Register now to get rid of these ads!

A man can dream can't he? Aluminum & Aussie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by masterdeluxe, May 5, 2011.

1. masterdeluxe

masterdeluxe
    from Wisconsin

Fellas

I've been loving my inline engines for a long time. I had a slant six 225 in my Dodge pickup when I was in High school and I loved it, although I could never afford to make it go fast.

Recently I learned of an early 225 with an aluminum block made between 1961 & 1963. It only weighs 70 lbs less than its iron counterpart but still. Aluminum.

Then I follow a few threads about the Australian Hemi 6 and it being a slant six with a hemi head amde of aluminum. Something about the iron head and alumoinum block stateside sealing comes to mind but still... I dream of inline engines all the time. Has anyone Imported an aussie Hemi 6 head to the US?

I'd like to find an importer from Australia for a few projects of mine. just a dream so far but has anyone succeeded recently?

thanks guys

2. Rok 51

Rok 51

The Australian Hemi 6 cylinder is not a slant 6 engine. Other aussies might have more info for you.

Rocky.

3. George

George

There's a couple pages on it in the Tex Smith Complete hemi book by Ron Ceridono. Aussie car imports & a few others import/export cars & parts between US/Au.

4. GlenC

GlenC

The 'hemi' six, 225, 245, 265ci models, were 1970's Chrysler Australia engines. they were an upright 6, not slant, and as far as I'm aware, cast iron block and head. they had heaps of grunt, and torque, and in some of the 2 door Valiants, had a better power to weight ratio than the V8 fords and Holdens. They also sounded pretty cool...

There was also a smaller Chrysler UK car built in Australia, the Centura, and it was optioned with the 225ci engine. Popping a hot 265 into one of these creates a bit of a monster!

I also believe the 'hemi' moniker was a bit of advertising licence, I don't think it actually had hemispherical combustion chambers.

I'm sure there'll be others with lots more information for you.

Cheers, Glen.

5. You are right Rok51 Aussie Hemi 6 was not a slant was available in 215, 245 & 265 cubic inch varients with two barrel, 4 barrel or triple DCOE side draft webber carbs.

Masterdeluxe I am sure you could find someone willing to ship some goodies to the US

If we can bring stuff from there to Oz, I am sure it can go back as well!

6. Beat me to it Glen! :)

7. Don't wanna be a smart ass but just a little correction.......

The 225 was a slope six (which also came as a 170) this motor was imported built up from the states for the earliest Vals thru to about '67 or '68.
    The 215/245/265 engines were an engineering study designed for Chrysler trucks, which they didn't follow thru with.
    Chrysler Australia was sent one to explore developement as they wanted to replace the 225.
    The hemi tag is a small exageration ...semi hemi would be more correct.

In the 265's ultimate form....the E49 Charger, the Aussies created the fastest production car in the world in it's year of introduction.

8. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

The 225 'slant' 6 is not a HEMI.... But also known as the leaning tower of power here in Oz. A very respected motor!

As 'Amaverick' mentioned, using the term 'HEMI' for the later model 215/245/265 Chrysler 'straight' 6 motors is a bit of an exaguration.

Nevertheless, it's rather semi-hemispherical combustion chamber design undoubtedly created some very competitive power putting the E49 R/T 265 HEMI Chrysler Charger with triple webbers in the same league as the 351 V8 XY GT Fords and the 327 V8 Holden HK Monaros. That specific track pack R/T motor put out 302 Hp out of the factory.

Also, Chrysler AUS worked in close accordance with Chrysler USA for that motor. They also got leading engineers in Italy (Ferrari if I'm not mistaken) to tune the triple webbers.

HC.

9. masterdeluxe

masterdeluxe
    from Wisconsin

About shipping Between AU & USA

Would any of you have a lead on a more modern salvage yard willing to export?

Here's the skinny: I bought a 1998 Ford Taurus Stationwagon for $500 USD, with 270,000 Miles on it. I have a source for a punched out 3.4 liter version of the 3.0 Vulcan from the ford ranger guys. it'll take 21 lb/hr injectors from a 5.0 and the list goes on. I decided to go this route in lieu of a SHO swap over because I wanted to be different, since the SHO wasn't ever produced in Station-wagon form anyway.

I want a front clip from a 1998 Taurus Ghia to convert the car to right hand drive. Ill also need the console and at least the window switches, if not the door panels, the US car has a column shift and e-brake pedal suspended from the dashboard vs the column. also probably brake lines due to MC location, my car is not Anti-lock brake equipped and I assume Australian cars weren't either. Also, need the rear fog lamps.

I know ill pay more in shipping than the cost of parts so the idea of a whole used car comes to mind but then, I assume, there's a new level of bureaucracy like EPA and DOT type red tape.

I also would like to find the 1940 Chevrolet or maybe Holden aero coupe torpedo body and bring it over here. Anyone?

10. George

George

Cars must be @ least 25 yrs old to be permanently imported, less than 25 yrs they must go back, with a big bond posted to ensure reexport.

11. I am a bit lost? Where does the Australian head come in and why do you want to go to all that trouble to convert that car to RHD considering where you are and finally what will I have for breakfast?

Seriously, there are cheap Taurus on Aus Ebay shouldnt be that hard to throw it in a container, get export approval and send it your way. Employing a local customs agent will cost you but could make the whole process a bit easier

My 0.02c

12. RodStRace

RodStRace

OZhemi over on Moparts is the guy to talk to about aussie import/export and has a couple of the straight 6s too!
    [email protected]

For /6 stuff, check out slantsix.org

13. brewster55

brewster55

thats why you take the engine out, and it becomes parts of a car, not a car.

just dont put it back together and get caught.

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

15. masterdeluxe

masterdeluxe
    from Wisconsin

@ Cheif 12
    I want the head for an aluminum slant six 225 Cubic inch motor that I want to build for a future dodge project. The Taurus is just to be different than all the other Taurus owners that have a SHO with a 3.4 V8.

@ everyone else
    Where would I find an old slantback 39 chevy?

16. Oh ok, no worries masterdeluxe,..was a bit confused :)

17. striper

striper

Buy a new Falcon I6 engine. I see they are now up to 310kW. (415 hp)

Pretty good from 250c.i.

18. The Centura never had a Salnt 6.

It was optioned with either a 4 banger, a hemi 245 or a hemi 265. And yes they were'nt really true hemi engines as stated - a semi hemi head.

Rat

19. GTS225

GTS225

The problems with the iron head/aluminum block sealing problems weren't just limited to material differences. The engine was an open deck design, and thus had about 3/8"-1/2" of sealing surface on the tops of the cylinders. Many a head gasket let loose under those conditions, and many an engine was probably cooked because of it. For what it's worth, the aluminum slant is not something you should build up into a performance engine. It can be done, but as the compression builds, so do the odds of blowing the head gasket due to the narrow seal at the head.

As to your idea of mating the Aussie "Hemi" head to the slant six.....that's a no-go. The engines are totally different animals. The Hemi six is longer, and had different spacing cylinder-to-cylinder. BTW.....I don't think the Hemi six had an aluminum head from the factory. I believe the ally head is an Aussie aftermarket item.

Roger

20. hemiphil

hemiphil
    from australia

THE 265 HEMI SIX CAN BE BORED TO 4" AND USE CHEV 350 PISTONS, 275.55 ci, PUT ON A TURBO, MAKES PLENTY OF GRUNT.

21. masterdeluxe

masterdeluxe
    from Wisconsin

Can someone tell me what bolt pattern the semi-hemi 6 has at the bellhousing? Will an A-904 just bolt up with flexplate or will the aussie tranny have to come
    Along for the ride?

Also, the aluminum slant six from 1961-63 is the block im refering to, it came with an Iron head. I dont know if that matters much with the sealing issues but it seemed to be over-cast as it is only 70lbs lighter than an iron counterpart.