Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Help save a Dirt Track Speedway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boldventure, Jun 6, 2011.

1. boldventure

boldventure

Ocean Speedway is a County Fairgrounds and 1/4 mile Dirt Oval that has been operating since 1959.
    Now a fellow that bought property nearby a few years ago and moved his Victorian house onto is upset because the Fairgrounds/Speedway makes a lot of noise. So much noise that he has started a petition to close the facility.
    Click the link to sign the opposing petition:
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/saveoceanspeedway/

Nice support editorial from the local TV:
    http://www.ksbw.com/video/28050608/detail.html

2. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Cool editorial!
    Definately sounds like the TV station is on the side of the track!!
    That sure doesn't happen very often!!!

3. Locally some folks with big bucks tried to get our drag strip closed down because of the same sort of reasoning. it was finally determined that the strip was there prior to the rich folks buying property and moving in there and that they should have known of the noise or investigated prior to building.

You are in a different state but it may not hurt to start circulating that sort of thinking. Maybe someone will go hey sounds like good common sense to me.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  4. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

It's no different than moving in next to an airport. Pre-existing condition.

5. What the hell is wrong with these people. The track has been there for over 50 years and some jackass moves in and wants everyone to cater to him.
    It's about the same mentality as asking why there aren't girls in the Boy Scouts or going to Kentucky Fried Chicken and wanting a Hot Dog.

6. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

I hate to hear this, I worked at Altamont the last few years before it finally died. Same deal, track has been there forever and some rich A-hole moved in next door then complained about the noise and the track lights. We fought like hell to keep the old girl alive but in the end Alameda County put so many restrictions on us that we were no longer able to turn a profit and keep the gates open. I urge everyone out there to fight to keep your local tracks alive!

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Big difference, a airport is considered a entity "for the greater good of the community" a privatly owned, for profit, race track isn't. If they think more homes will be built nearby without the race track there, chances are the track will have to go. The goverment will make much more in property/sales etc. taxes on homes than they ever will on a racetrack. Petitions are all well and good but in the end it's going to come down to lawyers, guns and money (well, maybe not guns so much.) Here in Colo. we've been around on this a couple of times in recent years and neither ended well.

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I hate stupid people.

9. Fenders

Fenders

Some people are assholes -- they move in next to a Rod and Gun club and then object to all the shooting.

Same thing happened to the local piggeries..... now they don't collect our garbage....

10. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I assume you're reffering to KCIR,they did have a long battle and prior to that a curfew,which as far as I know,is still in place.

Our old HAMB friendly pal Carl Blanton had the same trouble at MoKan but after several years and thousands of dollars finally prevailed.
    (thank God there are still a few common sense judges left in this world)

The Fair Grounds Speedway at OKC has gone the way of the dinosaur to make room for more Horse (shit). They could've shared it as after all it was originally a Sulky track anyway. "TAPS"

11. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

Having lived in the NY Metropolitan area for 54 years and growing up in oval track racing for as long as I can recall this type of thing has gone on forever in the northeast and there is not enough time for me to cite the tracks that got closed when development closed in. Some gradually got their operating days and hours cut down piece by piece and others got the dreaded sound limits that choked them out.

It really stinks and unless the local politicos really rise to the defense of a race track the NIMBY's wear everybody down.

I hope the track prevails.

12. ems customer service

ems customer service

you guys wanted obama and this is the result

13. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Alot of dirt tracks are coming under fire. Though dirt tracks are at the heart of some of it, short tracks in general are hurting. I think about all the cool short tracks that guys raced on in the day and now they are nothing but ghosts of the past. Poor management, lack of enthusiam and location have all played a part in the pits being closed.

14. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

I grew up at Watsonville speedway ! I had the honor of being the general manager for a couple of years, just before the current promoter re-named it Ocean speedway.
    The track was built in the spring of 1960 and has been used continuously since then.
    This person moved into the fairgrounds backyard, and now he wants to shut it down !
    I hope the fairboard directors have the guts to fight this guy...
    With the state budget problems right now the fair needs every event that it can book...
    Dave

15. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

while I am no fan of obama,, I dont think this is his fault.

16. Dchaz

Dchaz

Almost the same story as Cowtown Speedway, Kennadale speedway and Texas raceway ( 2 dirt tracks next to each other and a drag strip across the street) in kennadale Texas. A bunch of assholes with money had houses built a couple of miles from the track then tried to get them shut down. The city basically told them to stick because with out the tracks the town would have been broke a long time ago.

17. Jeez...

1) Don't bring (national) politics into this...

2) Obama had/has nothing to do with this particular case.

3) There's been noise-related track closings for many years....

Would you want to be blamed for issues concerning Howell's sheetmetal? Didn't think so...

Back to the original topic in progress.

18. boldventure

boldventure

Thanks for the replies and...
    BTW...don't forget to sign the petition to save the Speedway!

19. uncle buck

uncle buck

He would be sure you know that it was a problem created by the prior administration. LOL This has been a problem for decades as houses are built closer to tracks.

20. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

This is the same scenario that is goin on with the altamont speedway here near livermore.stupid guy buy property builds a house.now tryin to shut it down.I need to check and see if there is any petitioning for the altamont.

This sucks

21. rick finch

rick finch

......and it relates to this issue how? Take your politics somewhere else, not the HAMB.:mad:

22. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

WOW! That has got to be hands down the "DUMBEST" thing I've ever read.:rolleyes:

23. filthy frank

filthy frank

no problem , burn his house down , he'll move !

24. oldpaint

oldpaint

I live in Jackson, MN home of Jackson Speedway, 1/2 mile dirt track in operation since 1953. It is located at the county fairgrounds and owned by the county.

Every once in a while someone new moves into town and complains about the noise. They are quickly shot down because the majority of the people in Jackson love the race track and the revenue it brings into town.

25. stockcar33

stockcar33
    from so-cal

I hate to here this crap. I used to race at ASCOT now it gone Saugus speedway gone too so if we can help keep this one open i say lets jump on it and sign the Petition.
    good luck. 33,

John 3:16

26. Four Banger

Four Banger

"You wanted Obama, now this is the result"???? WTF? HOW can you even REMOTELY tie these two events together? I am a registered Republican.....You on the other hand are dumber than a sack of shims. I sure hope you don't vote......

27. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Same type crap has happened near our 109 year old firehouse. People moved in and then complained about the noise the horns make when they go off. The standing joke is these same people probably won't complain when it's their house in flames. Never underestimate the power of idiots, though.

28. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Take a look at my post. He didn't try to shut us down, he did! Thanks for the support though. My entire family worked at Altamont and while it did have its issues the place still ment a lot to our family and all the great people we met while working there.

29. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i think the obama comment was ment as a joke. or i hope it was! lighten up fellas. the noise/racetrack problem is going on all over the country. nashville (fairgrounds speedway) is in a fight for its life. we bought a house close to it, but didn't know the track was THAT loud.go figure. local dragstrip now has a curfew because of local politician. has to be thru by certain time.like it has been said before"common sence ain't so common anymore!

30. hemi gasser

hemi gasser

Signed it, good luck!