Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Estate Find - WW2 Records

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Jun 2, 2011.

1. So a friend of mine tells me that he found an old cabinet radio for me a couple of days ago. In addition to my love for old cars, I also love old radios. This radio however came with 300 records. I didn't think too much about the records until I got home. While going through these records, I realized that they were almost all of them from 1942-45. 90% of the records have covers on them that say BUY WAR BONDS. And the really awesome thing is that most of them are in perfect shape. I did find a few that were broken or scratched, but for the most part the ones that are not damaged look like they can be played and converted to digital audio. I plan to digitize all of the records as soon as possible. Bing Crosby, Gene Autry, Bob Wills and his Texas Playboy are some of the artist found. I also found a few of Frank Sinatra with Tommy Dorsey and a couple of other big band names of whom I have never heard. Exciting.

2. ToDieFor

ToDieFor
    from MN

Sweet! Keep vinyl alive!

3. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Very cool...and I dig your avatar!

4. I have a bunch too, but most of mine are classical.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

We had an RCA console TV in the 50s. It had a 10" round picture tube, a tilt out AM-FM radio and in the top was a 78 RPM record player. Under the TV was a compartment filled with 78 records... Sons of the Pioneers, The Mills brothers and Spike Jones and his City Slickers. I loved the Mills brothers and new all the words to Paper Doll from playing it so often. I still dig the Big Band Era.

6. mj40's

mj40's

I'm scuffling through the same things. My father-in-law was a local radio/TV broadcaster for 60+ years. He had a Saturday morning kids show in the 50's that I can remember watching called the Little Rascals Club and he was the Chief Rascal. He specialized in the big band stuff. I have found records that are about 2' across. He also was a magician and had over 400 magic books dating back to 1890's.

7. mj40's

mj40's

My grandparents listened to the same stuff. Loved to go to their house and listen too. One I remember most was Mockingbird Hill. Music then could be understood and could hear the words.

8. That's awesome that some of you have found the same thing. We really need to keep these things alive and keep the big bands going. This old music has some real value to it, and it would be a tragedy if its ever wiped out. Those people had real talent, and they led our Nation through a very dark time. We need to know where we came from to know where we're going. But I don't have to tell yall that. Yall are all doing a great job of preserving our past. Thank you. Keep up the good work.

9. RQuantz

RQuantz
    from Las Vegas

+1

I'll never get rid of my dad's and granddad's records.

10. FC49

FC49

Most music from that era is available on CD, so there's no reason to digitize. If you do, see if you can get a cartridge that has the fatter needle as the thin one for 33-1/3 won't reproduce the sound as accurately as the fatty. I used a cheap USB turntable that worked fine on some of my old 78s (that weren't ever available on CD). I think it cost $35 from Buy-dot-com but should be available anywhere.

Great find! Congrats on your good fortune.

Frank C.

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I would be very interested in hearing some of that music if you convert it into MP3s. I don't really have anything from that genre/years in my collection. Keep us posted!!

12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Bob Wills is STILL the King!

13. butch27

butch27

I came onto some 100 records from 1904 to 1917 .Look like never played but a real crazy mix of music.

14. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I love Bob Wills but can't forget about Spade Cooley

15. metalman1

metalman1
    from tatum

I love the old music & machines also,I just got an old edison talking machine,& have several nice victrola's.I want a Red Foley "smoke on the water" record,if anyone has one.

16. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Cool find, just my .02 but Benny Goodman is the finest musician I ever heard. I feel very fortunate to have seen him in person on two occasions. If you have any of him or Chick Webb, Basie, Artie Shaw. You have the best of the Big Band stuff.

17. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I don't have any 78's but if anyone comes upon any Edison cylinder records for a Grammaphone, I would be interested.

18. dmikulec

dmikulec

I've got a few thousand 78s, mostly pre-war jazz and blues. The WW2 era stuff's a bit more common and frequently shows up at thrift stores (still).

Here's a favorite site that I'll share...

All the old school jazz that you can download, free. Refresh the page to get a new batch. VERY cool.

http://www.jazz-on-line.com/pageinterrogation.php

19. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

Most of the records I have don't date back that far. I do have some books as old as the 1840s(roughly) though. Sounds like a really cool find and even if the records aren't playable, the album covers might be worth displaying.

20. Deuces

Deuces

Gotta love "Swing" music!!! :)

21. Would think Frank Sinatra on 78s might have some value to them.

22. I think I did find some Benny Goodman. I'll look again to make sure...

23. moefuzz

moefuzz

The most popular artists sold the most records and as such, they can be easily found today.

In general, the earliest recordings of any popular artist (before he/she got famous) would be of the lowest production and would also be the toughest to find today.

-

I have several wind up Gramophones, a few record players (tube amp style), lots of 78's, a large selection of Tube Radios, Microphones and Telephones etc and they get used.

My favorite 78's include early Country and Western -Sons of the Pioneers, Red Foley, Jimmie and Jack and even Johnny Cash, All of which get played on a regular basis.