Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 ford taillights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BStoltz, May 19, 2011.

1. BStoltz

BStoltz

I am fairly certain 40 ford taillights have a bit of an arc to them but has anybody modified a pair to work on the back of a model A? If so could you post some Pictures? I've searched through many of the taillight threads and have not seen an A with this modification yet.... Thanks for the help.

2. That's because it probably would not look that great. Kinda a large taillight for a Model A. Not proportional in other words.

3. BStoltz

BStoltz

According to the measurments i have it would not be any larger than two 39 teardrops side by side.... this is what am thinking. Anyone else? this is not my car btw but it was the best rear view of a fendered a i have on this computer. Pulled it off the hamb this afternoon.

Attached Files:

4. they arent very big,just not realy the best matching light for an A

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I kinda like the look of photo #1. It could be done with a spacer between the body and the taillight. The tail definately has a curved mounting surface and so does the trim and glass.

6. Go with '39 teardrops (one per side). '40 tailights just don't seem right for a Model A. Just my dumb ass opinion. '50 Pontiac would be another attractive alternative. Whatever you do, please don't put Mustang tailights on there!....Don.

7. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

If thats what you want to do then you could make the gasket base from a thick piece of rubber and put it on the bandsaw and cut the contour you need. Everyone either has 39's or 50 pontiac so being different gets my vote. I like em straight up in pic 3.

8. mj40's

mj40's

I can remember when these were used a lot on Model A's. I never liked them much though!
    [​IMG]

9. Weasel

Weasel

The TRADITIONAL choices would be '39 Ford, '46-'48 Chevy, '40 Pontiac or even '36 Chrysler or de Soto. But if you're after that '70s look - you know, the decade of bad taste...

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Photo one is the choice mounting setup. Different and not hideous.

11. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I don't like any of the 40's for your application, but IMO photo #1 looks like turn signals rather than taillights.

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

French them and go with picture number one !!
    Cheers,

13. BStoltz

BStoltz

thanks for the input everyone. I suppose i see where they look reminiscent of the 70's, just trying to find a different taillight option other than the standard 50 pontiac and 39 ford. both those lights look good but goddam everyone has em...

14. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I wonder why that is?... :rolleyes:

15. May I suggest 41 Ford taillight lenses frenched in. My dad had them on the back of his Model roadster at one time . Looked real good in my opinion. They were laid out in the horizontal plane.

16. Rikster

Rikster

1948 Chevy units.. with the chrome trim around ti. Look very good.

17. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Go with the '39 teardrop items...Classics are always a good bet!

4TTRUK