Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally solved my starting problem.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Double Caddy, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Last year I put in a 454 in my 1953 Cadillac. She would be hard to start once she got warm .I backed the timing off so it would be alittle easier to start.With the warmer weather kicking in I didnt want to get stuck until she cooled down. I was asking around to see what could be causing me problems.I found out that I had a way too small wire from the altenator 12 or 14 gauge wire and was using a 4 gauge wire for the starter. I now have 4 gauge wire from the altenator to the battery and 0 gauge from the battery to the starter. I was also removed the ford solinoid that was bleeding voltage allowing the the starter to stay engaged so I just moved the cable over to the other side and ran the starter coil wire over to the starter. There were too many junctions and too small of wire. Fixed all that and she fires right up. Tonight I am going to bump up the timing back up. Yaaaaah. oh yah the three amp stereo didnt help either from my car stereo days.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. ToDieFor

ToDieFor
    from MN

Nice! Good for you!

3. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Added more timing, 39 degrees total runs real good now plus she will fire right up when warm too :D.