Register now to get rid of these ads!

shock geometry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 3100, May 30, 2011.

1. 57 3100

57 3100

guys,
    on my chevy 1957 3100 truck, i am currently running my exhaust with dumps just before the rear axle, but soon want to get a new full system that will go up over the rear axle and dump after the rear tire.

because my truck is so low, my shocks are in the way. i will need to move the shocks from their factory top mounting points, and need to run them straight up and down. i had a few race cars back in the day with the shocks mounted like this, but am curious how it will handle on the streets ? i dont do any high speed cornering or anything like that, but what are your thoughts on me making that change to the shock mounting ?

thanks guys.

leonard

2. harley man

harley man

Straight up and down is best.

3. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

The only difference that the angle makes is on roll resistance during cornering... you'll be fine.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Shock absorber efficiency is directly related to shock angle, the further out they mount and closer to the wheel, the more effective they are. Canted shocks provide lateral stability. IT's all a bit of a compromise.

Ideally a shock will be at 1/3 downwards travel at rest. Perpendicular is 100% efficient (Stiff), mount them at 45 degrees and they are only 50% efficient (Soft).

Staggering shocks, fore and aft controls differential wrap and axle hop under acceleration and braking, one shock is compressing whilst the other is extending. 30 degrees is the practical maximum (Canted) angle.

Attached Files:

5. 57 3100

57 3100

thanks for the info guys.... i am gonna fab up some new upper mounts, and get them straight up and down, and see what happens....

leonard

6. dan sutton

dan sutton

I just changed my rear mounting on my '48 from vertical to angled (I had to remove to tailpipe to get them angled) and saw no difference in the ride and cornering, so I re-installed them vertical and re-installed the exhaust. Seems to be fine like that.

7. 57 3100

57 3100

thanks man.... yea, i have since installed my fabbed up brackets and are running my rear shocks vertical. i gained the needed room to run my tail pipes up and over the rear axle.
    here is a pic of my new shock setup, but i took the cheap gabriel shocks out and installed nitrogen gas shocks, since i only have 1" of travel before hitting the frame.
    i dont have any pics of the new exhaust system yet.. thanks again.

leonard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dan sutton

dan sutton

That's a similar set-up to mine