Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bob McGinley "Mr Tune Up", Another Minnesota Legend Lost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUNROOFCORD, May 28, 2011.

1. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

I received the sad news this morning that Bob left us last night. He lost his wife Jan in December. They had been together since they were teenagers. Bob ran a small auto repair shop. If Bob couldn't fix it, nobody could.

Bob will be remembered for his Drag Racing Days with first a Fiat and then a '32 Ford (hope I have this correct), both called "The Scag" The grille with the painting of "The Scag" still hung on Bobs Garage wall. "The Scag" name came from wife Jan when they first met who thought Bob was spending time with his car that he should be spending with her, so she started calling it "The Scag"

In more recent years, Bob built a '32 Ford 3 Window with an Ardun Motor as well as '38 Plymouth Coupe with Speed Equipment on the original Flathead 6 Cylinder. He had owned a similar '38 Plymouth in earlier years.

In March Of 2010, Bob, his son Mike, and his Grandson Bobby put together a 3 generation car display at the 54th Annual GSTA Rod And Custom Car Show. Bob had a car at the 1st Annual GSTA show in 1956.

http://www.gstarod-custom.com/

I believe he was also a founding member of "The Strokers Car Club", a GSTA member club still going today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  2. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Bob's Son Mike's '64 Falcon

Attached Files:

3. Rick S

Rick S

Sorry to hear about Bob. My condolences to the McGinley family.

4. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

good guy alwalys willing to help out

5. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Man this just stinks ,one of my hotrod heros a nicer guy you would never meet ,always a friendly hello ,I used to run into him at one of our favorite yards almost evey year ,we are losing our heros and a alarming pace I just dont like it! well there must be a hell of club up there!!! god speed my friend ...Gord

6. titus

titus

RIP Bob.

Mike and family, my condolences.

Bob 32 race car "the scag" was in a old hot rod magazine, in some drag racing coverage, back in the late fifties, dont remember which one else id scan it and post it.

JEFF

7. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Thanks guys for the comments. When Mike McGinley feels up to it which I am sure will be awhile, I'm hoping we can get together and put together a nice in depth article on Bob that I think he deserves in the Linechaser. My late father and Bob used to hang out in the same Garage when they were kids.

I've heard many stories about the Caulkins Roadster. Bob would always tell us about his ride in that car out Cedar Ave. and how fast it was. I'm sure Cedar Avenue was still an old country road then.

Another old timer that shall remain nameless told me "That car was a piece of Junk".

Unfortunately. I don't believe any pictures exist of the car. Too bad.

I'm going to miss Bob as much as I miss my Dad and there stories of the old days.

Gord, missed ya today at the picnic. Even Brad was there.

8. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    So sorry to hear about Bob's death. I had my HAMB dragster across the aisle from him at the GSTA show & we visited about the good old days at Minnesota Dragways quite a bit. Always a class guy.
    Here's a pic of the Scag I took in about 1962 at Minnesota Dragways. It had a nasty sound all it's own.
    Condolences to his family & close friends.
    Gordy, maybe a rememberance at the SS/FR could be done.

9. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

Bummer! Mention the word scag to anybody that was involved with cars during the 60's in Minnesota and the grille on Bob's "SCAG" is the first thing they will think of...one of the greatest car names ever.

Condolences to the family.

10. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

So sorry to hear of Bob's passing. His knowledge and willingness to help solve a problem will truely be missed. My condolences to the family.

11. Roadsir

Roadsir

My condolences to the Family.

12. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, he was a real legend around the MSRA. I crossed paths any number of times but never got to know him. Just knew his cars, and they were awesome.
    R-I-P... my condolences to Bob McGinley's family and friends.

13. oldrodslive

oldrodslive

I met Bob through a friend of mine when I fist started getting into Flatheads. Bob was quite the flathead guru. I'll never forget walking up to the garage on my first Friday night hang out. There was a model T modified in this dimly lit garage surrounded by several "older" guys. The car was running poorly and as we got closer you could hear subtle improvements in the engine's idle. Then with a couple blips of the throttle and a nice crisp response the car was turned off. The jobs was done. My brother leaned over towards me and whispers "I think we are in the right place.".

Over the next 10 or so years I became very close with Bob. At first I felt like I was the young-annoying kid that kept coming around, but Bob always made me feel welcome.

Over the course of time I developed a strong appreciation for anything drag race related from the era that he was most competitve (mid 50's - early-mid 60's). This was one of our common bonds. I would ask him questions about how they did this or that and you could almost see his head start hurting when trying to recollect the answers. He would usually end up surprising himself with a detailed answer and then say "I don't know what it is about you, but when you and I talk I somehow remeber this stuff".

I got a TON of priceless stories out of Bob over the last 10 years and invaluable information. I can honestly say that he is one of my idols and hero's. There are so many things that he taught me and I will reference for the rest of my life.

A couple of days before he passed away I was sitting with him and we were watching the NHRA races on TV. When I left I told him for the first time that I loved him. Seeing his eyes looking right back at me saying that he loved me too I kind of knew it was coming to the end. That was the first time I ever told the guy how much I appreciated him. I am going to miss him dearly!

My thoughts are with the family and with all of his friends.

-"Model A" Mike

57 300 likes this.
  14. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I've seen his 32 at BTT50's cool car well engineered. Godspeed Bob.

15. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

My coupe never ran so good as it did after Bob gave it his touch. I remember when he called me to tell me he was done he said "it runs so much better, you'll think it has two engines!" I feel lucky to have known him. My condolences to his family.

16. ToDieFor

ToDieFor
    from MN

Damn what a shame... Bob will be missed!

17. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

18. Ole don

Ole don

Bob was one of the best, RIP.

19. Got the call while at the drags at BIR.He wanted to be with his sweet heart in a big way.Bob and Jan are back together after just five months.I was over at the shop two weeks back.Folks were do'n stuff around the place so I thought mow'n the lawn would be good.So the grass gets cut in no time.Bob said I may have set a new National Record.Rest well Mr Tune Up!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  20. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Here's some pics of Bob's '38 Plymouth Coupe.

Attached Files:

21. falconfutura1964

falconfutura1964

As I sit here reading all these comments, about Dad
    in tears & very choked up !!!
    Thank you all !!!

I know My Mom ("Scag Ma") to many that knew her, and My Sister Donna,
    Picked up Dad at the big Dragstrip in the sky, there push starting the Fiat down the track in Uncle Don's 55 ford ....and dad just hit the Mag switch for another pass !!
    God Speed DAD, Mom, & Donna
    you are MISSED !!!!
    Mike McGinley

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  22. Allin south mpls, miss Bob already! I met Bob eight years ago-he dialed my pickup in, when i went to go get it, he said "when you get on it-hold on!!! It just wants to pul, & pull, & pull!! He was right, even in the winter when nothing runs right, that girl ran like a raped ape!! i bought a house down the street from "tune up" hoping to have many many years of Bobs stories-godspeed Bob

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We ran "D/Altered" at Minnesota Dragways for a couple of years in the early '60's. The picture of the "Scag" with all of the trophies around it is very fitting; I don't remember him ever losing when I was around. I also remember the first time I saw the '32 with the Ardun at the All-Ford show at the Ford plant. I asked whose it was, and someone said it was Bob's; I really should have known. RIP Bob, he was a Twim Cities legend.

24. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Here's a few pictures of the Ardun '32 at the 2007 Minneapolis Messaround. It's really a neat story how Bob acquired this car. Maybe I'll tell it another day just to keep this thread going. Of course, it did not look like this then.

If anyone has pictures of Bob's '38 (may of been a '39) Studebaker or his '35 Ford 3-window, please post them.

Thanks

Jim

Attached Files:

25. I too would like to see the 35 again.MSRA Street Rod of the year.....1977

26. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

When I was 22 years old I bought a house around a mile or two from the Mr. Tune-up shop. That was about 14 years ago. In those 14 years of living so close to that shop I bet I drove by that place literally thousands and thousands of times. I could tell it was something special. There was just that kind of 'vibe' to the place. I don't think I drove by that place once without looking over to see if there was something 'cool' in the parking lot- usually there was.

In all of those 14 years I've owned and played with many old cars. On many occasions I thought about stopping in and seeing if I could just hang around to try to soak up some of his knowledge and experience. I knew he was the 'real deal' and I would be lucky to ever learn as much as he'd probably forgotten over the years. But I never did.

In the summer I made a regular habit of driving by his shop in whatever old car I had at the time. If the doors were open I drove by really slow and looked in hoping to see something or even be seen by this mysterious old veteran inside. On Friday nights there was usually a parking lot full of old cars and folks hanging around. If I was out driving aimlessly I always made a point to drive by and maybe hit the gas a little bit as I looked over. I always wanted to stop in but I never did.

Last summer I answered a Craigslist ad to buy an old bicycle. When I went to pick it up the seller had a beautiful orange Falcon in the garage. We got to talking about old cars and it turned out Bob was his dad. I couldn't believe it. I told him how many times over the years I had wanted to stop into that shop or swing in on a Friday night. He said I should and that I would be welcomed. I always wanted to but I never did.

Now it seems like I have missed my chance. Even as recently as just over a week ago I drove by there in 'Super' to let the pipes sing as I looked over but the shop doors were closed. I guess now they are closed for good.

I read in the Linechaser not too long ago that Bob's wife had passed. I guess it is reassuring to know that they are now together again.

I know that as long as that building stands I will look over and rev the engine a little every time I drive by. I really regret that I never stopped in and met the man I've heard so many good things about over the years.

Jay

27. jjrodder

jjrodder

RIP Bob,
    Minnesota lost another great hot rodder when Bob McGinley passed away early this week. Bob was a legend in the MN hot rod and drag racing scene. I first met Bob in about 1966 at Minnesota Dragways when he was running one of the Skag cars. I had joined the Torquers Car Club and Bob noticed the plaque on my car and said he had belonged to the club in the late 50's. We hit it off good and I was always proud to call him a friend. Here is a picture of Bob and his fellow Torquer members at a meeting (Bob is second from the right in the front row). The picture is from 1958 and is pulled from an old Cars and Clubs article on the club. I missed seeing Bob at the Torquers Reunion last year as he was home with his ailing wife Jan.

My condolences go out to the McGinley family. Bob will be missed but never forgotten.

Jerry Johnson

Attached Files:

28. saw his name/no. written on the inner back door frame of my dodge van this week steve kastle had written there in sharpie 6 years ago so i wouldn't lose it ... see i have not lost it and will remind me of those 2 guys who have helped me many times .............

29. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Robert M. "Mr. Tune-Up" McGinley

[​IMG]

McGinley, Robert M. "Mr. Tune-Up" age 75, of Mpls., passed away at home on May 27, 2011 with family by his side. Founding member of the Torquers Car Club, Drag Racer "The Scag", Lifetime member of MSRA and NSRA. Home of the Ardun Deuce. He is preceded in death by his loving wife of 55 years, Janet and his daughter, Donna. He will be deeply missed by his children, Michael (Karen), Theresa, Linda, Sandra; grandchildren, Bobby (Tracy), David (Jessica), Michael (Winona), Megan; great-grandchildren, Pearlanna, Danny, Mannix, Ashlyn Rose; brother, Joseph (Bobbe) McGinley; sister, Pamela Duncan; sisters-in-law, Donna and Rose; many relatives and good friends. Visitation 2 hours before service. Memorial Service 1:00 PM Saturday, June 11 at Cremation Society of MN, 7110 France Ave. S., Edina (952-924-4100).

Lots of Nice tributes To Bob

http://www.legacy.com/guestbook/startribune/guestbook.aspx?n=robert-mcginley&pid=151410590&page=3

30. sololobo

sololobo

R.I.P. my brother, I didn't know him personally but had been aware of his great drag cars and his engine know how. His builds were always so sanitary and spot on. You will be missed, a true hot rod legend. ~sololobo~