Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mocked up some side boards today....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, May 20, 2011.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I really like this one out of the two.

2. Mart

Mart

Could you use the same lettering style as the Old Crow on the doors?
    Should the TU3 be TU-3?

Mart.

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Nice truck! Yes,go with the orange. Nice colour balance with the black truck and the red jerry cans.

This your truck Bob?

4. badshifter

badshifter

Nope, he's got it right. Looks cool, get out the paintbrush!

http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/TENproject.html

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hey,over here in England land people call sideburns "sideboards". I opened this thread expecting to see a photo of Bob wearing fake Elvis 70s style facial hair! Can I get my money back?
    Paul

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Bob,
    Lose the phone number. It's confusing and adds nothing. It serves no purpose....leave that area blank for awhile...less clutter=more cool.
    At least try it without...you can always add it later.

7. Hey Bob i like the side boars but lose the phone but mybee add the letters S.C.T.A. Also go with the red letters with black back drop on one side only to give the lettering the effect they are moving.

In your post i saw Horne's truck and it gave me a flash back to the late 70's. I had a friend how sponsered me with oils & solivents. He would deliver the oils in an old ford truck painted a marron red with wooden side boards painted in Yellow (Hunter Oil Co Santa Anna ca) if my memory is correct. Anyone else rember that truck or have any pic ?

8. YES, that was Creiaton Hunter, great guy. He ran a red T track roadster at Santa Ana Drags in the 50's, number on the car was 00, story goes Dean Moon made eyes out of the 00, that's where Dean got the idea for "MOON EYES".

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  9. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

I agree with Mazooma about the phone number...the orange rendition will look very cool on a nice stained wood..my 2 cents...BB

10. Hey CW'S40TPU Yes it was Creighton Hunter i used to do work for him in the late 70's and he told me the same story. I just check your about me and it looks like we crossed alot of the same paths. I am a good friend of the Strapher bros Chuck & Fred the owners of Bell Auto from the 70's. I even got to drive at Ascott 1 night. Hope to talk to you in person someday soon.

11. Okay...how's this look? I made some changes...
    [​IMG]

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Eh.... too blocky. Needs more style.

13. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

14. I was just going to mention that.....there is one on that site called "motor oil 1937 m54" that i think looks cool. Also, I think it needs something between the two names. either your number or .......something.

15. I like that Motor Oil 1937 style. Think i'm gonna use it for the El Mirage part. Thanks...

16. 60'coupe

60'coupe

Hey Bob I like the side boards but my be add the S.C.T.A. logo.
    60'

17. It was told to me that SCTA is really touchy about using their logo. So,I won't be using it.

18. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Bob, Ya got to stain / clear coat the wood first. It's too light, it will look better darker. Then, call me, I have a sign painter buddy that will do it for free. A gold leaf drop shadow would look awesome.

19. slammed

slammed

Give the letters some forward motion. And if the red gas can stay's the lettering needs a color change. Too much red going on. The stain work needs to be done before the final color choice for the lettering. Its key.

20. jfrolka

jfrolka

I think the font your putting on the boards clashes too hard with the old crow lettering. Try matching the old crow lettering and use leafing with drop shadowing.

21. X2 on the orange.

22. Come on guys....that's just plywood for mock-up! I'm doing the lettering myself,Bobby. You will like what me and Craig came up with....

23. nofin

nofin
    from australia

Only my .02c, but I don't think the block style print matches the lines of the truck, or the old style signwriting. How about this? Font is called Brush Script Standard. You could print each letter the size you want 1 to a page, cut them out and draw round them with a pencil onto the wood. Then just colour between the lines.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  24. I have a new design,that i'm going with. You guys will just have to wait and see....No block letters now.

25. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I think you should paint your wheels......lol

26. plan9

plan9

this is a good mock up, lettering and positioning.

put your push bar on and ask Bobby to push start the tank.

27. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

NOW, if you can get it out to El Mirage.....................................?

28. The wheels will be red,and the caps will stay black. Sometime soon,I hope!

29. It already has a push board on it!!! haha!
    Like I mentioned before,the design has changed,and I will be working on it after Ink-n-Iron.

30. SOON!!! In July....