Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Radio for a 36 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47chevycoupe, May 13, 2011.

1. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Searched and found very little.

Just wondering what everybody is using?? Factory radio or??? Need something to plug the big hole in the dash.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The stock radio was an AM tube type radio and if I recall it was pretty heavy too. The controller that goes in the dash is VERY cool looking the way it is, if it works with what you have going on inside. For the cars that did NOT have the radio, there was an ashtray option. Maybe you could find that. I'm not sure if Ford ever had a "delete plate" for that hole from the factory, but it would certainly be easy enough to adapt a gauge or any other type of interesting thing into that opening.

3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

There was a delete plate available. It has a V8 on it, but I don't think you can use the Waterfall trim piece with it. Not sure on that, as we've never tried combining the two.

I run this Motorola but I have an original head unit too. I don't run the "radio" box, because as Scooter said, it's heavy and bulky. My friend Todd had his rebuilt so he can play his iPod through it. It's awesome.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet! Very cool idea! Did he keep the speaker too?

Good to know about the delete plate!

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The ashtray filled the hole in the dash unless it had the optional radio. It would be much cheaper and probably easier to find. Then you can put a radio in the glove box or hide one of those modern tune type thingies that I know nothing about.:D

6. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Yes there is a delete plate. Mine does not have a v8 on it and it is not for sale. I want to get a swivel ashtray for it. I would think the waterfall would work with the delete plate.

7. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Here's an old classified listing with a radio delete with the waterfall. I'm almost positive we have a dash somewhere in the barn that has the V8, but no waterfall. I'll have to ask my Dad if he remembers seeing it.

http://66.154.44.164/forum/showthread.php?t=492932

8. ctfordguy

ctfordguy

Hi Django,
    Who rebuilt your friend Todd's 36 Radio to add IPod?
    Thanks, Bruce

9. Steverod

Steverod

Thats a very interesting thread .I use for the moment a bose station where i can add my i-phone for 5hours without recharging.But i searching for an original unit too to use it with the Iphone.
    I am also interested houw Todd add it.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When I bought my '36 Five Window in 1958, it had the original radio, worked perfect. There was a restorer in the neighborhood, and he traded me an ash tray and $300 for that radio!
    I thought I was slick, because I paid $275 for the car...that $300 bought me a pair of used Edelbrock heads and 3-jugger with 97s to finish my 276" 5/16" X Quarter mill...

11. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

I would like to find a radio and get it converted if possible. Would like to have the dash looking stock. They done an excellent job of designing the dash originally.

12. I used the hole for the radio/ ash try for the tach and hid the radio in the glove box. I mounted it up to the top so i still have a space below to throw my junk. The only dead give away to the radio is the speakers in the kick panels and rear quarter panels. In hind sight, I would have done a better job of hiding the speakers, oh well maybe next time !!! Mitch.

13. toddle321

toddle321

Hi Guys - I'm Chad's friend Todd.

My radio conversion was done by this guy:

http://www.turnswitch.com/

I think it took 4 or 6 weeks. I used a '34-'35 style radio (the one with the tan fabric cover with "Ford" script in black), I like it better than the later '36 style. I sent him a good head, so he didn't have to do anything to that. I also had to send him a new fabric radio cover, I found a nice one from a guy on ebay. He removed all of the tubes and replaced the internals with a circuit board for AM/FM/ipod and single speaker. He will give you a circuit board that will do multiple speakers if you ask. It's controlled totally by the head, I don't have any switches on the box. The only way you can tell it was converted is that I have a red and white RCA outlet on the side to connect my ipod. I have honestly never bothered to hook up an antenna for the AM/FM, I just listen to my ipod when driving. It sounds decent on the one speaker with the top down or up even at highway speeds.

On my next one I'm going to do it myself, Ryan posted a how-to a few months back on a setup where you buy an amp/speaker and a couple parts from radio shack to build your own. The new ipods have AM/FM, so I may even be able to make that work...

Let me know if you have any questions or want pictures.

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Radios for early Fords have always been goodies. Can't tell you how many I've sold over the years at swap meets. Some worked, some didn't, all sold quickly.

Just wish I had not sold the several good radio control heads I had over the years too.

15. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Would be interested in what your radio head looks like.

16. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Here is what I did on my 36 3W. Keep in mind, it may be too modern for some. I bought a Clarion marine radio that has an optional remote head that fits perfectly in the stock hole. Allows me to listen to the radio, IPOD, or CDs with a fairly nice user interface. The radio is mounted in a panel under the rear window.

Doug

Attached Files:

17. toddle321

toddle321

I'm at work, so I just stole a pic off the internet. They look like this

Attached Files:

18. IMG_9108b.jpg IMG_9109b.jpg

Here is the important end of the radio head. In my opinion any older radio with tuning knobs could be converted to work with these ends. I'd try it if needed, but you wouldn't have to have the original radio head either.

I'd start with a piece of aluminum plate and cut out the face similar to the stock radio head face. A tin cup of suitable size could provide a bucket to mount the radio dial into, and allow the home made dial face to be lit. A couple of small toy gears (a hobbie shop that sells R/C cars would have a good supply) would work the dial as you turn the knob and I'd make the control cable from speedometer cable. There are good strong glues out there that would enable you to attach fixtures for interfacing with the hidden radio. Perhaps somone could use these Ideas and do a how to for the tech archive.

I saw an ashtray last week at a swap meet. I wish I'd have known of your need then I'd have scooped it for you.

19. As a matter of fact I have an example right here that would make a good candidate for this idea. I found it at a thrift store but I'm sure any outfitter would have a variety of new ones from their camping dishes supplies. Just match to the size of your opening.

IMG_9110b.jpg

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Now that you say that, I seem to remember seeing someone that used a 33/36 head unit to control a 70s radio remotely.

21. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check your local boat shop, they make a marine radio that fits right in. Check with Stormin Norm on here, he did it with a 36 cabriolet. He may have a part number, or can send you in the right direction.

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Isn't that radio digital though? Ewwwwww... :D

[​IMG]

23. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I have the original radio out of my '36 if anyone is interested. It worked when I removed it 9 years ago.

24. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

PM sent!

25. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

currently listening to glasspacks in mine! never figured to put a radio in it; but that might change if i road trip it this summer!

26. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

The pic that Tommy posted on page one is the 36 pull-open ashtray, the 35 flip-around ashtray is the one with the V8 on it. The delete plate is just smooth, no V8, and can be used with either year of waterfall. I haven't seen a V8 delete plate, but I guess it's possible. If I did, I would LOVE to have it!! Here's a pic of MR. FORD's Model A coupe with 36 dash, 35 waterfall and radio delete:

[​IMG]