Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

2. Oh yeah I remember those days too, only I was a Ford parts guy. Pinto 2.3 engine tuneup consisted of plugs, points, condenser, a camshaft, & a set of followers, timing belt. . . . oh and if it's an automatic gimme a flexplate too.

3. atsf359

atsf359

Perfectly said ! ! ! !

4. atsf359

atsf359

I have this set in perfect condition with the original car and extra stuff...I cant give it away...no one wants to give me anything for it...even the outer box is in excellent condition

5. atsf359

atsf359

Where's Hitler?

6. kenny do it

kenny do it
    from so-cal

Sunday ride to Clear Lake Mn, about 5 miles south of New Ulm. My brother's trike and other Flying Dutchmen MC members bikes. 1973 or '74.

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

LMFAO :D:D Thanks I needed that !!

8. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

[​IMG]

my mom circa 1953.

[​IMG]

my great uncle Marlin circa 1935 in Echo Canyon, AZ.

9. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

[​IMG]

my Grandparents, my mom (little girl on the left) and my aunts with their first car, a Model A that they paid $5 a month on for ten months until they paid it off.

[​IMG]

my Granny and great aunt Lizzie.

[​IMG]

my Grandad (in the middle) and my great aunt Lois in the '58 Ford.

10. 1930u

1930u
    from midwest

Corvette drag cars

11. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Way off topic but Pro-sports are marketed differently today therefore gererating much more cash and the winfall doesn't stay with the owners but is bargained to the players. I don't support prosports by buying t-shirts hats or tickets.

12. 1930u

1930u
    from midwest

I don't support pro-sports at all.

13. S.F.

S.F.

Actually, Im not trying to stir up drama, just letting you know that I researched it today at the museum after I was done striping, I was truly curious. i talked to a historian and we looked up this post. He Identified the car as a 1934 Darrin bodied Packard and showed me some pictures. I was correct in my first posting. It has a packard chassis and engine, as well as grill shell and front fenders. Post 16594 is about a different car.

14. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda
    from Virginia

These sets are huge. Since the cars are 1/25 scale it took alot of space to set up these tracks. Since the cars used the bodies of the very collectable promotional model cars, both the cars and the race track sets seem to pull some serious money on e-bay when they show up.
    I always wanted one of these when I was a kid. Not now though. I just don't have the space, and wouldn't be satisfied with a simple oval.
    Heres a video of someone's track all set up and running.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9emWbmJpx5s

15. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

I presume you are talking about the original subject car(the light colored 34 LeBaron roadster)? If so, your historian is incorrect. We have established what that car is and your statements about it were incorrect. If you are talking about the dark colored car in the photo you supplied from the museum(which is a different design that the light car), I only stated that it was a later model than a '34. In '34, Dutch Darrin was in Paris and not designing bodies for Packards. He returned to the U.S. in 1937 and did his first Packard in '37. IIRC it was a custom for Dick Powell. None of this has anything to do with 16594.

16. I'm not an athletic supporter either. :D

17. moefuzz

moefuzz

Jack Benny, Mary Livingston and Rochester at the wheel of Jacks legendary Maxwell.

Always loved the Jack Benny Radio Show. The shows from the 40's were the best.

Thanks for posting the pic

18. Leo1940

Leo1940

[​IMG]

My 1st. hot rod 1960 Carlton Australia

19. oldflame

oldflame

Great photos wombat barf. I do enjoy the old book and magazine scans but, I love the family snap shots when the car was a member of the family and must agree with flatheadguy and atsf359 that it's the variety on this thread that makes it special (and addicting).

20. hoarder1

hoarder1

No, I think you've got the bull by the horns there. That's just a bunch of interstate hauliers parked in town for a night out.;)

21. oldflame

oldflame

I haven't seen anything on the H.A.M.B. about the craze that swept the northeast in the early 60's- Figure 8 Racing. I think it started with ABC's Wide World of Sports showing races from Islip, NY. Is that true? Every high school kid started building a car to run at the local dirt track.

22. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Good Ol` Ed...What a guy.(n)

23. "...Seven little girls, sittin' in the back seat..." (well, almost 7). Where's Fred? :)

24. Early 70s "Air Force Daze"... Shaw AFB, South Carolina.

Me:

[​IMG]

and a couple of 'barracks buddies'. As E3s & E4s, not much $$$ but we sure kept our rides clean!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first - and last - Plymouth, a '70 covertible:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Vintageride

Vintageride

A star is born (904080).

Auburn speedster advert is from Brooklyn NY Daily Eagle 1928 February. www.fultonhistory.com

Vintageride

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  26. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

a little pre memorial day tribute...
    1 Japanese Kawanishi H8K seaplane after strafing. Kwajalein
    2 Squad of Rufe's at Bougainville. These planes were very nimble even with the pontoons 3 The A6M2-N float plane version of the Zero did extremely well, suffering only a small loss in its legendary maneuverability.
    Top speed was not affected, however, the aircraft's relatively light armament was a detriment. 4 Snow on deck. USS Philippine Sea North Pacific1945 5HARVS on the way in shot by a P-47. Rare shot 6 Deck crew climbing up to get the pilot out. He did. That's a fuel tank his foot is on. Empty? 7 Marines disembark LST at Tinian Island . 8 Bougainville 9 Guam 10 Outside Bastogne 11 German 280mm K5 firing Incredible muzzle blast................ 12 U..S. munitions ship goes up during the invasion of Sicily 13-15 V1 14 Spitfire "tipping-off" a V1. if you've never heard of this insane tactic...
    At first V1's were shot down by gunfire. Optimum range was inside 200yds, which was marginal for survival. Many planes were damaged and quite a few pilots killed. Basically, at such high speed and low altitude a plane
    had to fly though the explosion and hope. With the high risk of being blown up some of the best pilots started tipping the V1's wing, because of damage to wing tips they later developed a tactic of disrupting the airflow
    by placing their wing very close to the V1's wing, causing it to topple.
    Not every pilot did this. At night this was not possible, the flame from the V1 blinded the pilot to everything else, though some Mossie pilots flew past closely in front of the V1, again causing it to topple.
    The thought of doing this at 450mph, 4,000 feet above the ground, at night and being blinded gives me the willies. 16 Panzerkampfwagen VI "E Tiger

27. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

a few more,
    1 Ju 88 loading a torpedo. This is one HUGE bomber... and it's on freaking pontoons! 2 German "KARL" mortars. Sebastopol 3 Reloading a KARL....look at the size of the projectile...... 4 BOOM! 5 Macchi 202v 6 Italian 303 Bombers over N. Africa

28. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

There's a great ongoing thread at the AACA, where the '36 Packard speedster built up by Dick Saunders using an Auburn body was covered very well. This is a good page to start on (you can find more posts before and after that page, but Vintageride's post on that page is a good start). Same car is written about on this thread's post 16594. The car has been on display at Dayton (see photo), but should not be confused with a LeBaron or Darrin. Did anyone win the prize identifying the driver of the Clark Gable '34 LeBaron, fbi?

29. John F

John F

[​IMG]

Operation Crossroads nuke test at Bikini Atoll.

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  30. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

girl and vintage car, simple

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.