Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shop recomendation: Dallas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Hop Walla, May 6, 2011.

1. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

Gonna show my F100 some love. Any recomendations for a shop that can fix some rusty bits, paint, upholstery, etc.? Want to go frame-off if the price is right. Want to stick with someone who appreciates traditional hotrodding.

I live near White Rock Lake.

dka

2. Anderson

Anderson

what quality of work do you want? or the more appropriate question, how much money are you willing to spend?

3. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

4. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

Fair question, Anderson.

I don't want my balls placed in a vise. On the other hand, if I wanted mediocre work I'd attempt it myself.

I require good craftsmanship without any disappointments. I have some major items to be done on my punchlist. And a few minor items.

If I have to sacrifice minor to afford the major, I'll do what I have to do. That said, my budget may prove to be enough.

dka

5. Hatfields or Brian Bass. Their the best.

6. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I work in a local shop, out of the way, and we just completed a 53 Chevy Pickup. Expect to spend at least $25K for everything but an engine replacement. This means AC, Power steering, rust repair, paint, upholstery, brakes, wide whitewall tires, bumpers, new radiator, and lots of labor.

7. Master of None

Master of None

I've never met the man but I'm really impressed with the work of Brian Bass. If I were in the Texas area, he would have a tough time getting me to leave his shop and quit picking his brain.

8. deucemanab

deucemanab

Sachse rod shop sachse,texas

9. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Brian Bass comes to mind.

10. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I am very familiar with the great work of Bass, Hatfield, and Sachse but the premier shop in Texas right now is J&J Rod shop in Westminster which is about 45 miles NE of Dallas. Their 40 Ford coupe was nominated for the Ridler award and garnered a Great Eight award at the Detroit Autorama. If you google Detroit Autorama results you will see that their 40 won the online vote by a large margin over the 56 rag top that won the Ridler. Even better, their hourly rate is less than the rest. If you visit their shop be prepared to be stunned.

11. Highly recommended. These guys will work with you to see how far your budget will go and what the best bang for your buck will buy you.

The other guys recommended on this thread are good also. you will not go wrong with any of them. Nothing is better than dropping by their shops and talking with the guys yourself. Once you talk with some of the guys from the various shops you will know who you will want to work on your rig, IMHO.

12. metalman1

metalman1
    from tatum

Hot Rods by JSK over in cumby,tx.Jeff Kinsey is the shop owner,they do real nice work,They are right off of I30 east of greenville.He has a nsra safty day open house once a year,we went over there a few years ago & were very impressed with his work,& his nephew's got great tig welding talent,they do louvers,their sheetmetal work looked great.

13. BigVinDaddyMac

BigVinDaddyMac

Hmmm...I taught Cody to TIG weld, And now he's famous.