Register now to get rid of these ads!

No gas coming out of full tank? 51 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caseyscustoms, Jun 2, 2011.

1. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

First off this is a Dumb question, but why am I not getting any gas to pump out of my full tank? Stock 1951 chevy tank. Doesn't have a pickup tube just a line coming out of the bottom of the tank. Brand new electric fuel pump seems to work fine. I saw gas barely drip out of the line.

What could be the problem here? A huge chuck of rust in the bottom of the tank clogging the line?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance

2. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

it's because it's a stock 1951 chevy gas tank. :D rust, yes rust.... or marbles, or used condoms or......

3. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

Possibly rust. Electric pumps don't suck so maybe you need to prime the line.

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

There is a fitting where the line goes in the tank,have you taken out or loosened the fitting to check yet or not. Be careful, have the right size plug ready in case you need it.

5. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

I was wondering this too, if the clog is actually in the foot or so of gas line and not so much in the tank. I'll pop it off tonight and see if thats where my problem is

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

My old '50 Chev coupe ran great untill I tried to drive anywhere, then it would quit. As soon as it stopped, it'd start right back up and run untill it moved again.

Know what it was?

A mummified mouse was floating drifting around the tank, and would get sucked up against the outlet tube as soon as the car moved. Stop, it'd drift away, and the thing
    would run like a Swiss watch.

Brian

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  7. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

flynbrian: i had the same prob on a 72 firebird. my dad thought i was nuts until he took it for a spin. someone had put a paper bag in the gas tank. it eventually fell apart and the movement rolled it into these strange, firm, paper balls. what's happening is that the clog is not total but allows some gas to the engine but not enough to get it down the road.

8. Zurekbrau

Zurekbrau

What about a vent for the tank?

9. Take off the gas cap and see if the flow changes.

10. yeah i think you just need to vent the tank also

11. gotit

gotit

How close to the tank is the electric pump? Pumps like to push not pull.

My 48 ford would run like a top for a while and quit out. I would pull the fuel bowl off and it had a great amount of suction. After that it would start back up and run great for a while. I pulled the tank out and it had scale rust built up in it. Cleaned that out and now she is good.

Have you blown air the opposite direction through the fuel line to see if it clears the passage?

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Yeah, blow air back into the tank with the gas cap off. You should here bubbling. Also check venting of gas cap to see if that is how the tank is vented. Some are vented with their own vent tube that usually runs alongside the filler neck. Get venting right and clear the fuel line and try again.

13. couple things to try are when you disconect the fuel line coming from tank to fuel pump how is the flow? steady or trickle, steady is normal trickle obstruction. hook up gas can into fuel pump and monitor result if it runs fine drop the tank clean it out reinstall it and away you go. as for the vent issue that just usually makes it hard to fill and ends up puking fuel all over the place when you do. good luck.

14. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

I blew the line going into the tank and it broke free, I drained the tank and blew it all out. Then threw 5 gallons in to drive around the block. Went about 2 miles and quit pumping, I'm pretty sure something stuck in front of the line again.

I'm gonna drop the tank and clean the living hell out of it tomorrow. I think I got big chucks of shit in there. Lol maybe mouse carcasses in the tank are common. :)

15. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Like the others said, you need a vented gas cap or it will stop the flow of fuel just as your experiencing. You can't buy any type of cap for your tank. It must have be a vented cap.

16. RichG

RichG

Have you replaced the rubber lines?

17. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

I had the same problem.I t was my gas tank.I had a shop boil it out and seal it.I also ran new lines to the pump.She purrs like a singer now.

18. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

really why would it need one now?

19. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

sounds like the line is stopped up.i keep reading pumps dont suck??i use one all the time to get gas out of my truck for lawnmowers etc.

20. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

It's likely rust in the tank. It forms at the top of the tank where the metal is not covered by gas and condensation happens. Every time you had a bump it falls in. Have you checked the filter for evidence? Also the new ethanol gas is eating the old varnish in tanks causing it to flake off. And ethanol eats rubber fuel lines. The old rubber is softening up and clogging the arteries. Change all your rubber lines to the hoses with the teflon lining.

21. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

it's just rust and crap in the gas tank. jesus..... i got a freebee dirtbike once and it had a spoon in the tank.