Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Chevrolet Fleetline "AngelBaby"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MentalClinic, Jun 3, 2011.

1. baremetal48

baremetal48

Very cool ride! I like you'r truck also..

2. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Thanks man!

3. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Yesterday I mounted a set of Warner foglights, looks great. Can't get to many accessories! ;)

Some pics on the engine! I belive it's the original engine that have been "hotted up". The only thing I know about the motor is that it runs great and looks to have been restored sometime also the transmission is painted red and have new bolts mounted.
    Dual Rochesters on a Offenhauser intake and Fenton headers, Wayne covers.

Here is some new pix...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Nice Fleetline, enjoying the updates!

Wicked splitty too, almost bought one for my new project, but the '49 Caddy won out :)

5. Woody's Hot Rods

Woody's Hot Rods

Cool car AND cool truck!

6. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

what the hell! you got done a lot in very little time.
    I love bombs, you just need adjustable suspension, preferably hydros, and youre set.
    paint is sweet.

7. Orn

Orn

Very nice Chevy-bomb and the split VW is a killer!

8. oc dave

oc dave

Great looking fleetline there,just lower it and ad skirts nothing else needed! Show more pics of that truck too.

9. dudley32

dudley32

Nice...I'm for the skirts and a drop too !!
    d32

10. Killer ride man !!

Rat

11. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Rad looking fleet!

Where does one find these ^^ rain deflectors?

12. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Thanks for the comments guys, always good with feedback!! :) And I agree, a lowering and skirts are a must on a bomb, and is already in the plans. I ordered some dropped spindles/uprights and blocks from Jamco last week. Hope they ship it out soon!!

It will look so cool lowered!! Im not sure if im going to use airride or hydros. Suggestions? Hydros would be cool and traditional lowrider style. Airbags seems easier tho and a better ride quality?

I know pretty much how to slam the front, but I would like some suggestions on the rear (leafspring)!! Everyone who airbag the rear, add 4 link and notch the frame and add a bridge. But when looking at some lowriders with hydros they look pretty untouched in the trunks. That what I would like! Im dont want to cut around in the frame and body too much, and it dosent need to lay bumpers! Just low and adjustable.

What should I do? Suggestions and pictures would be awsome?? Thanks!!

13. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

before you do much more i suggest you take lots of pictures. you have what i remember as a "cool" ride from my high school days. i graduated in 1960! you have a true slice of Americana"! enjoy it!!

14. dudley32

dudley32

It is parralel leaf rear suspension..right..just do lowering blocks..you are'nt making serious horse power..It will be fine...and cheap...:D...d32

15. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Yeah I agree Larry! Im driving it so much I can this summer, great car! I love it. But when it parked in the garage for the winter season. I can get some work done on it. Like the lowering. Lowering blocks? Sure...but I want it adjustable, dude! :D

I was thinking a little on the lowering of the rear. I saw that Suicidedoors sells alot of custom air ride parts. Since I dont want to mess around to much with the grinder and welder in the otherwise all stock body and frame. I was thinking to remove the leafsprings and weld in custom brackets in the frame and mount own bars setup with airbags, then I wouldnt need to notch or make a bridge etc. I wont get the same/good travel for the rearaxle like with a stepnotch but it would still be low and only used when parked and slow crusin'. And if I really need to get the rear in the weeds someday, I could always make a stepnotch later. I made a quick sketch on how I mean the setup would look like. What do you think? Suggestions?

[​IMG]

16. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

I have seen this design used on mini trucks before.It works very well.I am in the process of getting together the pieces to put a two link system under my 51.I will be using the arms and front mounting plate from a 65 chevy truck.These are long enough to sit the car almost on the ground without sacrificing the rear seat room.It will have to have a c notch in the frame though.

17. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Sounds intresting! You mean something like this? Could you use the stock driveline with this setup?

[​IMG]

18. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

I found this setup on Airbagit.com. Wonder if this would work on my stock Chevy rearaxle???

[​IMG]

19. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

i am sure whatever you do will be fine. Too much make up on a beautiful woman sometimes turns class into something less.

20. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

there is plenty of specific after market parts to either bag it or juice it.
    Ask Gambino, he'll send you in the right direction fer sure.

21. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

No updates for a while! I have mostly been driving it on the sunny days. But I have installed a CD/MP3/USB player for some tunes. More updates will come! Here is some random photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone have some cool GM 1950's accessories, Im intrested! The old owner in USA of the Fleetline was RUBEN RAMIREZ from Carson, California. If anyone know who he his or how I can get in touch with him, let me know, always fun with history on a car!

22. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Have anyone bought stuff from WWW.COOLCARS.ORG ? Im looking for a complete air ride system for the Fleetline. Since im not from US, I dont know what places are best to buy from. Dont want to buy stuff that never comes or have to wait 6 months for. Like a said I need a complete air ride kit (bags, tank, compressor, lines, fittings etc) + rear 4 link. Any suggestions? I liked the look on the kit from Coolcars with chrome tank and dual compressors!

[​IMG]

23. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Today I freshed up under the hood. Sanded and painted the inside fender walls and heating tubes. Cleaned up the engine and polished the radiator and started to fix the old twin horns. It starts to look good! Some pix...

[​IMG]
    Someone had painted the horns in a thick red paint. Time for paint stripper!

[​IMG]
    Anyone who have a wiring diagram for the horns? Cant find one...

[​IMG]
    Really cool

[​IMG]
    Finished...one more to go...

[​IMG]
    Paintstripper + sanding + poooolishing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still need to fix those hood springs tho...

24. Dr. Ike

Dr. Ike

damn dude, i like where you're going with this. you guys over there are keeping this hobby alive.

25. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Thanks man! :)

26. RayMiller

RayMiller

Dude I wouldn't change a thing, that is one badass ride. Bomb style for sure! Please don't go overboard with it like so many guys do, its perfect the way it is!

27. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

I agree! I will "just" add airride, and thats it! And maybe put on a really nice paintjob in the original green color in the future. Nothing to radikal! Im going for the lowrider bomb style not kustom. ;) Just my taste...

28. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

I found this Fleetline on the web, thats what Im going for!

Attached Files:

29. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Somebody with better computer skills than me might put up some pics of a guy named House, he has one of the best looking ones that I have everseen, plain & clean. I know you said not custom, but I've also always liked Harold Johnsons. Roger

30. MalibuKasey

MalibuKasey

Awesome car man! Drive the piss out of it!