Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y block alternator bracket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragonknucks, May 13, 2011.

1. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Is anyone currently running a Mummert alternator bracket on their y block? I just got mine and installed it. I basically need to know what size belt I need to get. The one that was on there previously is too big and I dont want to make a bunch of trips to the parts store. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rocky

2. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Cut an old belt to fit and then take it to your friendly parts house and have them measure it for an exact fit.

3. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Sorry, still pretty new to rodding. Didn't even think of that. Boy do I feel like an idiot. Thanks for the tip.

4. Don't choose the size based on closing everything to the minimum and the belt down in all of the grooves - if you do, it'll really be hard to get the short new belt over the fully collapsed adjustment.

If you do the "cut an oldie" trick, size it to just barely go over the smaller of the pulley set. Otherwise you'll maybe have to do some serious prying to get the new belt on.