Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about road draft SBC's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, May 18, 2011.

1. I have a 64 283 which used to have the road draft tube. The road draft tube has been removed and I plan on running a plug and a PCV where the road draft tube was attached. Under the intake is a "can" I assume it is some sort of baffle but I am not sure. Can/Should this be removed? The problem is I have an aftermarket (Edelbrock) intake and the can/baffle is in the way. Thanks, Todd

2. You can remove the baffle and put a baffled bushing in the hole where the road draft tube went into the block. Or sometimes you can just shorten the baffle/can up enough to clear the intake.

Mr Gasket makes baffled grommets/bushings they are cheap like a couple of bucks for two of them.

3. aaggie

aaggie

You can leave the "can" out and just plug the hole where the road draft tube exits the back of the block. You must have some kind of crankcase ventilation on the engine or it will puke oil, blow out gaskets and other nasty stuff.

Valve cover breathers and PVC valve at least.

4. dudley32

dudley32

I'm assuming you are also running later valve covers as your oil fill is also eliminated...

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I have the exact opposite problem on my 283. The guy I got the motor from was going to put it into an 80's truck so it had the baffle removed and plugged the holes. I will be running no valve breathers and have to run the internal baffle! If anyone has one I need it!

6. dudley32

dudley32

p.m. me I think I have one...

7. I am planning on running one of these setups. http://www.lategreatchevy.com/chevy-pcv-valve-kit-small-block-1955-1968.html

It is basically just a rubber plug,elbow and PCV valve that goes in place of the road draft tube. I am just wondering if I will be ok with out the bafflr in thier.
    I did some coler looking at the clearence issue. I may be able to put a small "notch" in the baffle and get the clearence I need. Todd

8. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Just plug the hole, make sure you have a breather in the opposite valve cover of the pcv, and make sure you have a baffle under the pcv, or that it isn't directly over a rocker arm

9. Actually, I am not running s PCV in the valve covers. I am running it out of the hole where the road draft tube was.
    My big concern is if I eliminate the vapor can will I suck oil out instead of just vapors. I really dont think their is alot of oil flying around the lifter valley. Thanks, Todd

10. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I don't think you should run into to much trouble with that, are you going to run a breather in the valve cover? you need to pull air from somewhere

11. bob308

bob308

a better way would be to run a corvette oil fill tube with the pcv in it and pull air in the hole in the back of the block like mid year corvettes do.

12. The manifold has a oil filler tube on it. It has a push on cap that allows air to enter. Todd

13. Good point!! I forgot about those. Thanks, Todd

14. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I think it would look cleaner the way you originaly planned, no hose running up front

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

If you remove the can/baffle/seperator and add a PCV valve there, the engine will definitely use oil. It's necessary to seperate the oil droplets that are flying around the intake from the vapors it draws out. You can modify the stock can to clear the intake or fabricate one that will fit. I've used a small donald duck juice can cut down, ventilated, and stuffed with coarse stainless wool.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If your manifold has the hole for the fill tube in front, then it should fit over the breather baffle without interference. Did you test it for clearance? I was thinking that it must be some kinda new fangled shit but if it has the oil fill tube hole in the front, it should work. I don't understand.

17. Tommy
    We actually ran an old Edelbrock with the oil fill on a 283 a couple of years ago. I don't recall the number but a holley was a bolt on. Anyway long story short it wouldn't clear the breather baffle. It surprised the hell out of me.

What I ended up doing was running the baffled grommet like I suggested.

Anopther option would be to remove the cannister and replace it with a plate with holes drilled in it. Keep the holes small it will accomplish the same purpose but the baffled grommet is byfar the cheapest and easiest way to go you gotta have a grommet anyway.

18. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Your 64 - 283 never came with a road draft tube. All motors were equipped with PCV as of 1961. Federal law required closed crankcase. Chevy did not change the casting & just installed the PCV and a vent to the air cleaner, some had the PCV in the back and the vent on the fill pipe and others were reversed.

19. dudley32

dudley32

Sorry all of them came with a draft tube and cannister...I have a "64 283 as well as a '67 327....and as well the intakes have front oil fill...maybe in Ca. but not here....

20. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Corvette Central has the baffle. PART #301155

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...~S3800G2ZIC68184317380k~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000050B

21. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

The hole for the baffle is about an inch off the floor of the lifter valley, then turns 90 degrees up for about an inch and a half , there will not be a lot of splashing around in that area, there is by far a lot more going on in the valve cover area and how many
    cars are running around with pcvs in thier valve covers without a baffle. If you are concerned drill a few 1/8 th inch holes in a welch plug and drive it down the vertical tube far enough to let the pcv clear

22. 2-TONED

2-TONED

that intake will fit on that baffle just bend the lip some. i see them all the time bent some to clear an aluminum intake.

23. Jimm56

Jimm56

PCV hit California first. The other 49 followed suit in 1963.

24. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

25. dudley32

dudley32

didn't happen here till '68...

26. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

This makes sense to me. It's not like the thing is a piston sized for a certain hole. A little body work is not going to alter its performance. It's just a baffle.

It may not matter to you but if you don't want the "kit look"...

[​IMG]

This is the piece that was on my 67 283 Elcamino from the factory and it is available repro and then all you need is a piece of emission hose and a 67 283 PCV valve. I don't know the prices but it's usually cheaper to make your own kit.

27. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Must be North Carolina wasn't part of the US until 1968

Just did a little research and found that California got it in 1961 all other states 1962.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  28. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I had a California model, 65 Nova with factory 283, had the road draft and the can,
    solid script valve covers with no holes..
    still got the can, sold the road draft to a guy here on the hamb couple of months ago.