Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Anyone remember Pete Dean of San Diego?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tequila Bob, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Tequila Bob

Tequila Bob
    from Michigan

I have his roadster from the fifties. It's a '31 and was known as "Mother's Cookies." He ran the Southern Cal dry lakes and Bonneville. He was a member of the San Diego Roadster Club.

Thanks.

I am trying to find info and pictures.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes I remember Pete. He was a good guy. The only thing of his I have is a bronze SDRC club plate that Pete gave me. It was his before it became mine. It will remain mine.

3. Tequila Bob

Tequila Bob
    from Michigan

Relax Rich. No one is trying to take it away. All I'm looking for is information and copies of photos. I'm trying to put the car back the way it was.

4. 59wood

59wood
    from Dago, CA

That's kool that your working on put back together history back on it's place. Have you tried to get a hold of San Diego Roadster Club for this info your looking for? I would start there and it may lead you to someone that may have all the info you may need to put the car back together... Just a thought unless you tried already and getting know where with it...

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

My dad says he remembers the car but not pete. He said it was a real nice car.

6. 296ardun

296ardun

Wasn't Pete Dean killed at El Mirage a few years ago, in a roadster?

7. Tequila Bob

Tequila Bob
    from Michigan

The Pete Dean that owned this car died of cancer quite a few years ago.

Here is the car as I found it in Bisbee, AZ

Attached Files:

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Only Pete Dean that I knew was past president of the SDCR. Big guy and an attorney. Pete was fatally injured at El Mirage driving a roadster Pickup in the mid eighty's. You might try Russ Eyres, [email protected]. He would know.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  9. That's the Pete Dean I remember too Rich.

10. Normbc9

Normbc9

I knew Pete Dean personally when I lived in San Diego. he'd stop by a Custom Car Builder's shop named Marty Moore. Pete was an affable guy and had a true love for fine cars and great workmanship. He'd join us on occasion at the Glenn's Drive-in at Eigth and Market Streets and then we'd walk over an browse the cars at Street & Sons Auto Wreckers on Island Street. He was missed the moment he became ill and couldn't visit with us any longer. Joaquin Murrietta of the Bean Bandits was always giving Pete some builders advice.
    Normbc9

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It would appear that there were two Pete Deans. The Pete I knew from the Roadster Club was married to Judy.

12. This is the Pete Dean that had a 32 three window that is now down here in NZ and owned by Gary "Grease" Martin as aussiesteve referred to.

13. RAY With

RAY With

WOW seems to be 2 Pete Deans who were both car nuts. May prove to be a big challenge to unravel. The picture of the roadster should give a clue as to who is who and it appears to be close to one of a kind. Additional pictures may help with the idenity. Good luck with the project and if you cant get any information and want to dump the car send it my way. Texas always has a little room to spare--LOL

14. Mike

Mike

I reckon your thinking of Joaquin Arnett.

Joaquin Murrietta was a folk hero / outlaw who robbed stages coaches in California in the late 1800s.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  15. danwal215

danwal215
    from san diego

"I reckon your thinking of Joaquin Arnett.

Joaquin Murrietta was a folk hero / outlaw who robbed stages coaches in California in the late 1800s.
    "

I reckon Arnett may have robbed a stage coach or two.....

However I can tell you for certain that Pete Dean of the San Diego Roadster Club died in a Roadster crash at El Mirage.

No question about it.

His accident is the reason we run 2" seatbelt straps.

Dan,

16. Normbc9

Normbc9

Yes Mike,
    You are right. he was the funny guy who brought out cans full of "Something." Then he'd get an empty put a funnel in it and begin mixing his racing fuel concoction. Then they got into the flathead with the 180 degree crank. They were genuine Field Combat Mechanics too. We'e pit just down from the at Paradise Mesa. There were some very memorable afternoons there in 54-59.
    Normbc9

17. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

As Dan sez, Pete died in an El Mirage crash in 1984, the year I was SCTA President.
    Pete was a great guy, would help any body who needed his expertise. I asked my board of directors to rename the sportsmanship trophy which is awarded annually after Pete. We did this and I still get flack to this day from some people.

DW