Register now to get rid of these ads!

Daimler Princess Limo-Good Parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Splinter, May 24, 2011.

1. Splinter

Splinter

So, I did a complete rewiring job for a client on this Daimler Princess Limo, and the shop that is building this thing had to buy another complete car for parts. The job is almost done, and they have a car that they said they'de GIVE me just to get it gone. I know it has a Jag independant rearend, and unfortunately, the Jag 4.2 Litre is gone. Anything else on this beast I should grab before I cut it up? Do these have Lucas/Girling disc brakes in front? Any ideas on what to cut out before I cut up? It DOES NOT look like the picture, it's just for "illustration".....

Attached Files:

2. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

If the front suspension is the same as a
    Jag, that might be worth saving.

Mart306
    =======================

3. Weasel

Weasel

There is no such thing as a "Daimler Princess". Your photos show two completely different models - top the Daimler DR 450 Majestic Major which came with a 4.5 litre V8 hemi and bottom the Daimler DS 420 which came with the Jaguar 4.2 litre DOHC six. There was an Austin Princess A135 based on the A125 Austin Sheerline and built by Vanden Plas which was a popular wedding and funeral limo, with a 4 litre straight six engine. There were also a couple of Austin sedans called 'Princess' based on the A99 Westminster in the 1960s and then a wedge shaped Princess in the 1970s.

From your post it would appear that you are working on a Daimler DS 420,. which is the bottom photo of the two you posted and a very different beast fropm the DR450 shown in your top photo. Below is an Austin A135 Princess....

[​IMG]

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Why crush it? If they have the title (or you can get one), drop a V8 in it and drive it or flip it.

5. yeah 2nd on keeping it or flipping it.... what kind of rear end does it have?

6. Jag IRS. These are all heavy duty Jag parts. Nothing particularly special. Bigger brakes possibly?

Very popular cars in the UK with undertakers and Mayors! There is a hearse version also.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  7. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

Take it and sell it as a parts car to someone that needs it.Why cut it up?

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one more for why cut it up ??? find a place that caters to those cars and see if there is any interest.

9. Most likely the car is missing hard to find parts. Getting it road worthy may be a bigger job than worthwhile. Limey Steve has a Daimler hemi in his roadster. That does not necessarily make him an expert but he most certainly knows more than most HAMBers. He is in Whittier. I'd check with him before firing up the hot wrench.

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I thought Daimler was German.. Why would it have a British Jag front end?? Just curious.....

11. 12905

Hey SM 48

Daimler Benz (parent of Mercedes Benz and former owner of Chrysler) is German. Daimler is British and a very close cousin to Jag. May be lots of good parts there, or a driver with other power as noted by others.

12. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

That's Daimler AG (formerly Daimler-Benz and DaimlerChrysler), who has never actually sold cars under the Daimler nameplate AFAIK. Daimler Motor Company was British and is now a division of Jaguar.

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

German: DIME-ler Benz
    British: DAME-ler

Talking pronunciation here, not spelling.

14. Hr Daimler was German - you may remember him for (argueably) inventing the car.:p
    But Daimler is a British car company.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Fredrick Simms an Englishman born in Hamburg, was on the lookout for a power source to use in his 'Aerial Flights' (overhead railcar) and befriended Daimler, who at that time was using his new engine in motorboats. Simms saw the potential for marketing this engine in Britain. He took up the patent rights and formed a company in Britain in 1893 called 'The Daimler Motor Syndicate Ltd'.[/FONT]"

Hence the British car company Daimler (who were later bought out by Jaguar).

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Thanks for clearing up the confusion for me.......

Last edited: May 24, 2011