Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Aussies: Cooly Rocks On

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deu55, Apr 16, 2011.

1. rodl

rodl

Tuesday 07 June- 6.00pm- "K.O.A. Social BBQ" at KOA Clubhouse, Mudgeeraba Rd Mudgeeraba. (Gold Coast Hinterland Heritage Centre) UBD 48 18B

RodL:)

2. Deu55

Deu55

Won't be able to make it coming down Wednesday...RodF..

3. hudson48

hudson48

On the way today( Wed)after lunch.Bringing the Riv.Has anything firmed up on a HAMB get together?

4. autobilly

autobilly

I'm sure they'll be around during the weekend Rod.

5. rodl

rodl

I'l be down Friday AM - work went beserk this week! 0419 676 376

rodl

6. Jdudl3

Jdudl3

6:00 PM - 8:00 PMSHANNONS SUPER CRUISE
    Kirra/Coolangatta/Tweed Heads

Is anyone doing this on Saturday night? It will be good to get a few hamb people going. I'll be heading down Saturday in a 2 door 55 bel air and will be bringing a camera!

7. toranaback

toranaback

Hi guys i willl be heading down for cooly, look forward to catching up with some fellow local hambers!
    mick

8. rodl

rodl

Reply to Jdudl3 the Saturday & Sunday street cruises need to be booked in at the ticket office. I'll be in a white 55 Cussy NAV 131 Sunday night. Zone1 for Saturday show n shine

rodl

Twin Pipes n Pin Stripes

9. autobilly

autobilly

Great weekend (apart from the weather), felt just like Wintersun. Speaking of Wintersun, I heard that it didn't go so well.

10. rodl

rodl

You're right there, the mates & I have been calling it Coldy Rocks On! Iknow several people who came back early!! Not impressed. I guess we'll know for sure next year, cos Coffs Harbour is smaller than PM.:eek:

rodl

11. rodl

rodl

Did anyone see any other Hambers? I left a Tag on my dash, but no calls. Saw Wizard of Oz' radical Wyvern, but not him!

If we're going to do this - need to start planning now! Back to '63, KOA DriveIn Night, lakeside 'All American Day' many others - take your pick.
    Come on Guys - all it needs is YOU to be a goer!

12. Deu55

Deu55

Had a great time ,was great to meet up with Autobilly .Also Wizard of Oz and Toranaback...Went down on the 8th and had no Internet so didn't see post's after that.I agree that it would be good to have a local meet and greet at an event....Rod...

13. autobilly

autobilly

This article was copied from the Tweed Echo local independant newspaper site. (www.tweedecho.com.au).

Kate McIntosh
    As Tweed and Coolangatta rocked out over the long weekend,the hijacked Wintersun festival in Port Macquarie was labelled a wash out. Thousands turned out for inaugural nostalgia festival Cooly Rocks On, which organisers say exceeded even their own expectations. Meanwhile south of the border, wet weather played havoc on the Wintersun festival, which was being held in Port Macquarie for the first time since leaving its long-term home on the Tweed/Coolangatta border. There were reports dozens of revellers abandoned the Wintersun event and headed to Coolangatta after it failed to measure up to expectations, with a number of major dance and hot rod clubs also bypassing Port Macquarie. In an embarrassing snub for organisers, Port Macquarie rock and roll dancers were also seen on one of the floats in the parade at Cooly Rocks On.
    Some attendees took to social networking sites Facebook and Twitter to vent their frustration at what they say was organisers’ poor planning and lack of communication.
    Wet weather, however, failed dampen the spirits of revellers at Cooly Rocks On who turned
    out in droves for the classic cars, vintage fashions and rock and roll entertainment. Committee member and Destination Tweed CEO Phil Villiers said feedback from locals and businesses had been overwhelmingly positive, with many motels and holiday parks in Tweed at capacity over the long weekend.
    While official crowd figures were still being tallied, initial estimates suggest numbers had equalled or even exceeded attendance at previous Wintersun festivals. Mr Villiers said the success of Cooly Rocks On was vindication for organisers who backed the event. ‘It really added confirmation that it is the place that is the key and the facilities that we can offer here,’ he said.
    Port Macquarie-Hastings Council and Events NSW worked in partnership to controversially secure the Wintersun festival from the Gold Coast where it was held for 15 years.
    While crowd numbers for Port Macquarie festival were well down on the predicted 60,000, many festival-goers said they would be back for the next Wintersun due to be held in Coff s Harbour in 2012.

‘My wife and myself and our two boys had a great time at Port for the Wintersun,’ festival-goer Ken Lamborn told The Echo. ‘We are planning on attending the Coffs Harbor Wintersun next year, but will not make the trip to Cooly Rocks as I will not pay the ridiculous accommodation prices that are charged to stay at Coolongatta/Tweed Heads. ‘My personal opinion is that the Wintersun should not be held on the same weekend as Cooly Rocks as both events
    suffer,’ he added.

14. fat141

fat141

Any comments to be made after this years event?? Pictures are even better, I live 20 mins south of Coffs and I see MANY MORE cars about when we just have an event at Valla.
    Sorry to other readers, guess this is just an Aussie thing.
    For the record, I did go to Cooly for a couple of days and as usual it was tops.
    Cheers
    Rod