. I cut the fuel gauge out of my 29 roadster tank and mounted this straight 5 panel in it's place. [​IMG]

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my large logo SWs

6. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

not a good straight on pic...my stock dash i plan on woodgraining this winter..and a custom banjo i had built...thinking of making an extension also woodgrained below the dash to hide the a/c vents,etc.

Attached Files:

7. Victress-Hemi

Attached Files:

8. 2935ford

2935ford

and mine.

Attached Files:

9. fordcpe

fordcpe

Here is the dash on my 34 Ford 5 window Coupe. I like the oval guages.And the young one is my tag along goes were I go

Attached Files:

10. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

[​IMG]

...Mine now...

[​IMG]

11. luvzccr

luvzccr

the flow of your dash is so flawless and beautiful, love it!

12. jipp

jipp

the older i get the more my eyes seem to go.. no need for glasses yet... but im sure in a few more years.. iv been looking at gauges this week since Ryan brought up his gauge post. and most of the gauges on the market have these real small crammed together stylized font that just make all these new gauges hard to read.. these large logo SW rock my world. hell even the old SW guages i have from the 60s are easier to read than what iv been seeing on the market today.. and what these guage makers calling vintage should just say styled font, with a vintage cream color so give us your money and shut up.. laughs
    chris.

13. [​IMG]

1934 Plymouth

BloodyKnuckles

14. 1948 F1
    stock dash w/added 56 Fairlane speaker grill
    and a Mileage Minder vacuum gauge lower left

[​IMG]

15. Great thread! I've made my dash decision.:D

16. lukey

lukey

17. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

18. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

19. 64 Bonneville...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

Your basic AFX dash as in the Wild Child.

Attached Files:

21. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Here's the dash in my '32 under construction.

Attached Files:

22. noxided

noxided

23. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I wanted to large gages to fill the existing holes in my 32 essesx terraplane gage board. So I found 2 stock gages from 62 studebaker lark on epay. Only had to increase the existing hole ID by 1/8 inch for the lark gages to fit. I will have to cut holesfor a small oil pressure gage and volt gage in the upper left and upper right of the large gages. I payed less then $100 for all four gages instead of $300 for aftermarket gage set. Here is a mock up picture of the lark gages in the dash.

Attached Files:

24. Putting a 49'ish Dodge truck body onto a 95 Dakota chassis & floor pan. I decided to try to keep everything "Dakota" as I could because a) finances wouldn't let me buy all new stuff b) makes it easier to troubleshoot when something breaks.

We made bezels & retainers to hold the Dakota's gauges into the 49's housings, and I mounted the original Dakota gauge carrier and circuit board above the steering column support. We fabricated a small "extension harness" to plug into the backs of the gauges that fastened onto the original pins on the circuit board. I wanted to keep the idiot lights, so a buddy of mine made a small harness of LEDs that we glued into little foam blocks that we stuck into the original idiot light housings that we pirated out of the gauge carrier. The LED's wires are stripped and folded over a piece of bakelite and jammed into the little plastic light bulb bases on the circuit board to provide power. I JB welded the housings together, painted them, and glued the "film" with the pictures / words of warning onto the front of the old housings. The idiot light bar is going to hang under the dash just below the control knobs in the center of the dash. I'm also very likely going to paint the needles for the gauges off white to eliminate that fluorescent orange color. PM me if you want any better photos or explanations of how we did it.

Attached Files:

25. If you look carefully in the second photo, you can see the 4 center gauges sitting on the transmission hump and the extension harness connecting them to the pins on the circuit board on the (white plastic) instrument cluster carrier mounted inside the dash. This way all of the factory connections on the circuit board remain as is.

26. jipp

jipp

i really like these gauges, easy to read has everything you need.. i like a tach but i can live with out one.. great score.
    chris.

27. Cerberus

Cerberus

Dash I installed in my '56 Delray. Comes with green or red lighting. Blue for high beam and amber for turn signals.

Attached Files:

28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or Catalina! Coolest looking dash and instruments ever!

29. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

OEM dash from a 46 Olds. Keeping it looking original however upgrading movements. The amp gauge will be changed to volts; oil pressure changed to 100psi, water temperature changed to 240, speedo to 140mph and clock converted to quartz.

Attached Files:

30. bigroy

bigroy

47-48 frazer/ kaiser dash's I think would look pretty sweet in a mid 30's roadster or coupe. anyone seen this done? these are the 2 best pics I can find on the net

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011