Register now to get rid of these ads!

47 1/2 or 3/4 ton ford pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phlyntstone, Jun 17, 2011.

1. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

I have a 47 ford pickup that i am trying to id. I have looked around on here and cant really decifer what it is. It looks like a 1/2 ton but the frame numbers start with IGY not 799 or anything that would lean toward a 1/2 ton. It has the normal 5 lug pattern 15 inch rims so i am thinking 3/4 ton possibly. Does anyone really know how i could figure this out or what the differences would be. Not sure that it matters too much but it may be handy in purchasing any parts the are specific to one or the other. Thanks everybody!

Also the wheel base is 114" fyi.

2. 3/4 ton should have 8 lug wheels with floating axles in the rear.

Does it have a fender tags what do they say?

3. R Pope

R Pope

If the wheels are 5 on 5 1/2 its a half ton.

4. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

It is 5 on 5 1/2. The more i looked into the numbers on the frame i kept reading it like it was telling me it was a 1 ton which i know it aint that. But just trying to figure things out slowly i guess. Thanks guys.

5. dudley32

dudley32

Can you post pictures? I'm sure everyone would love to see what you're working on...d32

6. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

I will try to. I need to because i put a rear end under it because it didnt come with one, i have my 114" wheelbase but the wheels look too far forward. The leaf springs were original so all i did was mount a rear end to it. Give me a coyple hours and i will try and have some pics posted tonight.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

1G means it has the early six, replaced with H designated one middle of 1947. G had front distrib, H sideways.
    I think it should likely be 71G in there, with 7 meaning '47 and the 1G being the engine designaton...*71GY-########*
    Y means it is a one-ton truck, same market niche as the former 3/4 model. Don't know much about these but pretty sure Y and 15" 5 lug wheels don't match. One ton had 17" according to one reference here...
    Look at rear axle...does it have a center banjo casting with left and right axle bells bolted to it (1/2ton), or is it asymmetrical, with differential housing cast as part of one axle housing, bolted to another separate housing (truck)??
    This is probably a mixture of stuff based on a truck frame with commercial axles or something...need to ID each component to see what you have!

8. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

I got the truck without the rear axle. Springs and shocks are there but thats it. Truck is basically frame, body, and front axle. Trying to post pics now. It is rough but its mine.

9. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

this is my ford
    DSCF2008.jpg

DSCF2009.jpg

DSCF2010.jpg

10. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

looking at the number on the frame it reads *IGY <--> 30####*

11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

From the pictures, it looks to be a 1/2 ton. It has the small front fender openings and the 1/2 ton box. The heavier trucks have a much bulkier looking box.

12. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

I appreciate the help guys

13. dudley32

dudley32

Nice old truck...

14. gas pumper

gas pumper

Very nice old truck.

I really hope you are going to keep the fenders.:)

15. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

they probably used the same frame on 1/2 and 3/4 trucks. the diff is likely in the suspension, wheels, rearend and axle.

the truck is a thing of beauty as is.

16. mtflat

mtflat

IIRC, 46 was the year without a number at the front of the serial. As Bruce said, 71GY would be a 47.

I'd say this truck is a '46 based on the serial number.

Depending on locale the year on the title noted when it was first registered - regardless of when it was built.

It does look like a half ton but anything is possible. Nice looking truck.

17. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

Looks to be a 1/2 ton to me also. I hope you keep the rear fenders , as they are unique to this seres of Ford trucks. I see these trucks with incorrect F 100 rear fenders all the time.

18. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

Personally i like the look of it and for $400 i loved the look of it. I want to keep the original look as much as possible. Just a matter of finding parts for it. Thats the hard part

19. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

a very good score and $400 was a great price , should be a fun ride

20. dudley32

dudley32

want yer money back...:D

21. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

Nah. I think i am going to keep it