Register now to get rid of these ads!

Derek's 1950 ford coupe shoebox build and introduction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Batidor del mono, May 5, 2011.

1. Nice progress mate, we are moving back to your area in a week so there will be more hands on deck soon brother.
    Thats great that it passed RWC already, now we can see it lower, next meet maybe?

Kyle

2. hey kyle, yeah thats cool that your back soon, you'll be at most club meets now which is cool, yeah more hand the merrier, i might run out work to do on it soon and we'll all get carried away and start welding shit up and stuff who knows, yeah rego on thurs morning which mean blocks in and front coils cut a bit thurs night, untill i get dropped spindles anway. which i may have to put some magic beans aside for in the next couple weeks, i want it to drag tail for a little bit anyway ha ha
    cheers

3. indicators are all working and polished a bit more chrome and shit for now, will have to continue tonight wet rubbing boot lid and stuff to match the rest of the car now. will put up some more pics when i do some more progress.

4. diamondwillo

diamondwillo
    from Melbourne

nice work des ray! She's comin along real nice. I'll be moving back soon too, so even more hands on deck. And don't worry, when you run out of things to do on your's, you can all come out and do some work on my coupe, nooo problemo!

5. Oh old willo of the chippity chop chop magazine and te Eldorados of so muc.
    The naked uku player, oh man so many hands on deck, yeah I'll come out and give u a hand putting a axe through the side of the A. Ha ha na will be cool when u and Kyle are back in town. Then the club meets will be regular as and heaps of froffies down the theatre before club meets.
    We'll be out cruisin nooo probleeeemo.
    Cruisin for a bit of clunge. Ha ha.

6. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Your car looks great. I just love looking at shoeboxs. I have a 50 and 51. I sold my 49 three years ago. Just couldn't do another rebuild.

7. Thanks, I'm pretty happy withthe car, yeah mate I could sit on the hamb all day and just look at everyones differet shoes. Yeah I wanna have fun withthis for a while and thendo a total rebuild and do everything on the car real nice.
    Cheers

8. Deu55

Deu55

Hey that's one fine single spinner, looking real nice with the work you have done.Would love to have a nice big shed like yours,lots of room to work....Rod.

9. haha it aint a massive shed but with one car in it theres heaps of room its great, cheers

10. made the bonnet match the rest of the car now, only problem it lost all shine after a couple days, looks kinda cool now though its all gone a patchy satin look,

Attached Files:

11. while the bonnet was off i decided to clean up the engine bay a bit and shine up the cowl panel, it came up really really nice wish the whole car looked like this, also my triple 97's rocked up in the post, going to rebuild them soon and make them look new, i think im going to jet them down so that i can possibly run all three at once cause i really like the linkage that came with them, there going on an old fenton intake that my buddy Ryan Ford of kustom linez was nice enough to part with, that will be fully polished.
    has anyone jetted these down, i have read a bit about jet sizes on here, just curious what size works well, for all i know this is a rebuilt stocker and 3 carbs is way over carb'd for this. but i want the look and sound of triples.
    they came equiped with a couple spiders (still alive) all the way from the states for $233 aus dollars, thank god for ebay.

Attached Files:

12. i cleaned and polished the side stainless for a bit better presentation while its at vic roads for rego on thurs, and thanks to a couple text messages from Shannon Cato i have some 4 inch blocks ready to throw in as soon as i get back from registration. he said 3's which is probably smart but they only had 4's and i couldnt help myself.
    a couple coils in the front till i pick up some drop spindles while im in the states and chuck em in my bag to bring home should do.

Attached Files:

13. Nice shoebox, congratulations and great to see such enthusiasm for the build. I envy that!

You are lucky with the spiders, when my car came in last month - they found my new "pets" and charged me $900 to send them on to the next life,...I would have prefered the $900 to go towards a nice set of triples!!

Look forward to seeing the next updates and photos,.. of car and BBQ's,...

14. Very nice spinner indeed. Seems you scored! Certainly cleaning up nicely.

As for the carbs, three on a stock flatty is overkill. If anything I'd block the centre carb off (rebuild it though and keep it as a manifold mounted spare in case of emergencies :D ). I've got twin 94's on my stock flatty running 42 sized jets with 3.5 power valves from memory and they aren't too bad. Not quite sure on 97's if they'd be similar setup wise though nver had any to tinker with.

15. ha ha, yeah the spiders were a nice surprise,
    cheers mate thanks

16. hey cheers,
    yeah the carbs are a bit of overkill, i have thought about other options like progressive linkage, running just the two outers, i will deffinately rebuild all 3 but i will have to read up quite a bit and see what people have done running triples jet wise,
    it runs so nicely now, i tunes it all up and its great i really dont wanna ruin a nice running engine buy over carbing it but i really also want them on there they look too good all sitting on the manifold.
    what size thickness plate did u use and did u space the other two up as well so they all equal the same height or is it that thin that you cant notice it.
    cheers
    des

17. I've only got a twin carb manifold. But a flat piece of panel steel with gaskests either side would probably be enough to block the centre carb off. So long as it seals alls good.

I had your dilemma, mine ran a single carb for years and it was brilliant. Finally bit the bullet and put it all on, should have done it along time ago. Do some research and see what others have run set up wise. Well worth the effort.

Pre fitting just after a rebuild.
    [​IMG]

And on the car...
    [​IMG]

18. rockabilly jacob

rockabilly jacob

Hey im from South Australia, I Love the car!
    Sounds awesome what you have planned to do with it as well!!
    Keep postin'!

19. Looking good dez! even better now it's got plates and lowered.

20. hey mate, thanks, yeah i was thinking just cutting some panel steel exactly like u said and would still be fine with the other two running, i will probably still run a fuel line to it so its not obviously a dummy.
    should look good but its going to be a fair amount of work to get this all polished up but i wanna do it so looks like ill be sitting out in the shed by the fire and sanding and polishing for a few long nights.
    your A looks neat, cool car.
    i want to build a 30 coupe or roadster in the next couple of years
    cheers
    des

21. hey buddy, thanks, even though we were driving around in it the other day with the wolfman, doin high speed flatty runs up the back streets of the stead.
    thanks again for the manifold should look cool on the car.

22. hey man cheers.
    thanks alot, yeah i like the thread thing and people looking at what your doin and helping you out with shit and advice.
    keep watching.

23. set the points gap and timing, tuned the carb a bit better, bonnet back on and went to chicken williams shed for a beer, chicken and his old man are right into old bikes, they both own harleys, chickens is a 60's sportster and is building a honda 4 chopper, pretty cool, whicle he waits for his 53 olds to come from the states.
    just thought id show you ow many bikes there jamming into there little shed, as we had a beer by there fire listening to chain on vinyl, they discussed the options for there new shed and the size and im thinking, yeah good idea, chicken is going to have a big long ass olds and there aint a hope of even getting on fender off to fit in the shed.
    nice pose on chicken and it wasnt even on purpose.

24. a few pics

Attached Files:

25. heres my new manifold and carbs, only really learning alot abut flatheads now so not sure what happens with your draft tube and oil filler tube, but man it looks cool, if this manifold will work ill have to polish it all and rebuild the carbs. so cool.

Attached Files:

26. well i got the spinner registered this morning, a little bit of trouble with the douche bags at vic roads, deciding they were gunna play captain road worthy instead of just putting the numbers into the computer, taking my money and giving me pates, but after a short trip to bursons and put in a dodgy $3 battery clamp, they gave me the plates and i went straight down to the post office were my lowering blocks were just sitting waiting to jump in.
    this is temperary till i possibly bag it one day, i say that now but i'll probably just drive the thing and not do them.
    the backs down ran outta time to do the front that will happen tomorrow morning,and im off to the states in 6 weeks so i think ill just grab the drop spindles when im there and throw them in my bag, along with some other cool shit.
    heres some before and after shots, i really like tail draggin sleds so it will always have a bit of reverse rake.

Attached Files:

27. if anyone wants to buy these tyres pm me, they are 205/75/25 coker classic wide white radials,
    they are brand new apart from the little bit of driving i hve done on them, the car had new tyres, caps, and dress rings on it.
    or text message me, 0402559056 Des,
    i want to sell them to fund some new firestone bias plies.

28. Deu55

Deu55

Derek that manifold and carb's are gunna look real sweet on the spinner. Love the way it's sitting now..Rod..

29. just a couple of pics in castlemaine off the iphone.

Attached Files:

30. thanks rod, yeah she's starting to look a bit cooler.
    its all good fun and being able to drive it around now aswell is great.