Register now to get rid of these ads!

May 2011 Banger Meet Spring has sprung now drive'm

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, May 1, 2011.

1. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

I dont know nothing and I am pretty good at it over 50years experience

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

How do you ride a motorcycle?

Shouldn't they have seat belts?

3. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

I'm here today to apoligise to those I've offended with my remarks yesterday.

Bill, in the past I found your postings very helpfull. I really hope to see you continue to share your knowledge.

Bluto, sorry about the juvenile name calling. I understand you where defending your friend and that's how it should be.

Crazy, I have a better sence of what this thread is about now. Just to be clear, the multi clutch set-up was pulled from a load going to the scrapper. It is now in the hands of someone who is restoring an AR.

Once again sorry if I rubbed you in the wrong way. I do value the information you all contribute here.

Ron

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

What you mean 'IF' .................

5. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

OK ... delet "if"

Ron

6. rmak

rmak
    from Ohio

The first question sounds like one for the search function.:D:D

As far as the second one, bike riders are immortal, so no safety gear is required.

7. I would be happy to show you personally how to ride a motorcycle. It is one of the most enjoyable things do in life and I think everyone should experience it.

There are many safetycrats that feel that they should have seatbelts.

Thanks you experienced folks who have commited to sharing;)

Bryan

8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I have been riding since 12. Have a pretty nice collecton of bikes but due to my health haven't ridden is years so I have been selling them off.

I own no four cylinder bikes so this has nothing to do ith bangers

Fir those of you that think of Honda ..... I am thinking F/N, Pierce, Henderson and all the other chitty chitty of the past.

AND BMW has tried to force us all into 'SAFETY' for many years......

Can we all get back to bangers, please....... this is starting to get too 'group hug'

9. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

OK here is some banger stuff...
    I started the header last Sunday. I need to order some 3" pipe to rap it up.
    The intake came from GARY
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  10. Dare I ask this question ? Well what the hell, the end of the world is only a few hours away so what have I got to lose ? Other than the cool factor, what would be the advantage (if there is one) of running a magneto on my street "B" powered roadster over a distributor? Please ignore this question if you think it is a waste of your time to reply.

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

World's not ending go look at CNBC

Advantage? You can push start your car if the starter or battery fail.

Minus ...... higher fuel consumption. Maybe depending on how your motor is tuned

Next world ending Dec 2011 Mostly du to the Mayans running out of room and not wanting to start over

12. Thanks Bluto for all of the great info, it's always educational !!!
    Ron

13. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I ran a mag ont the street. The OHV head I was running blocked the stock distributor drive hole. INHO the only advantave is that you can start them with a dead battery. The disadvantage is that they have no means for automatic or centrifical advance.

The modern "elecronic" ignition set ups will put out more spark voltage then these bangers need on the street. Bill is even doing it with a stock B dist. and points will great sucsess.

Do you know what time the world will end? I've go some things to do today and need to make sure I get them done first.

14. Thanks Crazy,I can call you you "Crazy" can't I....lol. I had a couple of mags on a V-8 60 midget that I had the great pleasure of been the keeper of for a bunch of years and I thought it would be neat to have one on the roadster since it has so many cool items on it now. Maybe not the best reason to look for one but.......
    Anyway, I thought the end was supposed to happen around 6 Pacific but according to Bluto , we have a few more months to go.:)
    Thanks again, Ron

15. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Preping the car for the Antique Nats next month. So I pulled the engine to check the bearings. Pulled the main and after @ 8,000 miles that I know of, the clearance was @ .002". It had .008" of shim on both sides. I pulled one .003" from one side and now I have .001" clearence. So far, 7+ compresion hasn't hurt my bottom end.

[​IMG]

16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

You can call me anything you would like....just don't call me late to dinner.

I like the look of a mag too. I have thought of gutting a Mag and mounting a dist with mech advance inside the mag body.

But now that the world will end soon, It probably won't make it to the top of my "to do" list.

17. I meant to tell you that I do enjoy your signature " I've tried nothing ...and I'm all out of ideas."
    Very clever ! Another one I like is " If it wasn't for cops and physics, I'd be unstoppable". I believe that's how it reads.......Great stuff from good minds !!
    Ron

18. Bodger45

Bodger45

I wonder if your exaust would work better if #2,3,& 4 were swept back into the main pipe rather than a tee?

19. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yes... it would be better but not as good as the 4 to 1 I took off.
    I am going for the old header look were you would go out and bent the tubes on the tree out back so it would be a T. I am still looking for a larger u bend for the 1st turn its only a 2.5 r and I don't like it. I am going to cut the cone back by #4 and run a straight pipe back. Some day I will find a old drive shaft and that would give it the real look but for now the lake pipes are real cheap

20. RandyLP

RandyLP

World cant come to an end I am no wheres NEAR done with my Banger..

21. RussTee

RussTee

This is something that has puzzled me as well my solution has been the front plate that has just arrived from Patric Gary Enterprise a lot of thought has gone into this and the workmanship is beyond first rate. My Rutherford head was designed primary for racing and needed a sidedrive, I have always found modern electronic distributors give me trouble free running and starting so by running this plate which also puts the water pump in the right place I can also run the electronic dizzy and adapt a oil pump maybe thats why the Japs run modern dizzys and not mags nowdays?

22. ebtm3

ebtm3

There have been so many posts today, that this is a couple pages behind BUT--

"Being afraid to make mistakes is the worst quality a person can have".

True words CDO--true words!

Herb

23. noboD

noboD

Does the end of the world follow the date line like the clock? If so, Bluto, would you let us know when it happens so we can be ready?

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

..............................................................................................................................................................

25. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

can any one read Bluto's code?
    I hope he said he worked on his HAL today and is going to show some more pic ASAP :D

26. Oh my god !
    He said to mak...................................................................................

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

CraZZZZ

I am not so sure that a timing curve is really needed in a light car carring little load and with a broad power band.....

Mag choice is important ..... the more amps the coil the better. Most carbon brush farm mags are low power. Only good in a low reving engine.

I use Vertex rebuilt by Zig with a high amp replacement coil in the case of our prewar BMW cars they will idle at 500 rpm and run easily to 6000+
    The cam I use is 300-300 The flywheel is very light We pull a gear that is a little over 25 mph per 1000 rpm Car weighs less than 700kg wet

I always carry a spare conventional system ..... in ten years o using the car the mag got weak one time.

I've got several of these mags ..... For giggles I ran one on the street in my GMC 228. I switched to a Mallory dual point some years back with a custom made Petronix set up. Only thing I noticed was the fuel consumption went down and the wide spot between 2nd and 3rd was less noticable. Oh the Petronix failed on me once too in all these years

Again truck pulls a high speed diff too.

So I think a good hot mag set-up is good and looks good too. Just really depends on your car and it's set up .......

28. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

HAL is waiting for the five main blocks to be finished..... don't hold your breath for photos

Looking at the Ford block I know it's basic design isn't strong. When this car is done I don't want Mrs B breaking it.

The HAL won't be working til next year, and then only maybe.

No biggie she has plenty of old cars to race :D

29. RussTee

RussTee

But the man who does nothing never makes a mistake I make heaps and learn heaps is that experience or am I just an old fart

30. Bodger45

Bodger45

Or you could do something like this, I've seen a few early pictures,(late thirties, early forties) of this type of exhaust, its crude and functional. I made this one about 10 years ago... I didn't use a tree though.

Attached Files: