Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Displacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Beautiful Pop art. The paper negative spaces rock. I'd Love get up close to one of those 5 ' pieces.
    Takes me back, very nostalgic. 'Water slide'.. When I was a kid here in Adelaide, there wasn't much $$ paint on cars, so the young cats would use waterslides on their cars. Most of them were 15-20 y.o english Fords, or old Holdens. A couple of reversed wheels & no exhaust pipe!:cool:
    Kid $$'s = STP', 'Bardahl', Roth stuff on the rear 3 windows.

Thanks Ryan.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i love the details of the printing process of the decals. the way the colors overlap. neat stuff.

4. sinticket

sinticket

Awesome....got a little warm fuzzy feeling looking at these...beautiful

5. badshifter

badshifter

Bitchen, man I remember as a kid sitting at the kitchen table with a tupperware bowl of warm water trying to get those decals to slide off in just the right spot. Gonna have to buy a print for the shop.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

not feeling it at all. I like the old models and the cool decals, full sheets would be cool to see blown up, or even partial sheets that show some individual decals. those all just look poorly cropped to me.

I guess the poor cropping makes it "art" ...

7. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

Very cool!!

I love stuff like this

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hilarious... I'd call it genius cropping.

9. Hmmm. Might need a little roadtrip to Philly. Looking on his website, I see his show is up until next month. 'Bout time for another pie run.

But in this case, can you say, "Philly Cheese Steak???!!!"

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  10. Most of them grabbed me a couple didn't, but man what a great concept. So simple and brilliant.

11. cheveey57

cheveey57

Wow & to think all I ever did with them is dip them in water and apply them crookedly to
    A car
    Art is art and it isn'for everyone but, I dig some of those shots, thanks.

12. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

I still have several of those old sheets in my decal box. Great memories.

13. froghawk

froghawk

Kinda cool stuff. Since I'm in Philly, a graphic designer, and a model nerd from way back, I'm going to have to check out the exhibit; those should have much greater impact at the actual, mega-enlarged size.

14. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

15. Takes me back. Did anyone else put these decals on there sun glasses as a kid? I know I did. "Cool Hand Luke" "man with no eyes" sun glasses with Hilborn injection and Moon Eyes stickers. lol

16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

man i hate trying to put on old decals! that yellowing takes precision!

But from an artistic standpoint, they rock. very creative. well done.

17. Ryan, you ought to see if he can swing through Austin with this. Isn't there a gallery on the west side of Cesar Chavez that would have a show like this?

18. Dec.1968 i found out a class mate built models too
    thought i was all alone building models until this guy spoke up..i bought a legal size mannila envelope full of decal sheets from him for a dollar had to skip lunch for 4 days to get the money together...there was at least a hundred sheets inside... going way back in time to when his older brothers built models in the 50's..mostly car but some boat and plane ...i had to put it in my locker to avoid the science teachers wrath and after next class found someone had stolen them
    i was crushed still am..
    no...padlocks were banned cuz some kids had locked other kids in the lockers for hours ...and had to be rescued
    this whole transaction might of been a planned multi person scam all along .. never will know who took em...
    although i have many older sheets now that day for an hour i was "king"of decals
    thanks for posting this topic

this path led to studying plastics, graphic arts,auto tech.selling /trading parts.....car magazine collecting.. and now hoarding models and real cars,....

there is something in the look of these decals that just grabs me..thanks again

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  19. |Tom|

|Tom|

Ahhh.. neat!!

20. I agree. It's a shame that the website photos are cropped to the edge, they would have more impact showing them in context, ie: on a wall with people in the photo for scale.

21. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Not any ground breaking art here for sure, but cool and I dig it none the less.

22. Cool stuff, I'd like to see that exhibit.

As an old time graphics person, I have always loved the B&M Hydro Stick guy

[​IMG]

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool! Begs the question though - "Why didn't I think of that?" Or "Is it really art, or just something cool?"

24. flamingokid

flamingokid

Hit and miss,but overall I like it.

25. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Neat idea....and the answer to this question ^^^^ depends on who you ask.:cool:

26. Church

Church
    from South Bay

I think the crops were very well thought out and not completely random. Giving enough information to identify it for what it is, and not over sharing. Mis-registration is part of what makes them cool. Silk screening these with metallics would be bad ass.

27. fryguy

fryguy

Very neat idea. Since its right close to me, I'll have to get ride together to check out the exhibit.

28. I like the waterslides that were individually printed on a sheet. You didn't have to trim them real close...just cut 'em apart. When models started to get cheesy and cheap (70's), you'd get a whole sheet of decal images that were one piece and had to trim them as best as you could. They didn't stick for shit either. How many times did you think the decal was ready to slide off the backing paper, only to have it split in two when you forced it a bit?

29. Yep, that one's killer. I couldn't find one anywhere when I wanted to do a model of 'Greased Lightning' (the white version), so I made up some decal sheets.

Here's the link, although I'll have to upload the image of the sheet again...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191380&highlight=decal+sheets