Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just wanted to try this for myself...VINEGAR BATH...***UPDATE May 27th***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 15, 2011.

1. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's the first time I've ever seen Larry do anything that's even remotely call work!!!! :D

2. RichG

RichG

You're not fat, that's just one of those Hanes "X-tra Beefy" t-shirts that my wife keeps buying for me...

3. patman

patman

They say the camera adds 10lbs. The real question is just how many cameras were there at the time...

Amazing results on the wheels, gonna have to try that myself.

4. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

this is a step up from watching paint dry. so Im interested. I use vinager and run it through the coffee machine to clean it out so a different angle might be to boil the parts in vinager anyone know if this could work??? Ray

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

HOLY SHIT!! Look at this pic of the wire wheel setting on the frame...that was the wheel I just rinsed off 30 minutes before...it's already flashed-rusted!...back in the soup...

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. what's that smell ?

7. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

You gotta put some metal conditioner on it right away to neutralize the rust. The water you are using to rinse it off is what is causing the flash rust (humidity does it too). Metal conditioner will stop that.

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/visitor/common/pdfs/b/product/dr/ChromaSystem/H-19298_5717S.pdf

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

9. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I'd guess 4 cameras !!!!!!!!

10. WM3

WM3

Some have talked about rubbing oil into the metal to prevent rust. What type of oil is used? I've heard everything from motor oil to linseed oil to WD40.

11. Larry- it's bare, raw steel. You hosed it off...what did you think would happen :D

12. Instead of rubbing oil on your newly cleaned parts, go to the hardware store and pick up some phosphoric acid (usually sold as concrete cleaner or rusty metal cleaner), mix a little with water in a spray bottle and spray it on after you rinse your parts (maybe a 50/50 mix?). When it dries it will leave a white powdery coating. This will keep them from rusting (as long as you keep them in a dry place) and even etches them a bit. When you are ready to paint, just scuff with a 3M pad and shoot.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  13. one thing to remember when your rinsing off the molasses do it away from the house or you will end up with a huge ant problem, no worrries with vinegar.

14. muddman355

muddman355
    from sydney

try mollasses. not sure if its widely available in the states. but back here in Oz its easy to get, its made from cane sugar, takes rusty metal back to bare easy with no damage and easy to hose off, not killing the grass. my old man uses it all the time. m my ol pop used to put it in his coffee.

15. shadams

shadams

So after reading this thread, I filled up a plastic tub with white distilled vinegar, dumped in a ton of rusted nuts and bolts, some door/window hardware, and both of my exhaust manifolds. After a couple days I pulled them out and washed them down (the manifolds) and they look tits!
    My question is when I dumped out the vinegar that was inside the manifolds all sorts of shavings came out, looked like aluminum, literally looked like some shavings from a lathe. When I dumped out all the nuts and bolts (which cleaned up great) there were these same shavings all throughout. Any ideas?

I hit the manifolds with a torch to thoroughly dry them, them coated them with high heat primer, and the next day high heat aluminum colored paint. Thy look brand new. I just hope those shavings arent something that was supposed to stay inside the manifolds.....

16. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

I've tried this on bicycle parts, mostly chrome pieces, and have had excellent results! Really saves time scrubbing parts with 0000 steel wool.
    I does leave a greenish-yellow color that'll need to be scrubbed off though.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  17. gas pumper

gas pumper

I just tried this with pieces of bar stock that I need for a project and I didn't want to grind off the rust. All I had for vinegar was pickle brine. So I put the stock, 3 pieces of 3/4X1-1/2X5, in the pickle jar and after a day it loosened up a lot.

Then I thought heat should speed this up. Put the jar in a pot full of water on the stove and let it simmer for 3-4 hours. I could see the fluid circulating, instead of just sitting there. Let cool til the next day and cleaned the blanks with a brass brush. Then flushed with water and dried with paper towels. Coated with motor oil. Perfect, lightly pitted, no rust.

Frank

18. Made a believer of me. Tried on these door latches. Four days in the vinegar.

Attached Files:

19. MikesIron

MikesIron
    from Union, OR

As for boiling parts in vinegar -- yes, that works really well. When I was a kid we did just that with all the door hinges in the house that my folks had just bought, which was 100 yrs old then. All the brass hinges has been painted, most of 'em several times, but this 'hot bath' removed layers of oil-based paint in just a few minutes. It was a diluted solution of white vinegar -- I think 50-50.

Just remember to turn the exhaust fan on!!!
    Mike

20. TinShed

TinShed

Does having someone sand blast it cost that much down there?

21. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

How about filling a seized engine with vinegar? I've got a Super Red Ram sittin in the corner.

22. MikesIron

MikesIron
    from Union, OR

I'd use kerosene for that -- works much better. A very low viscosity lubricant, and will penetrate through your seized contact points. You could leave that sit for as long as you want, nad it won't hurt anything. If you used vinegar, and it doesn't do the trick, it's gonna start into surfaces that you don't want mucked up...

23. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

holy shit! thanks for bringing this back up because I just remembered I put a model A jack in the soup 3 months ago and forgot about it!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. haha, well hopefully it's still there! Let us know the results.

25. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

2 days takes off heavy rust, just rinse off. Dont use with hardened materials like spring steel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  26. atch

atch

well?????????????????????

27. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Does oil affect the vinegar working? I have a Flatthead that was pulled from a drum used oil. I wanted to pour vinegar right into the cyl.

28. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

is it still a jack?

29. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

It might make a good salad

30. nali

nali

Mix oil and vinegar for salad , and let it one night on the kitchen table .
    The next morning , the vinegar is on the bottom and the oil is on top. They don t mix .
    So I suppose oil on a part will avoid vinegar to attack rust.
    Even more , grease may be a good way to protect a aluminium part soaked in vinegar :)
    But I wouldn t take the chance with a rare vintage part ..