Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ruins of detroit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RuFFDaWG, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

your probably right Bigcheese

2. agtw31

agtw31

the same thing was going on in west Cleveland back in the 90's.

they were trying to revitalize the area.

a lady i was dating owned a laundromat in an old mansion

she got 60k from some foundation to rehab the place,but she had to borrow 100k to get the 60k

3. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Great old picture!! Would like to see a current shot of this area, if anybody has one.

4. F&J

F&J

If you can get the address, do that google street view option. You can kind of walk up and down a street and look at both sides.

I did that a few days ago after reading this thread; I used the satellite view zoomed in first, then found city blocks that had almost no houses left...then used the street view. I was suprised to see that some streets looked like country roads with trees and bushes taking back what was once prime building lots. Pretty amazing to see.

5. F&J

F&J

When you zoom in on an address, there should be an icon showing in one corner, of a cartoon person. You click on that and drag it to whatever point on the map.

Sometimes, if you can't drag the icon guy to a spot, that means that area was never photographed by their special camera car. Should work in any part of a big city though.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Well... At least I tried... :(:)

7. Deuces

Deuces

I remember in the mid '80's when Michigan Ave. in Dearborn was being repaved... They were digging out the trolley tracks that were buried some 10-15" deep from being paved over so many times... Wish I had a camera at the time to take pictures of how Michigan Ave. once was... There's still buildings in use since the early 1900's.. I've seen one building that was dated 1919...

8. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

9. Deuces

Deuces

10. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

Two ads in this pic are vintage Detroit, gas ranges and Strohs beer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorite

[​IMG]

11. Deuces

Deuces

12. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

JLEBLANC31...I grew-up in New Orleans and was totally un-aware of this "distribution plant". Exactly where is it? DD

13. Tommy R

Tommy R

^^ What he said. I want to look for it next time I'm back home!

14. The Green Channel (yes Martha, he said The Green Channel) has a series of 1-hour documentaries titled ' Detroit In Overdrive' -if you can find it on your cable, satellite or otherwise, it is worth your time to see some good things happening here in Detroit....Enjoy! -Mark

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/vid...-pressure.html

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/vid...-hometown.html

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/vid...ake-jeans.html

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/vid...the-riots.html

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/vid...t-in-overdrive

15. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

I want to make the factories and the ballroom into old school auto shops. I hate to see such waste.

16. olskool34

olskool34

thunderkiss65, Awesome pictures. It would really be a shame to see what that same area looks like today. Is that Woodward? I don't see any street signs but the Woodward Arcade tells me it is on woodward. If I compared pictures taken now with that last pic you posted, I bet I would feel ill. What in the hell happened to our city. WHat a shame. Just look at all those incredible signs, all gone now as well as the people.

17. BigPoppa

BigPoppa
    from Denver

I obviously don't come to this board very often so sorry to dredge this up, but this post bothered me. It's about as racist as it comes. They immigrated there just like any other group. Any issues with the Mexicans and their burritos in Southwest Detroit or Poles and their cabbage in Hamtramck? Is that considered a "blight" too? How about Italians in Brooklyn or Puerto Ricans in NYC? Some groups have very strong communities that have settled and grown, and why is that a bad thing? Geez...

18. Deuces

Deuces

I'm Italian... :cool:

19. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

There is a major middle eastern presence in the Detroit area, but the predominant ethnic group in Detroit itself is black, not Muslim or middle eastern.

20. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

If the Civil war ended differently, we wouldn't be in this shape.

21. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

You may be right

22. slammed

slammed

Who 'won' was the banksters. They funded both sides, and control (destroy) to this day. See Detroit? They are done with us (worker bees). More pix, from the locals please!

23. Wow, this is why they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I think they may have underestimated that based on those pictures. The old building have such beautiful style and character, and to see them in this condition is literally heart breaking.

24. outlaw256

outlaw256

you are so right on many fronts,im from the south and my pride says the south should have won the war.but im afraid there wouldnt be a "we" if the south had won.

25. goodgarb

goodgarb
    from TACOMA,WA

:mad:As a baby boomer that came from a family of hard working men that made America the Industrial Giant that it once was i am angry and sad at what we have become, consumers of throw away products produced in a country other than our own.

26. Deuces

Deuces

Ditto!....:(

27. BigPoppa

BigPoppa
    from Denver

I took a "drive" down some of the old neighborhoods using google earth. Not a very cheery look but still cool. 91 Manchester St Highland Park, MI is the location of the old Ford plant

28. Tommy R

Tommy R

Does anyone know where to find a copy of "Ruins of Detroit"? It appears to be sold out and the very few copies I can locate are several hundred dollars! Yoink!!

29. akarse

akarse
    from Brighton