Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eagle Field Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stormy byrd, May 27, 2011.

1. stormy byrd

stormy byrd

This was posted on the HAMB Dragster portion of the Hamb , I have been asked to re-post it. Stormy Byrd
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post6580092 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_6580092 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid">Re: HAMB Dragsters return to Eagle Field May 21st
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->First and foremost I would like to thank Rocky Phillips for all of his hard work putting an event on like Eagle Field for us to participate at. Most people don’t realize just how much work go’s onto putting this event together. Lee Phillips, RJ, all of the great volunteers that help keep it all going and Joe Davis who owns Eagle Field. Joe takes a big chance putting on event like this with the liability , being the race is held on his property as we know everyone is sue happy these days, so Thank you Joe Davis for having faith in us and we in turn can help you restore Eagle Field to it’s proper place in history.
    That being said leads me to this discussion on Eagle Field.
    The following is
    MY OPPINION & MINE ALONE:
    The Eagle Field race was put on to RELIVE old time Drag Racing…Period
    The original race was run on the old runway paved decades ago. I have been there since the start & raced on the old surface. In fact I raced Randy Winkle on the original 30’ wide runway each in our own 15’ lanes. Blown modified Roadster & Coupe going 130-140 out the back door. We now have a 60’ wide surface and some people are having trouble ???
    I looked Saturday at the surface and they had sprayed VHT from 20’ out and down the track. Personally I was disappointed as we come just to smoke the tires, so I just put the car to the outside of the lane and smoked em. At the drivers meeting there were some who asked if Rocky would spray the first 20 feet of the track. Rocky asked me what I thought , and here is what I told him.

“ Rocky, this race was put on as OLD SCHOOL DRAG RACING. People are aware of this. If I am going 130-140mph out the back door & not having issues with the losing control how is it that a 3500 lb. street car going 85 mph is losing it ?. It’s a driver problem, not the track. I have been a licensed NHRA driver for 30 years, I aint John Force but I know when to lift. There are more positions on the gas pedal than just on the floor. If these guys are having a hard time leaving the starting line without VHT , how is it I get from point A to B with 1000 HP without issues?
    Once you start prepping the track with VHT it becomes a competition track and if these guys don’t have enough sense to get off the gas & race another day, they shouldn’t be out there.DO NOT PUT DOWN ANYMORE VHT”
    This is what I told Rocky.

Tell me how is it that the multi million dollar F1 cars run at the Long Beach Grand Prix on city streets ? The whole Idea behind Eagle Field Drags was old school racing. Some people want a Christmas tree , lights , timers MPH & ET clocks. This will turn Eagle Field into a “Competition Track” not what the original concept was. FLAG START- NO PREP – Just for fun Racing. If these guys want VHT, clocks etc, then race at Sacramento, Bakersfield, etc . That’s where I go when I get serious and need 60’ clocks, mph clocks etc.
    Leave Eagle Field ALONE. The concept was to have fun . We all race on the same surface, so if I can get my 1000hp Roadster down Eagle Field at 140mph and not have issues and the guy in the street car looses control, what it it ? the track or the driver ? . A lot of these guys have never got serious racing their cars and get in over their head. So now we have to prep the track to let them go faster ? The fact is if your in trouble LIFT !!!!!!,
    I have been booked in to match race and lost control, I simply lift off the gas & I race another day. There isn’t a race worth killing myself or crashing the car. Some people have said go to a ¼ mile at Eagle Field. First there isn’t enough shut down & if some of these guys cant control it at 85, what are they going to do at 115mph ?
    If you want to get serious GO TO BAKERSFIELD RACEWAY where they spray the track and hand out time slips with RT, 60’ times etc.

The same thing is being done at the Destruction Derby track at Eagle Field, they water the dirt, creating mud & therefore reducing speeds and lessoning the chances of really hard impact…..FUN…remember ? Once Eagle Field starts getting serious, someone is going to get hurt and it will cease to exists, Joe Davis does not need this. We are his guest on his land. He is taking a risk with us and we need to stick with the original concept.
    Old fashion , drag racing like it started out with. THERE WAS NO TRACK PREP and everyone races on the same surface. I raced on the original runway and didn’t have handling issues smoking the tires the whole track. I of all people should have had problems since my tires never hooked, so is it the track or the driver ?
    It’s simple DON’T DRIVE OVER YOUR HEAD & DON’T BE A HERO. If I get out of shape I lift !

The Eagle Field Drags is a trip back in time to where there was no track prep. When we start getting too serious about beating the other guy in the other lane , then the fun stops.
    Eagle Field is an experiment in the works, going back in time. There are things that will get tweaked as time go’s on, It’s a leaning curve. I am there to have fun. If Eagle Field dosent fit what you want to do then you have other choices. This is Rocky’s race, we are guest of Joe Davis. Some people don’t like the canopies there, some the dust, others feel the need for a NHRA prepped track surface. This is the venue , enjoy it or stay home. I know this sounds harsh , but these are the facts. I have a car that’s worth $60,000 so if I can make it down the track knowing I can lift if I get in trouble, then the guy with the hopped up street car should do the same.
    99% of the people / cars at Eagle Field have a good time & understand the concept of old school racing. So being a democratic country and all, I have to conclude that the “one presenters” who have issues about the place should perhaps go to Bakersfield where the track is prepped, there’s no dust issues and they can get a time slip that shows they beat the guy in the other lane.
    Eagle Field is a step back in time. A time when racers, raced on old air bases & adjusted their driving skills to compensate for the track conditions. I suggest that the racers think about why we are stepping back in time. If you don’t like the past , your welcome to race in the present at your local NHRA track.
    Stormy
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid">[​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. stormy byrd

stormy byrd

Sorry for the double post , still getting use to the apps here.
    Stormy

3. A Flat perspective:
    Well said Stormy and I cannot agree more, Eagle is blast from the past and Rocky's vision is spot on. It has made this ol man really happy to put together a car and just go down and relive our teenage years. Nothing more nothing less just a great time at a great venue. Don't change a thing Roc you got it right the first time....................

4. Well said sir! I have timing slips from Famoso but I get a smile on my face at Eagle Field. Keep it "old school" and as I said in another "rant" thread the cry babies can just stay home, not needed here. :rolleyes:

5. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Both my buddy and I raced our real deal gassers at Eagle Field. We had a blast!!!Don't change a thing. Racing at Bakersfield has it's own charm but so dose Eagle Field. What a great place, We spent a lot of our time just driving around and looking at all the history there. Flag starts, dirt pits no timing lights has it's own charm too!!! You have to take it for what it is,, a fun time. Eagle field should not be a win or lose event it's fun.

Thank you Rocky for a great event.

Attached Files:

6. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

7. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

8. Stormy I totally agree with you and i would love to see Eagle Field drags stay true to it's original vision.
    (this is from Rocky's first post on Eagle Field)
    "So today as I'm walking around and taking photos I couldn't keep from thinking that how cool it would be to have an event here that would take you back! Back to the days of winning the 2nd World War and getting your kicks from souping up your old Hot Rod and running on an abandoned air strip."
    I also have been to all of the Eagle Field drag events in my opinion the first pre64 event was the best it felt like all the people there were on the same page don't get me wrong the next three events have been very fun and I will attend the future events. I just don't see Eagle Field drags turning back the clock quite as far as we originally anticipated....

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

The first Hot Rod drags is was why I got involved.

10. pcterm2

pcterm2

11. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I agree 100 percent. Let the crybabies that can't control their 400hp street cars stay home, or go race somewhere else.

The pre-64 Idea is awesome.

That being said, Rocky and his crew put on an awesome show, and I will be back to race next year guaranteed!

12. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i am not one to get into pissing contest, so I'll just say, this was probably the second best time i have ever had at a drag race!! the first, only cause i won money. hahaha. i didn't know how i would like the flag start. it was great!! my bantam is a 15 sec car and i haven't drove it anywhere that didn't have clocks and a tree, untill now. the only reason i haven't been to it before was money. if at all possible, i am making the next ones.
    as far as what stormy says, he is right on all accounts in my opinion. if a person is looking for a normal race, there are plenty of them every weekend. leave this one alone. as a matter of fact, that is why i went to this one in the first place.
    i know people that said, " i won't go to that because it won't tell me anything from the run". i guess, they can't have any fun without that time slip. to bad. they don't know what there missing.
    it was funny that this thread showed up. i was at the drivers meeting a little late and i was going to say if you get out of shape, LIFT. it ended before i could. i also thought this would be obvious and people would say that to me. i guess not.
    i am always grateful to anybody that puts on a race for me. i follow whatever they say. since they know more about what's going on than i do.
    anyway, my vote is to leave it just like it is.
    thank you

13. Another good pass at Eagle Field.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mVTX-EVG2AA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. RetroMasters

RetroMasters

Hey Stormy, I work with Joe at BellAir Motorsports! I just had to say it was great to have you involved with such a great event! And BellAir motorsports is excited to have you involved!

15. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

<TABLE id=yiv230510812bodyDrftID class=yiv230510812 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 _yuid="yui_3_1_1_9_130673990841132"><TBODY _yuid="yui_3_1_1_9_130673990841131"><TR _yuid="yui_3_1_1_9_130673990841130"><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" id=yiv230510812drftMsgContent _yuid="yui_3_1_1_9_130673990841129">[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I want to thank everyone for their kind words and support, as much as some people want change I will get back on course and accept I can't make everyone happy. So in the future No VHT, No Clocks, just good old fashion FUN! Here's a recap I sent out to all on my Eagle Field mailing list, as you can tell I really do enjoy myself :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WOW! What a party!!!! The Eagle Field Fresno Dragways Reunion II hosted 177 Grudge Racers, Blown Dragsters, Gassers and a Funny Car all Racing For the Love of it and over 2000 Fans enjoying the action.........Drag Race Nirvana! Check eaglefielddrags.com for some great photos of some great Drag Race Action![/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If ya missed it there are ways to catch up. Larry Luna and Steve Gonzales have their Simalcast[/FONT] archived on their quartermileproductions.com website. Larry and Steve encountered some difficulties but there is some good viewing and a Larry Luna DVD will be available soon, get on the list. If video isn't your thing Dave Wallace Jr. will have coverage in Hot Rod Deluxe and some in Hot Rod!
    If ya want the gear that was available on Race Day, check the Eagle Field Speed Shop to find your favorites and send me an Email to [email protected]. I can invoice you with PayPal for Credit Card Purchases or reply to those who would rather pay with a check or Money Order with a total and address to pay via "Snail Mail". I'm also taking orders for the event DVD's which will be available soon.
    Anyone wishing to keep up with the "Goings On" at Eagle Field can send me an Email (again to [email protected] ) and we'll keep you informed of ONLY Eagle Field Drags news and will not sell or use your address for anything other than Eagle Field News! I want to thank everyone for their support and our 100 strong Volunteer crew, a crew that kept the Gate Flowing, Racers Pit'd, Cars Tech'd, Staging Lanes Moving, Starting Line ready, Runway Safe for Racing and all the other Tasks which include Ground Work and the PA System to make our event a Success. A great group of Hard working people who make the Eagle Field Drags possible! I'm already looking forward to our October 8th event so stay tuned and check eaglefielddrags.com regularly for everything Eagle Field Drags! See ya at the Field, Rocky
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

16. Farm Truck

Farm Truck
    from Aromas

That's fine by me.. I should have done what I did the first time there.. That would have made the truck work a little better. I will be doing that secret for October. So is there a date yet? Danielle likes to plan way in advance (being an RN and working graveyard, work requires her to put vacation in like 4-6 months ahead of time). Looking forward to it..

17. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Jeeze Rocky, why can't it be October yet??!!! I couldn't agree more with everything that has been said. Simple works.

Some people just don't get it, I posted fliers around work and had a guy say, "Man, I would run my (new) Challenger there, but it's 8th mile and that's for pussies." I said "Don't flatter yourself, we wouldn't let you run anyway." He went on about how we wouldn't let him run because he'd smoke everyone in their old cars.... Ugh, the conversation was mind numbing to say the least.

Anyway, I typed all that out because I'm bored, (and a little hopped up on percocet!) and to illustrate that we don't need to accommodate everyone and their "needs." Wether that is allowing new cars, or VHT the whole track.

The concept of Eagle rings clear in my head, down home, grass roots FUN drag racing. For that and to hang out with old friends, the girls and I will always be there, in the dust, behind racer registration listening to the cackle of open headers, catching a whiff of raw race fuel mixed with dust and tire smoke with huge goddamned smiles on our faces!

Besides, who else could make me drive my family to the middle of nowhere twice a year for the greatest time ever?!! Well done Rocky, keep it up.

18. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

19. RetroMasters

RetroMasters

[​IMG]
    http://www.retromasters.com/Stormy-Byrd-Revalation-Metal-Sign_p_56.html

Stormy is being modest....Here is a cool art sign we have of his historic car!