Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NEW Identified Harry Westergard Custom 1938 Chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, May 2, 2011.

1. radio_king

radio_king

Pure perfection.And great though tragic history.Hope this thread brings more information on this beauty.Thanks for sharing.

2. Fantastic 37 - damn I love Westergards stuff ! Thanks for the story/pix Rik.

Tragic that Sal was lost at 23 yo - his whole life ahead of him.

Rat

3. Rikster

Rikster

Frank DeRosa'a daughter took some iphone photos of some of the photos here father has of this 1938 Chevy. The quality is not very good... but better scans will come in time.
    I now also realize this started out as a 1938 Chevy, not a 1937 Chevy as I first stated.

Sal's 1938 Chevy before the serious work was started. It already have Spotlights and Skirts, and what looks like Custom Hubcaps as well... photo from 1946.

[​IMG]

Sal sitting on the fender of his 1938 Chevy customized by Harry Westergard in 1947.

[​IMG]

And sitting on the rear bumper with a friend.

[​IMG]

Thank you Gina for sending these fantastic photos.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  4. Great pictures to add to this stunning custom story,thanks Gina and thanks Rik for posting.

5. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, more photos of Sal's car, this is great! I wonder if DeRosa has more photos of unknown Westergard cars in his collection?

6. Rikster

Rikster

Gina is going to scan some photos from Franks collection next week. I will post them when I get them.

7. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Awesome...I can't wait!!:cool:

8. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Sweet :) Can't wait to see them all!!

9. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Sad story, but a beautiful car.
    The car has almost lost its identity as a Chevy except for the side crease.
    Funny thing is, I never liked the crease on those models; it always seemed to distract the eye. Yet here it works because of the changed proportions of the top and fender line/headlight bucket.

10. voodooblackcat

voodooblackcat
    from Pacheco

What a beautiful car, would love to see this car found. I was wondering if the cemetary where the picture was taken is in the Pittsburg, Oakley area as I would like to visit there and show my respects.

11. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Beautiful custom. Westergard was a master craftsmen.sad ending, I am
    Sure if this young man had been alive other great customs would have come from his garage

12. built2grind

built2grind

are we trying to improve on it or just preserving what was so great back then by copying it ? the words "traditional custom" means just that. Hope someone on here finds out the outcome of that work of art. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

13. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

Rik my scanner has died and there's no bringin it back to life. Got to invest in another. I'll see what I can do to get the pictures scanned. He has TONS of pictures of many customs from all eras. Glad he was able to come through...

Gina

14. I wish many people would take that statement to heart!