Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Indy is coming!!!!!:D

Attached Files:

2. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

May 20th 2011 visit to EMMR @ Latimore Valley. enjoy! :D

Attached Files:

3. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Nice Lee! I'm hoping to stop by EMMR Saturday before the ARDC/USAC show at Port.

4. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Bettenhausen

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  5. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

If your in the pits at the Port look me up. I'll be at the Port, Lincoln , and New Egypt for the USAC deal. Can't wait. :D

6. TommyA19

TommyA19

Question for those that followed the ARDC back in the late 40's:

While talking with my brother the other day, he asked me if there were any drivers still around that ran with the ARDC back in the late 40's. I can think of only one - Bill Claren. Are there any others?
    Thanks for any responses!

7. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

hell tommy, you'd have to be 70 to know anything about this, and the drivers would likely be 90.

Only possibility might be Buster Warke!

8. Buildy

Buildy

Jim,

Buster passed away fairly recently.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  9. TommyA19

TommyA19

I'll be 74 in September, so I do remember some events from back then. Saw Bill Claren at Hinchliffe last Labor Day Sunday and he looked great.

10. tex44

tex44

Hey Guys,

Anybody thats gonna be close is welcome to come to Heart of Texas Speedway in Waco,Texas this Sunday the 29th. The track is having their Hall of Fame event and Vintage Texas Open Wheel will be there with about 20 cars. Hall of Fame Ceremony is at 2:00pm with the SST Sprintcars running that night.

[​IMG]

Bill Jones will be there with the Checkerboard Offy

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  11. TommyA19

TommyA19

Found this about Buster:

R.I.P. Buster Warke
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title -->
    <!-- message -->I just read this on the Williams Grove Speedway message board.
    Buster was a great guy who will be greatly missed.

"Granville W. Warke

Granville W. Buster Warke, Walnutport native, nationally known race car driver, restorer and Offenhauser engine builder, of Center Valley, passed away peacefully in his sleep on February 20, 2008, at the age of 93. In 1934, Buster met Walt Killinger and made his debut as his driver in 1935 at Charlestown, W.Va., and he also ran midgets for Major Hawley at the Nutley, N.J., Velodrome. Buster served as a rifleman with the unit known as The Big Red One during World War II in the European and African campaigns. After World War II, he drove Jimmy Wilburns sprint car with the International Motor Contest Association throughout the Midwest during the 1946 season. Buster was a steady AAA sprint car performer with the ODay Offy and Dutch Culp Offy before retiring from driving in 1956. In 1957, he was the chief mechanic for the Ed Stone sprinter in which Bill Randall won the USAC Eastern Sprint Car Championship. Buster served as chief mechanic for several Indianapolis teams in the 1950s and 1960s, and in 1958 went to Monza, Italy, with the Amos-Sclavi team. In May of 2005, he was the Grand Marshall of the vintage race car celebration at New Hampshire Motor Speedway and on June 3, 2006, he was inducted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame. He was an avid hunter, fisherman and member of Saucon Masonic Lodge 469, and one of the premier restorers of Offenhauser engines and vintage race cars. He was predeceased by his wife, Ruby, in 2003. Services: A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday, February 26, and friends may call from noon till the time of services Tueday, at Weber Funeral Home P.C., 1619 Hamilton St., Allentown. <!-- m -->http://www.weberfuneralhomes.com<!-- m -->. Contributions: In lieu of flowers, to the Eastern Auto Racing Historical Society, P.O. Box 333, Orefield, PA or the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing, P.O. Box 688, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055.
    Published in the Morning Call on 2/23/2008. "

Not sure if this link will work as a direct link, or not:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245533
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

12. doctordarryl

doctordarryl
    from NJ

Here's my latest model build. The Charlie Sacks offy midget driven by Eddie Sachs (both were from Allentown, PA). As a matter of fack, Sacks Automotive is still in operation in Allentown, PA. I was from that area so have an interest in building this particular model since I remember seeing it driven at local tracks.

These are new decals available from Scale Auto Details along with the following: Caruso Offy, Tuffy's Offy, Bowes Seal Fast Special Jr. Offy, and Hollywood Spring Axel Special Offy. You can see all the decals and resin parts from Scale Auto Details at the following Fotki site:

http://public.fotki.com/doctordarryl/scaleautodetails/

Attached Files:

13. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Curtis shop

Attached Files:

14. KKx125

KKx125

Hi ,moe, Kurtis with a K, When are you showing #69, Enjoy,Gordon.

15. Buildy

Buildy

To add to the confusion,there was an East coast owner/Mechanic/Builder named Frank Curtis. He owned a few Kurtis cars.
    Quite a few great ones drove for him.

16. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

This is one that I just started to fit things for a restoration.. Originally a v8-60 serial # F-261-48..In about 1962 a 215 aluminum Buick was installed and maybe raced for a couple years.. Any history is appreciated........... Thanks..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  17. Spike Gillespie

Spike Gillespie

It looks like Virgil Welch's Old Car with a Buick in it.

18. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

It has a (W) on front nerf bar..Do you have any other information ,Dates or other drivers????

19. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Guys. Just got back from GA. WOW what A drive! Crazy me drove there and back. Left yesterday at 8:00pm. And got back 12:30am. I know the badger, I need my pumps still!!!!
    The guy who has them still hasn’t got to them. I also have been busy. I can barely move in my garage. I have A engine in the back of my jeep. I don’t know where I am going to put it. I need to get into over drive bad!!! This season is getting crazy………:confused:

Attached Files:

20. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

I need pumps (EVM) done for my Chevy II, any ideas who to send them to? Maybe your guy is not where I want to go!

Blacki-Suede

21. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Blacki. Ya not if you need them anytime soon.Ha Ha I must say the guy is giving me A break on the $. Just didn&#8217;t think it would take this long. I don&#8217;t know who to go to? I think it is up to the person, wants to help you because he is into this stuff or they want lots of $$$$$$$$$$. Wish I had the equipment to do it my self. Ho well it is what it is.

22. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Bob Wright used to own it. He was very active with EMMR before he passed away

23. Frye jr

Frye jr

Bud Hoppe drove Mr Welch's car around the the St Louis area in the late 60's.

24. Frye jr

Frye jr

It also looks like the car

25. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

EVM used a procon pump out of a soda machine , dont jerk around an call Hiborn they can help you out .:rolleyes:

26. Spike Gillespie

Spike Gillespie

Now the story of the 11 car is coming back to me. Vrgil Welch used to bring that car down to Daytona to the Memorial Stadium where we used to race in February during Speed Week. Rich Lavelle was his driver. They did fairly well down there. One night ( I hope I remember this deal right ) Lavelle and Larry Mcoy Jr. got to playing a little grab ass out on the track. After the race, Larry's dad, McCoy Sr. was really pisssed off and he ended up belting Virgil Welch over the head with an offy fuel pump. I think the cops even showed up. Ah, they were the days !

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  27. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

FYI. I called Hilborn a few weeks ago and they have a new policy on rebuilding things. They are only allowed to work on Hilborn brand pumps and injectors. I was going to send them my EVM fuel pump and injectors but they cannot do that type of work any more.

28. Surfref32

Surfref32

Here's a neat old Illustrated Speedway News article on Joe Csiki that my granddad saved. I think today was the first time I've read it. It was too big and too brittle to scan so I took a digital picture instead.

Attached Files:

29. TommyA19

TommyA19

The article, above, was penned by the late Len Calinoff. It's all his fault, along with the late John LeVan, that I got into writing about racing. I miss both of them a ton!

30. sideways27

sideways27

Not sure if you guys are aware of this but I thought I would post.
    There is going to be a big party for Ed Iskenderian's 90th birthday. It is going to be held on Saturday 7-23-2011 at LTR Racing Engines which is located at 29330 HWY 178 in Onyx, Ca. 93255. (760) 378 1982. Food is free and there is overnight camping just call ahead for a spot. There will be many race car drivers, anouncers, builders and owners, etc. I have seen the list of some of the people and it is going to be very big. There will be many cars from dragsters, drag racing cars to dirt cars and many show cars. There will also be fire in the night where they will start up the race cars (Krackle Fest). You all are invited. I am sure you will also be treated to Ed's famous stories which are fun and goes on forever. Hope some of you can make it, I think you will be treated to a great time.:):)
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Sideways, Hammer Down and HOLD ON.
    :)
    <!-- / sig -->