Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '62 Ford Unibody LSR Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctim64, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Good luck, put some cardboard over that rad for protection!

2. rebelrat

rebelrat

Did it pass ? (stupid question I know it did)
    wired the Thames today,no fire's lol

3. Looking back, I can't believe it was only last September that I bought this thing from this awesome Craigslist picture during a job site visit...a lot has happened in all aspects of life since then. A birth, 2 deaths, and a race truck...

I'm sure excited for you Tim...still trying to make B'ville work...hope the day was great @ Elmo today.

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Todd, did I miss something? I was under the impression you and Tim were in this together?

5. Big day yesterday, we loaded up and headed off for El Mirage to see what the tech guys had to say about our project. :D
    [​IMG]

Four and a half hours later and we are at one of the best places in the world.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We pulled into the tech lines but they put us off to the side since we weren't looking to run this weekend and just wanted to have the truck looked over. While waiting we got a bit of attention and a little advice from helpful people. :rolleyes: Finally after about an hour wait we got our turn and to make a long story short we got a big thumbs up. ;) There was a couple of things that need to be added but that is to be expected. They did think our gussets were very nice. :D

[​IMG]

Kiwi Steve likes it! Said it looks even better in person :D

[​IMG]

Sportin' my "Flat Cad" shirt. :D

[​IMG]

Todd is still very much part of this project, he has had some big changes in his life over the last few months so he has not had much time to spend with us but he will always be a member of the crew!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  6. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great looking build and nice cage. Regarding the technical approval of the "knee tube" gusseting rather than the flat plate specified in 3.B.1, I wish the SCTA would update their rulebook so that this "tribal knowledge" is readily available to all LSR car builders. I built our RMR in 2009 with knee braces rather than plates ( on the advice of Joe Timney) and sweated it through Speedweek tech in '09 as an inspector told me that the plate style had been emphasized as the type to be looking for when the inspectors had their pre-Bonneville meeting. He was "counseled" by other inspectors and the knee braces were approved. I guess I'll have to submit a rule change request (not that others haven't done this already) even though I am a lowly BNI-only member. Being 2200 miles away, it is not always easy to get approvals done via email in a time efficient manner. I know they (SCTA) try hard (especially for an all-volunteer organization) but this is a rule deviation of long standing acceptance and they should have updated the rule long ago.Hope to meet you @ Speedweek. vic ( Builder & Crew Chief #1429 ?/GRMR, formerly #325 D/GRMR, current record holder 243.618 mph)

7. Good point Krusty, while talking with these guys (Jim pictured) they all seem to think that there should be updates to the explanation and the picture. Said the picture/diagram is getting a bit old and worn out with all the additions over the years.

I sympithize with the guys that live states or even a nation away, it is nice to be only a few hours away from an event where you can talk to the techs in person but they are very helpful and I found Kiwi Steve very cooperative tech support via email. Just take lots of pix at every angle. ;)

8. Good job, I see the brace/gussett thing on this board and the LSR board as well. I agree, clarification is needed. Especially for us new guys not "in the know"

9. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The whole "tribal knowledge" aspect of accepted rules variances really sucks, especially for those of us who cannot haul to ElMirage for pre-tech or have an inspector drop by the shop. I did consult with Joe and Keith of ECTA and pre-teched at Maxton before Speedweek '09, but still was anxious that the "West Coast" guys would not see things the same way. What suprises me is that one of your inspectors (perhaps including the Chief), who is undoubtedly an SCTA club member, and who believes that the rule should be updated, doesn't submit the change request himself. He is the person in the best position to lobby for the change. Where's Stew Beef :D when you need him? (Hi Nathan!:) ) I think that a lone voice from the East would have a lesser chance to gain support from SCTA club members. End of thread hijack. vic

10. I am in luck, had a HAMBer who is also an inspector that wants to come to the sticks and inspect mine when the time is ready!

11. Ain't you the lucky one. ;) I'll see what I can do about that fuel tank this week, if there is no hurry maybe just hand it off at Bonneville.

12. Wow Tim, that would be cool! Thanks. Cant wait to see this truck done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

13. Maybe I should ask you guys. I've been intending on painting the truck but lately everyone seems to think it would look great out on the salt in "Patina" What do you'all think? New paint or patina?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

of course in the end I will do what I feel like.
    :p

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Paint that bad boy! If you go with the original colors that would be even better. Then you could tell people you're going to race your push truck.

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Here's another vote to paint it!

Tim and Todd, I think you guys did a fantastic job on the truck! I'm glad tech went well for you.

Tim, you are one sharp dresser- kinda like a guy out of that GQ magazine!:D

See you in August.

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great progress, Tim!... This whole project sure has moved along quickly. :cool:

My vote is to leave the patina as-is and no new paint. New paint and body work is just more time and $$ that you could put into making it faster! :)

Malcolm

17. mlagusis

mlagusis

I agree with Malcom. Looking forwarsd to seeing this truck on the Salt!

18. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-----------------
    Yep....and just for grins :)D), to complete
    the illusion, maybe put a trailer hitch on the
    back too! And if you need any ballast in the
    back end for traction, you could maybe make
    the hitch really solid and 'extra, extra heavy
    duty'!

Mart3406
    ==========================

19. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

One more vote for paint...you have put all of that work into it...make it pretty as well. Seems like the whole "Patina" thing has turned into the next step beyond primer with folks thinking that rust is an acceptable alternative to paint.
    I like Mart's idea for he hitch if ballast is needed, you could always get one of those frame mounted hitches made out of 2" square tubing and fill it with lead shot. :D

20. daddio211

daddio211

I love the look right now, but knowing how hard salt is on NEW cars makes me wonder how fast the patina will become Swiss cheese. If you were racing El Mirage and Maxton and weren't taking it to Bonneville I'd say leave it, but salt is one mean bitch.

21. Very good point! When I got back last year and was cleaning my '58 it was amazing to see the clumps of salt falling off with rust on them already. I think I have taken a few years off that trucks life. :p

22. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Haha, hey Vic! I will personally admit that some of our inspectors can be a bit narrow scoped and can't always see the forest from the trees. I personally am a big fan of tubular gussets and have no problem accepting them (when done correctly of course). The point of the gusset rule is to triangulate and strengthen a welded tubular junction or joint and whether it be plate, tube, or a formed gusset, when done correctly, they all get the job done.

I will also let you guys know that for the past few months I've been bending Kiwi's ear about our gusset rule and I think I'm starting to get him to see the light. Actually he sees the light and knows we need to do something about it but I'm trying to leverage more out of him considering the fact that he's the one that builds chassies for a living, not me. My goal is to have some kind of additional guidelines for tubular or formed gussets in next years rule book and if I have to do it all on my own then I guess I will give it my best.

Tim, I showed up late and only saw a glimpse of the truck. Kudos to you for your progress and for having the foresight to have it pre-inspected.

23. rick finch

rick finch

24. Paint it, I forget the actual wording of the rule but it has something to do with "appearance".

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  25. The Gambler

The Gambler

leave it...I love the whole push truck "sleeper"! great build thread, you sir have skills!

26. Tim I say leave it as is and just put a couple coats of clear to protect it.. Even though it's in it's infancy as a race truck, it kinda has that battle hardened, kick your ass, junk yard dog kinda look to it.. Like the old guy sittin at the end of the bar that looks wheathered and beaten, but the idiot who picks a fight with him ends up wishing he was never born... Yeah that's the look.. :)

27. rick finch

rick finch

Tim, some of the prettiest machines on the planet are Bonneville cars. Not only are they engineering marvels, but they show pride of ownership.....so, I'm gonna repeat myself.....paint it!

28. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

---------------------
    Jeeze....at B'ville, even so-called "push
    truck sleepers
    " as you put it, are usually
    painted and made to look at least as
    decent and professional as possible,
    damnit.:(

Mart3406
    ===============

29. Go with YOUR gut Tim...I think the truck, even with the few bruises it has, will take paint very well, and look awesome among the all-out LSR efforts out there.

As much work as you put into making the axles & engine look perfect, it seems like the thing to do, IMHO.

30. chevymike

chevymike

Hey Tim, it's chevymike. I talked to you Saturday. Great truck... even if it is a Ford. LOL Can't wait to see that thing ripping down the course.

Here are couple pics I took.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck!!!