Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heat riser y block single exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Im putting the stock single exhaust with crossover back on my truck untill I can get rams horns. I noticed the heat roser doeant open. I bent back the tap on the spring where it catches on the pin. Now it opens freely. Im just worried now if it doesnt open due to that. Os there anyway of testing it withough being on a running motor?

2. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Does your oven have a window? Put it in there and heat it up to a few hundred degrees.

3. Yeah I guess I could try that

4. I was told to go ahead and cut the flap out of the heat riser. I might just go ahead and do that.

5. BigChief

BigChief

...that or just wire it open.

6. ABone312

ABone312

usually will just cut out the flap and then weld up the holes so there is no exhaust leak and put it back in place.

7. Thanks you guys. I guess I will just take it all out and weld up the holes. Honestly I dont know much about welding, what type do I have to.use since thus is cast iron.

8. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

If you don't know what you're doing this ain't the place to learn. Cast iron is easy enough to crack and break if you do know what you're doing.
    Either do like Big Chief said or tap the holes and screw a plug or short bolt in there.

9. Thanks 48. I will just cut the guts out and tap the ends then put plugs in it.

10. Well unfortunately while taking the guts out of it, the piece snapped in half. It was very brittle. So now what to do?

11. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

You could make (or have a fabrication shop make) a spacer out of thick plate, to replace it. Or put up a wanted ad for a replacement--- in the classifieds or on the auction site; I'm sure someone would part with theirs.

12. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Have a muffler shop cut the pipe and weld in a piece same length as the spacer's thickness. Just extend the pipe to reach in other words.

13. Well im gonna have to do one of those that have been suggested. Thanks guys.

14. TERPU

TERPU

I have a pair of Y-block Rams Horns and will be coming to the LARS this weekend. I know this isn't the classifieds but I'll sell 'em to you for what I paid for them. $300.00 and they are cherry. It seems like you need some and I'm not using them right now.
    PM me if you want 'em.

Thanks,
    Tim

15. Thanks terpu, pm sent!!!