Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wyotech school

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mattyflathead, May 24, 2011.

1. JJK

JJK

I dont think a four year degree guarantes any,job theres plenty of college grads here in Austin waiting tables and folding cloths that can attest to that. I do think having skills seperates you from the conventional applicant but banking on a tech degree is just as touch and go as a traditional four year, it has no certainty in todays econmony. The weldiers I've met here make good money in the oil feild but dont live by tradtional standards like having a family , healthcare , or normal hours like you said. It's a good school but fully operational business savoy welders are not coming out of it.

2. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I didn't read ALL of the post's so I may be repeating what someone has already said...BUT!
    Recently there have been 2 and I think maybe a third shop on here "looking" for a young enthusiastic person who WANTS to learn the trade and start at the bottom and work thier way up. I think your kid would be better off checking into a place like that, plus I know one was in AZ. so year round hot rod weather and I am sure lots of learning and teaching to be gained. If I didn't have a family and wanted to get my foot in the door, THAT is where I would be looking!! Wish I had of done that when I was in my 20's, being in my 40's it's kinda hard to do that. Especially when THEY are on here LOOKING!!!
    Just my thought?!?!?!?

3. wedgehead63

wedgehead63
    from Auburn KY

Hope I'm not repeating! I am a Welding Instructor at the high school level here in KY. I know there is an excellent Collision Repair program at our local technical college. Last time I checked, it was about $2,500.00 a semester. The instructor is also a custom painter, so he also adds in a little old school for free! Good opportunities around here, since no body men ever stay put for long. Maybe something similar around there? I learned paint and body the hard way. I worked for five years for a hard core German rod and custom builder. He gave new meaning to "his way or the highway". He was a wealth of knowledge.

4. blacktopbutcher went to Wyotech and ended up at gambino Kustoms for a few years too!

5. I went to Wyotech in 2005-Sacramento. First of all, Wyotech is an amazing school if you go in with an open mind, work as hard and as fast as you possibly can and make contacts with anyone and everyone you think can advance your career. Most students, about 95% of them assume that if they graduate from the school, they will immediately be at Brizio level, if ya know what I mean. It is obvious that this school gives you a great groundwork but the rest has to come from your own determination. I graduated top of the class and honestly there were about five guys in the class that I would even consider staying in contact with. It is a base knowledge, a school that gives you enough confidence to get your foot in the door at a hot rod shop or dealership or whatever you are looking to do, but there is tons more to learn once you are in the shop. I walked into a pre-1948 shop and had to learn everything. Wyotech doesn't have enough time to teach you every aspect of every type of vehicle, but it gives you enough so you can apply certain skills to certain situations and work your way correctly out of them, with some other guidance. Personally, I do not know if it is worth 30,000 dollars unless you are truly trying to go as hard as you can at this career. If you look at guys like Bryan Fuller and my personal friend Jeb Scolman of Jeb's Metal and Speed it is apparent that highly skilled craftsmen make their way out of the school, but it is mostly about personal pride and determination. If you want to do it, Wyotech is a great stepping stone, if you don't, it is a large sum of money to see if you really like something. I have no regrets with the school. It really has helped me in my career the last five years but I have recently had a change of heart on the whole industry and am pursuing new things in my life. Either way, Wyotech helped me get to where I wanted to be, but I didnt just show up and expect the book and the certificate to get you anywhere. Good luck.

6. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Another route could be the military, If he decided to serve, the new G.I. Bill will pay the cost of a trade school and pay him to attend it at an E5 BHA. something to think about, I wouldn't fork over the 30k.

7. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

My vote is for a CC. My 25 year old best friend is the best mechanic in town and is doing very well about to buy his first house. The local community college taught him everything he knows about working on complex newer cars and 3 years at the stealership... Now he works for the best indy shop in town and will probably open his own with in 5 years. It's really all about the kid and what kind of drive they have... I know kids that went through the same program he did and they are tire jockeys at big boxes making 8 bucks an hour.. being a mechanic is very hard work and your love for the auto will quickly get burned out if you're not careful..

8. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I have been a body tech for 35 years,worked in all kinds of shops.Dealerships and mostly independent shops in 3 different states. I build custom cars and hot rods for a hobby but my main income ( $ not much ) is body work in a commercial body shop.I think education is priceless,don't get me wrong but $ 29, K is a lot of hard earned money to put out for hopes of a job that just to get started he will need another $ 10, k or more just for tools to start . I am serious these tools are expensive. With the economy like it is good jobs are hard to find. In the real world ,The insurance companies screw over the shops big time making it hard for the techs to make decent money. benefits, huh there aren't any,you get sick or injured they drop you like a hot brick. I honestly wouldn't advise anyone to try start a carrier in body business.I turned my own two sons away from it.It is a lousing proposition.

9. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

Grammar, spelling and punctuation are all important, especially in written language. I find that most people, regardless of level of education often make simple mistakes and even occasionally misspell words on purpose to make a point, or to be more "conversational".

Just because someone makes a mistake, or doesn't know all the details about certain subjects does NOT make them ignorant in general.

Please show some tact. Your lack of it makes you seem petty.;)

10. brandonwillis

brandonwillis
    from Tucson AZ

I had applied to go to wyotech, my mom thought it was stupid so she had a friend of hers who's a reporter look up a bunch of specs and info on it. Needless to say I ended up not going. They try to sell the kids on all this job placement and high wages. In reality its not true.

Sure you might be able to make good money as a mechanic somewhere, but I have a few friends who work at a local dealer ship a painter, heavy line, and diagnostics, the only one who makes over 35k a year is the heavy line guy.

I went to welding school at the local JC, it worked out great for me, I haven't made less than 13 bucks an hour since I was 18, currently at 17 an hour. Still not the greatest money on the planet, but I'm back in school for mechanical engineering, and I'm able to pay for it and everything else I need by myself. And it only cost me about $4-5k for to get through the welding trade school.

I think Wyotech is crap, it's a diploma factory.

I'm only 22, and I own my own home, have a good job I like going to, I can afford to put myself through more schooling, and I'm not 30k in debt to a diploma factory.
    just my .02

11. I've been a Chassis Fab instructor at the Blairsville Wyotech for about 5 years now. I've seen all kinds of students come through, and most had serious questions about the total investment being worth it. It all depends on the individual.

I only worry about my own class anymore. The first day of class, I explain that I don't care what their past experience at Wyotech has been, and I GUARANTEE the students that if they listen and try hard, they will not feel like Chassis Fab was a waste of money. On the last day of class, I ask if anyone felt like they had wasted their money in the class, and in almost 4 years, I've never had a student say they did. I can't speak for any other instructors or classes. Bash away, I sleep fine at night.

12. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

Now theres some fucken inspiration! Rock on man, props to you. I'm a welder myself but I made the choice of going to tech instead of college. I cant say it was a mistake but man do I wish I had that degree now... Not just a fancy diploma to put on a wall. Well thats the only thing either one of em is good for is the wall, but the value they hold speaks for itself in some companies. I gotta say, I'm your age as well and no where NEAR owning a house. Now thats not just cuz of my debt from WyoTech, I have made the choice to move to Europe, and now all over Europe, and well... lets just say it has set me back a few years. But whatever thats way off topic....

The school is good for some and not for others. It's unnecessarily expensive. You get what you put in, make the best of it. There, quick summary.

I gotta buy you a beer some day man. Your story is just way cool. Pipe dream for many...

13. I didn't read through all six pages, so I'm sure all this has been said by other people, but here's my experience:
    I graduated Wyotech in Pennsylvania in September 2009, over 30,000 dollars in debt. It hadn't taken me long at the school to realize that more of my tuition money was spent on the Corporation's marketing than on my education. I started at two different shops in the next nine months, but was told very quickly at both places that my skill level didn't meet their needs and that they would never hire another Wyotech graduate. In June 2010, I started a paid apprenticeship at a small restoration/custom shop where the owner had over 25 years of experience and was willing to pass it on. Almost a year later, I've learned more than I ever did at school, and while I still don't make enough in a month to meet even the minimum school loan payment, I find the experience and reputation I am earning invaluable!:)

Bottom line, don't bother with Wyotech or the like.

14. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

harvard tuition rates with hamburger u results lol

15. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dispute none of your opinions. Points taken.
    Fair winds and following seas, Ron

16. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

I am an auto tech instructor at a high school. I have been teaching for 23 years. In those years several of my students have gone to a number of these type of schools. The ones that fared best were the ones who went to WTI. For example, one is a shop supervisor at a BMW dealership. One is working at a streetrod shop, the owner of the shop told me he only hires from WTI. I feel that these kids were going to succeed any where they went to school...but I also think that they did get a leg up from WTI.
    To be honest I try to steer most of my students to a junior college based school...some of those are crappy and some are good.( I try to steer kids away from the ones that I feel are no good.) But it is cheaper than the for profit schools. The young men and women who were motivated enough to move to Wyoming were likely to succeed. I will not recommend UTI at all. But WTI seems to be a better program..but not for everyone. If you are a motivated student you will do ok. If you are a loser who has parents who are just trying to buy success...forget it.

17. derbydad276

derbydad276

18. rotenjon

rotenjon

My son attended UTI and was asked by Audi to attend their school in chicago. He returned home to a job at the local Audi dealership, has been there for five years and is one of their top techs. But while he was at UTI he put all of his effort into and has since reapped the rewards. just my two cents.