Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 48 Anglia Thames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1slikwilly, Jun 16, 2011.

1. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

I have a 48 Thames, have owned it for probably 7-8 years, and just never had the time to work on it,
    but I decided it wasn't gonna get done by itself, so Here it is

The car was previously owned by a guy in San Diego, he started work on it in the 70's I think, but never finished it,, and it set in his garage untill 2001.. when he sent it To Oregon for his Brother ( happened to be my neighbor)to finish,but before he got started , the owner found a 57 chev he liked better, so the Anglia got Pushed out side, into the Oregon rain,, thats where I found it. and bought it,
    I had other projects going and kept putting the Anglia off, untill just recently..
    this is where I started ( I know I'm gonn catch some flack for this) BUT this is what I did,,,
    the chassis that was under it was ok,with c/o . a 4"dropped tube front axle, a 57 Olds /pontiac r/e , vega steering, ETC,
    I know this was pretty much the old style of build,, and wrestled with the idea of changing it over to something a bit more up dated,,but because I do want to race the car some,, but also drive it on the street, I decided to
    up date a little and ordered a Chris Alston, chassisworks tube frame kit,
    I already had a winters Q/C I wanted to use,for the street,, and a 9" R/E for drags,, both cut down to fit the chassis, whether I ever race it or not,,
    I used the independant A arm / rack and pinion steering Alston F/E,
    ETC

The first pictures show the old chassis, I just recently sold it to a guy tht is going to put it under a 49 Auston p/u
    next is the C/Alston chassis build

Attached Files:

2. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

C/Alston Anglia chassis

Attached Files:

3. Looks like the body is in pretty nice shape. I would have stayed with a straight axle, but hey, that's just me.

4. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Welcome to the board. That thing looks serious!

I like the checker board ceiling in your shop, hahaa!

5. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

Yeah!! I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to do,, I really liked the nastalgic looks of the old chassis, and kinda sorry i didn't keep it way,, but what the hell.. :(too late now,,
    I've grown to forgive myself:confused::D
    on the second group of pictures,, when setting up the frame rails,, we went by the same dementions of the other chassis which was 24" apart, we tacked it all up and set the front clip on to check for clearance.. :eek: the friggin tires wouldn't turn,, the hit the fenders big time,, so I had to cut the front of the frame off just aft of the back a-arm mount,, and move the front rails in 2" on each side, and gusset the hell outta it,, worked out great,, mounted the Q/C and 4 link,, using a wishbone locator ,,,

6. Mine uses an adjustable 4 link with a wishbone locator as well, with Koni coil overs, all mounting a Dana 60. Been that way for about 40 years

7. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

Thanks for the input , I really thought long and hard about changing it over,, and still kinda kick my ass for changing,, but what the hell:rolleyes:
    I was after the huge components in a little car look ,, like the hotwheels cars:D

EDIT The body is in excellent shape no rust anywhere, cept a little surface rust where they left it outside in the Oregon rain for a couple of weeks before I found it.. paid 1500 bucks for it,, no motor of tranny..

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  8. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

Thanks sinster ( like that handle, reminds me of my boss woman:D)

The ceiling has HOT ROD spelled out with the black squares,, just painted sheetrock,, painted whole sheets fo S/R and cut into 24X24 squares,,

9. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

More

Attached Files:

10. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

and more:) This is my Grandson Cooper and #1 helper

Attached Files:

11. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

Will post more later my finger is getting blunt on the end from pokin buttons

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

God I love those! When I seen your pic's I thought of the old one I had in the shop many years ago, thought it was the same body but you seem to have good history that proves otherwise! Keep the pic's flowing!

Attached Files:

13. Van looks in great shape.Diggin' the Winters axle.Got a feeling you won't be able to see it under your bodywork.Shame as it looks the business :cool: or is that what you prefer ;)
    [​IMG]

14. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

your moving right along on the Anglia, i'll be watching the build

15. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

It does look close doesn't it? maybe its the way the picture was taken,, but your's looks like the grill was laid back,, probably cause of the brown hood in contast to the gray,?????? what happened to that one?

16. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

I still have some modifications to do on the rear panel below the doors,, plan on putting some wheelie bars under it so alot of that lower panel will be notched out,, I definately prefer the winters to show some,, lots of money there to be covered up ..:D we are presently working on the rear fenders and the inner structure,around the wheels,, hopefully I can get away with out raising the fenders, or wideing them.

17. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I become obsessed with small details that would probably drive others crazy. In this pic you posted, I really like how the top of the grill is flush with the top of the blower pulley. That leads your eye right into the engine without it looking like you just stuffed it in there. Very nice!

I'm really diggin' that scoop, too!

Attached Files:

18. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

I could lie to ya and say thats the way I planned it ,,:rolleyes: but actually thats the way it turned out, which I also liked,, isn't much choice on where a BBC mounts in one of these things.. I had to get it up high enough to clear the ground with the deep pan,, But You do have a good eye,,,
    I have a hood but don't want to cut it up,, wouldn't be much left,,
    the scoop is kinda a knock off of the old Greer Black Prudholme (sp?)scoops, made a mock up out of posterboard, taped it all together, for a visual and size, then used the pieces for patterns,, I have been serching for some woven aluminum or stanless mesh for the holes in the front, and the inserts in the grill,, but can't find a place that sells reminates,, just keep looking I guess..

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  19. :D Spookily,that tyre/axle set up you got under your coop is what I got planned for my van.Yep,the axle is a Kings ransom,especially getting it brung to Hertford England.The wife was so amused :mad:
    [​IMG]:D

20. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

few more No room to mount the alt, in a normal fashion,, so I mounted it the only way I could find,, and thats backwards,, ,, its actually for a Kabota Tractor, 100 amp but about 1/2 the size of a reg alternator, any aklt will charge either direction as long as they have the internal cooling fins, and not on the pulley

I had a full set of Baer brakes,(track series) that I had bought for another project,, but sold before I finished it, but the rotors were way too big for the wheels I was using ..( So I will use them on My 69 Bonneville,)so I had to buy some smaller ones,, they are aerospace components, from Jegs,, reasonablely priced, and built for race applications,, so they should work,,
    the wheels are the new Rocket knock offs,, 180 bucks each,, backs are 15X12 fronts are 15X 4 1/2

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  21. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Is there a big truck (semi) wrecking yard around here? The perforated screen they wrap the smoke stacks with is stainless. Might find something that works that way.

Just a thought...

22. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

Good idea,, I did find a place in north portland that makes woven stainless belts for conveyers.. but they only sell in complete units,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I just need a couple of scraps,,
    might have to take up weaving:)

Ther is some truck W/Y's over off Columbia blvd..

23. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

After I posted those pic's I thought maybe I shouldn't have on your thread, sorry if that's not "polite"!
    What you are seeing is a pic of a pic, that's the distortion.
    Thought it went to AZ, Colorado area 15 years ago?
    Thanks for postin your build!

24. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

A Kings ransom for sure,, I know that running gear for that Rats Glass 33 was a FORTUNE,, everything was polished, tranny, R/E Kugal F/E, I would get booted off here if I posted pictures of all that shiney stuff but its on my albums ( link is signature):D but it was right around 10 K for the tranny and R/E..
    We built it for a customer,,, too much for me,,,,

25. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

26. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

The Thames has always been my favorite car. I fell in love with this one at the Nationals a couple of years ago. Will be watching you build with interest.

Attached Files:

27. choprodz

choprodz

Your Thames is KICK ASS!!! I just finished wiring mine. First time wiring and it has not burrned down yet.... I will be watching this thread as I love these things. Im with you on crazy over the top parts on a little car, very cool. Keep the pics coming.

Attached Files:

28. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

No Problem at all with posting the picture,, :D
    glad you did

29. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

I saw that Thames at the NSRA nats in Louisville Ky a few years back,, probably the same time you were there,,,it was Hotter than the hinges of hell that day,,,,( I used it as My avator on another site,) his buddy has a sedan painted almost like it except green,,,Bitchin cars,,,

30. 1slikwilly

1slikwilly
    BANNED
    from Oregon

like this one? are both those yours? looks like the blue one is gathering a little dust? need to get it out and blow it off,, I'm getting antsy to get mine running,, its been a long project,, honey -do lists always seem to have priority

Attached Files:

• 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      213.8 KB
      Views: