Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just wanted to try this for myself...VINEGAR BATH...***UPDATE May 27th***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 15, 2011.

1. bonesy

bonesy

It like Christmas Eve, I'm so excited for tomorrow to see the results!

Yea, I'm a dork.

2. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

larry down here in the south we would just throw some sliced cucumbers in there with it. at least every time you go look at it you'd get a snack out of it.:D

3. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

If these:

[​IMG]

come out like these:

[​IMG]

I'm gonna try!

4. fleetside66

fleetside66

I did it a couple of years ago with the skeletons of my 32-34 truck doors, when I was chopping & reconstructing them. You should've seen the looks I was getting when I bought all the vinegar. It's something you just can't explain standing in the grocery store line. They came out really nice...you're going to really be surprised with your wheel. The only hitch is that they start flash rusting almost immediately. I think I hosed them off real good, dried them in the sun & with a heat gun & laid some primer on them right away. I made my own custom sized container by making a frame with some studs & lining it with some rubber roofing material I had left from a roofing job.

5. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

You should then try a double blind cross over study. It's an experiment designed to test the effect of a treatment or substance by using groups of experimental and control subjects in which neither the subjects nor the investigators know which treatment or substance is being administered to which group. This could keep your car buddies guessing until the results are revealed!!

6. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got any beans and cornbread cooking ? No need to waste all that good vinegar .Tastes alittle like iron. :rolleyes:

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

thanks... you just hurt my brain.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. reddw

reddw
    from akron ohio

It should take about a week or two. But you should not disturb the vinegar. Let it work.
    It took two week for my 440 Chrysler head to come clean,

9. George T G

George T G

I figured when you are done with the vinigar you can settle down with a qt of Mobil 1 and a queercumber and have a snack. Guarnteed no problems on the "throne" and no rust in either pipes.:eek:

10. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Nice, I've been thinking about trying this myself.

11. HambBurglar

HambBurglar
    from Cincinnati

A similar but smaller scaled test at home took 7 days and then a light wire brushing. Worked great.

12. fleetside66

fleetside66

Maybe it didn't flash rust as fast as I remembered, because I just uncovered this picture of the door I soaked in vinegar (not the new skin part, obviously).

[​IMG]

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

is it soup yet?...

sorry I'm a couple hours late for the 24 hour update...I just went to buy a new-to-me 1956 Ford Gasser. :D

Ok, I took the top off the soup and it is starting to bubble up. And the part of the wheel that holds the hubcap has started to sweat...it was dry in the first pic...IT'S WORKING!

Attached Files:

14. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Can I get in on this most pressing research, Larry? I have no life either......I have more vinegar too, if you need it....

CB

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I AM taking donations Brucie...:)

16. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

Vinegar is a weak acid. Takes ages but it doesn't really do much harm either.

You can try coke, it's slightly more acid than vinegar, probably not cheaper though! :D

I used to clean stuff with phosphoric acid, cleaned up really good and quick, and left the surface phosphated, so with a good clean it was ready to paint. Awesome stuff!

17. 69fury

69fury

I had good results with my brake drums and header collectors. I made sure to keep it all submersed to let the vinegar work.

you say the dry part is starting to sweat? Is the rust wicking up the juice?

-rick

18. I was tryin' to sit around and watch this with you guys, but I've already had to go for more beer twice now. Either I'm impatient, or it's takin' too long..

19. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

Hell yea it's working, what did you exspect from the 1st known womans douch bag treatment to get rid of that day old tuna smell!!!

20. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

.........one time, I put my little brother in a tub full of vinegar........you guys are wierd. Must be why I love the HAMB.

21. yes, it's called "cash for dunkers"

22. It would be cool if someone would remove the wheel before Larry uncovers it. We could tell him he left it too long!

23. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I have no idea...it surprised me that the dry part of the wheel has sweated like that. No one has moved or jossled the tub...Fumes maybe?

24. I took a vinegar bath once..... shriveled up my universal joint.....:eek:

25. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Got any pictures of the '56 Ford Gasser? :D

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yeah! As interesting, and exciting as the vinegar test is, I'd sure like to see the Ford gasser! At least while we're waiting!

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is there enough film in the world to do that? :rolleyes:

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

tough crowd...yeah, I'll go get some pics...gimme a little while.

29. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Wonder how many gallons of vinegar it would take to submerge a 31 tudor body? :)

30. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

What do you do with the used up vinegar after you done de-rusting your parts? And while I'm asking dumb questions, can you reuse the vinegar for a 2nd or 3rd (or more) derusting processes, how many times would it be effective to reuse? Gene