Register now to get rid of these ads!

roadster wreck on 101

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VNTGE41, May 27, 2011.

1. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I woke up at 4am this morning and this was the first thing I thought of.
    After finding out yesterday morning its been hard to forget.

Having a 29 RPU myself,
    and letting friends and family (brother) drive it hundreds of miles,
    its just one of my worst fears.
    Living only in SD and Ventura and knowing that freeway all too well,
    -driving through countless times in my RPU
    and rushing through in a large heavy van for 15 years,
    makes it more real, sadly enough.

So I went to the garage to look at our RPU,
    and imagined hitting that steering wheel,
    and thought the same thing as Willowbilly stated.

Eric Doran will forever be a tragic hot rod legend.
    More power to his family and friends to get through this tough time.

TP

2. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Eric, may you relish in the eternal hot rod wonderland of the angels. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends. I lost my best friend in January to a heart attack at our shop on a night that I felt sick and stayed home, leaving him at the shop alone. Skip, you shouldnt distance yourself from such a wonderful support group like the hamb. So many great people on here. From recent experience skip, the pain and feeling of loss will not get easier or go away. But you will become stronger and more acceptive with each day that goes by. Not a day goes by that I expect my friend Jeff to call, or think I see or hear him. It helps me to think that my best friend Jeff is watching down on me from above, and that it was his time to go and that I am happy to have had him in my life as well as comforted in the thought that I have such a strong link to the big man upstairs watching my back. skip, eric's wife, eric's sister,eric's family, acme, eric's friends, he is watchong over you now and remember he may not be able to verbally answer but if you ever need him or need to talk to him, just talk to him in the same way you speak to god, jesus, or whom ever you speak to, and eric will do his best to answer you in one way or another. Rest in peace eric, and enjoy the hot rod scene in the clouds above. May all of you hambers be blessed and remember that life is only temporary, heaven is forever. We all cross our finishline at some point. Take care.

Thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    Aka "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

3. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

4. big creep

big creep

5. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Very nice article to memorialize him. When I cross my finish line, I hope to have as much of a memorial as he has. Eric, id like to meet you when my time comes to cross that finishline. Untill then brother, godspeed.

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

6. dj_rockinvic

dj_rockinvic

Very true about southern California Drivers. My Condolences to Eric Dolan's family and friends.

7. xadamx

xadamx

This is tragic, especially for anyone that had the pleasure of knowing him. I've known Eric for 15 years, since he was in culinary school at the CIA in NY. I met him when he wandered in to the first tattoo shop that I had just started working in, and I did some of my first tattoos on him. He had a love for vintage things, and "got" the style and design of how things should be. We became best buds and had a lot of great times.

One day, he swung by the shop with a 1946 Plymouth business coupe...I'm pretty sure it was his first hot rod. The car was beautiful, with dark wine paint, white walls, and a tan mohair interior. It was all stock and he was talking about all the things he wanted to do to it...I thought he was crazy to want to change such a perfect car! We took it for a ride and stopped by a book store so he could show me photos of the changes he wanted to make. That one ride with Eric, and his passion for hot rods and customs got me hooked...and several cars, trucks, and bikes later, I'm still in love.

I was starting to get restless and talking about a change, I had been in NY my whole life and the artistic environment at the shop was stagnant. Eric had always talked about his home and how amazing California was, and that the hot rod scene just couldn't be beat. He told me I could stay with his family in Huntington Beach as long as I needed to. The plan was too enticing, so I gave in. I hopped on a Greyhound...from NY to LA, which I wouldn't recommend:) Eric followed shortly after, and the friendship continued. I met Skip Pipes through Eric, 12 or 13 years ago...we started building my first hot rod, a roadster pickup. Unfortunately, life and funds would not allow it's completion. Skip's roadster pickup was the inspiration for my first hot rod...his truck was so cool, the first true hot rod I'd ever ridden in. I'm still in California and have since lived a life that I never would have imagined living. I've lived my dream, and the catalyst was Eric's passion and friendship and his family's generosity and hospitality.

Time moves on, and paths go in different directions...as did mine and Eric's. After I moved north from Orange County, life quickly got busy and we slowly lost touch...but I never forgot how he helped change my life and how his generosity helped to mold me into the person I am today. I guess, there are just some people that you know, or assume, that you're going to see again...catch up and it would be like you never were away, just like old times. I wish I would've done that with Eric.

Emily, if you see this, my condolences to you and your family. Please give them my regards and let them know I'm thinking about them. Skip, it's been years...I'm sorry for your loss and can relate, hang in there.

8. boxstr

boxstr

I find myself driving for the cars around me. Always trying to keep an eye on the cars in front on the side and behind me.
    My thoughts go out to the family and may a fellow hot rodder RIP.
    Extremely sad to lose someone so talented and so well liked.
    Craig

9. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

10. Our condolences to the Doran family and friends.

Ryan family

11. Kerry67

Kerry67

Damn....total shame, seems like a great guy. My best thoughts to family and friends. At least the last thing he did was drive his hot rod, something that he loved. RIP bro....See ya at the big swap meet or car show on the other side.

12. dmikulec

dmikulec

I didn't know Eric but this senseless tragedy has been gnawing away at me all weekend. My sincere heartfelt condolences to his family and his many friends.

I commute 200 miles a day to my job and back and know all too well the utter fucking insanity that has infected some drivers. They behave as though the world doesn't exist beyond their windshield. My route is 4 lane, rural and desolate by California standards, yet a day doesn't go by when some a-hole doesn't come from out of nowhere, rides my ass for a few miles before violently swerving out into the other lane to pass me (then cutting me off after he's passed for good measure)... and I'm no slouch, I don't drive like some old man in a hat.

Stay safe out there friends. :cool:

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  13. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

So sorry man. :(

14. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

I never knew Eric Doran but have heard about him and his amazing restaurant countless times since moving to Costa Mesa a few months ago. I live about two blocks from his restaurant and just walked over there and could not believe the amount of people celebrating Eric's life and the amazing man he was. My heart goes out to Eric's family and friends and could not imagine being in their shoes. God has a plan... he always does.

15. FTW666

FTW666

so very sorry for such a tragedy. my thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of all that knew what sounds like a wonderful human being.

i make my living repairing and test riding harleys everyday. ive been hit from behind several times and have near misses on EVERY ride. as hard as i try to ride cautiously, theres just no guarantees.
    this forum is a true testament to the love and support from one hot rodder to another. not many hobbies share such a strong brotherhood.

16. BigBossMan

BigBossMan

Very sad news indeed. I am touched by the genuine heartfelt sadness and kind words expressed by you all to Eric Doran's family and friends. My thoughts are with them too at this sad time.

He certainly must have been a great guy to know.

Condolences to all involved.

17. Donnda

Donnda

I have been out of town for the last few days and checked in on the HAMB first thing and this hits me in the face.
    My deep condolances to the family and friends of Eric Doran. I feel as I have lost a friend I haven't met yet.
    Prayers for all affected comming from Montana.

18. You're a good man Bob.....RIP Eric....prayers to the family...

19. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Such a tragedy. Our prayers for his friends and family.

20. roxndoxn

roxndoxn

This is Bigdaddy signing in on my buddy Wiggins account again.

I just got back from Santa Maria in my 50. It was a tough drive through Thousand Oaks.

Thank you Bob for the Kinds words man. I truly do appreciate it. I still am sick to my stomach about what happened.

I have talked to Eric's mom a few times this weekend and I will let you know or Emily will let you know when the Funeral is. At this time we need Kat to recover. All are going to be welcome with their cars as or right know (From his mom)

I also talked with Eryk Farias from the Los Boulevardos and we are thinking about doing a cruise to the restaurant in the near future.

I truly do believe God has a plan and although hard and many questions will be had this is all part of it.

Eric, I will never forget what a kind hearted, easy going, God Fearing man you were. you had no enemies and I could always count on your for a smile. You will be missed...

Godspeed!

Attached Files:

21. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Never met Eric or knew of him,but I can say this,it's hard to lose a good friend and especially one who is so enthusiastic about cars or any other subject.I lost my good friend a few years ago and to this day it still hurts.

Look at it this way.he is in a better place and right now,probably hanging with all the car guys and legends we have lost over the years.He is talking to them guys about his car and what his future plans are and what shows he would like to go to.Might even be asking them guys questions.I wouldn't doubt it.I know it must have been difficult to enjoy yourselves this weekend,but you know what,I know Eric would have wanted you guys to have fun and a drink on him.He may not be here in body,but he will always live on in your hearts!

Our condolences to his wife and his family From the entire KKOA family

22. Emily,
    prayers and condolences to your Family , Kat and all Erics many friends .

Rod .

23. fourbbl

fourbbl

So sorry to hear. I wish for a speedy recovery to Kat, and for the friends and family too be able to find some closure.

24. Very unfortunate. I hate reading threads like this one.

25. gsport

gsport

no matter how you look at it... stuff like this just plain sucks

26. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

my prayers go out to the family. horrible tragedy

27. Taylorengines

Taylorengines
    from Brea, Ca.

Wow ! so much has been said ! i heard about this prior to geting on my Dyna to ride to Santa Maria for this show.. So sad i send my best regards to all friends and family, John is a friend of mine spoke with him at the show i did'nt now it was his friend not a word was mentioned by either of us! Wow shocking... Hope everyone returned safe.

Prayers to all

28. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Just goes to show that we have no idea what tomorrow holds... Live each day like it's your last.

29. skoh73

skoh73

30. urbanriot

urbanriot

Very sad news, my thoughts are with all family & friends.

Bob -- Uk