Register now to get rid of these ads!

newbie/ 30 plymouth build thread

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 30plymouthcoupe, May 30, 2011.

1. 30plymouthcoupe

30plymouthcoupe
    from pevely mo.

Hi, I'm 32 year old Ryan from St.Louis mo. I've been bummin around this site for a good couple of years, and one day created a profile to buy stuff from you guys for my 30 plymouth build.For starters, great site! I wanna thank everyone for helping me by selling me things at good prices, and for the shared wisdom. I found what would of been a great barn find in Illinois, barned since the early 70's this car was an all baby blue gasser,including frame and interior. If someone could I.d.it then I would be overwhelmed.Evidentally in the 80s the 2 sons of the late owner cut out the big block,(I had to fix the frame where it was torched.They also cut out the 4 point roll bar, ladder bar brackets were still there. Basically they brush painted the car red, the frame black. I seen great potential in this coupe because it had virtually no rust on body, or frame. It didn't hurt that the body was nicely channeled over the frame either.:) First I'll post some pics of how I bought this thing in october of 2010. Thanks guys!

2. Welcome from Florida!!

3. 30plymouthcoupe

30plymouthcoupe
    from pevely mo.

232.jpg Not too good looking of a car. However, I seen alot of things that I could change on this car for making a world of difference. Not much rust on this old rascal though! It did come with the 2 piece top hood,(not the sides) and it came with the fenders which were sadly stored outside while this was inside. Can anyone i.d. this car from Illinois yet? Like I said, def. had a big block because I had to repair where it was cut out, and at one point it was baby blue, frame, body, interior, and all. It raced in the 60s, probably at alton, had a roll cage, etc. at one time. And, by the way, the future hamber hanging out in the car is my son. He likes rusty cars and junkyards just as much as his dad.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  4. 30plymouthcoupe

30plymouthcoupe
    from pevely mo.

[​IMG] This is where I began to fix dings, small dents, cut out aftermarket gussets and steel from frame, etc. Oh, and I put in a set of 1959 Thunderbird seats that I scored for $20, and I painted them with that crappy vinyl spray they sell. I will eventually have a complete tuck and roll interior, but as you can see from the pic that I'm not quite there yet. lol I almost forgot, by this point I had also installed a new rearend that was wide enough to get my tires past my quarters. It's a posi 10 bolt with disc brakes

Attached Files:

• 167.jpg
      167.jpg
      File size:
      506 KB
      Views:

5. ToDieFor

ToDieFor
    from MN

Nice man! Welcome to the Plymouth club!

6. 30plymouthcoupe

30plymouthcoupe
    from pevely mo.

Here's an idea of where I'm at with the car. Nothing is complete yet, but it's a project. I started some scallops for fun, but again, nothing is finished yet

Attached Files:

7. 30plymouthcoupe

30plymouthcoupe
    from pevely mo.

I scored a pair of aluminun brake drums from a 50s Lincoln. They worked great, after I had to use my existing drums and put it longer studs and just sandwich these over the top running the new longer studs through the holes in the aluminum drums. i have to take these back off to get them blasted though. They need cleaned, and I don't know what the hell i was thinking by putting chrome paint on them.lol Rookie mistake. I also drilled my axle. Well, much more to come, but what do you guys think so far?

Attached Files: