Register now to get rid of these ads!

Simple yet Difficult Question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Jokester

Jokester

I have a relatively high iron content in my blood (true). So I think I'm an organic magnet, physically and mentally drawn towards rust. I can't help it.

Also, it's not all about the cars.

.bjb

2. jdanielshea

jdanielshea
    from Denton, TX

Our cars, both new and old, represent freedom. Old cars in particular do far more that that. They represent our individuality, creativeness, ingenuity and passion just to name a few. In many cases they are a link to our past. They represent a time that we hold dear, a time of so very many "firsts" that happened in our lives: first car, first date, first road trip on our own, first major purchase, first bank loan, first race, FIRST WRECK.
    It is these things that have inbedded the car into our psyche. And as newer cars continue to become more "generic", the old cars will continue to appraise in value, both in dollars and in our mind's eye.

3. keithreid

keithreid

It's not just cars. I collect lots of old stuff, and other than cars, it's mostly rifles. I have bolt action rifles that date to the 1880's that I still shoot with no problems, just wish the cars would go back that far!
    Cars came naturally, My dad's first dirt track racer was powered by a flathead. He was driving a 39 chevy coupe with a 283 engine that he'd had bored and built into a 302 (well, he called it a 301 1/2) when he married my mom. He stripped that car with naval jelly in his backyard and painted it there, then built the engine out of a bare block he found to get it on the road. Learned my numbers passing him wrenches, too.

A lot of my family think I'm crazy because I'm collecting parts (and getting the engine work done) to build a 41 international k-2 with a flathead cadillac. When they ask me why the only thing I can tell them is that it'll be the only truck in town like it.

They tell me I never did stand in the middle of the crowd, anyhow.

y'all have a good one, Keith

4. Old cars, like boobs, are just an appreciation for art and form. Some folks are more adamant and truly "get it" in appreciating the two as art or a fascination for something they understand. When I view either one, I am like a deer in the headlights and stop in my tracks when I see what I like. I truly like rolling art and see more than just a car. Others posted as well that being able to work on cars, mastering a skill, also makes it easy to like what you understand. My dad told me a long time ago that people do not like what they do not understand. I have found this true. The way some will say they don't like a certain carburetor or (insert whatever else you want )relates that they don't know how to work on it or cannot master it. So, there is a comfort in old cars to us that can be intimate with our cars and know how to work on our rides.