Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there any saving this cylinder?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rld14, May 6, 2011.

1. rld14

rld14

Well I got my stolen Vauxhall back last Friday, BIG thanks to racinman Rick! Anyways the motor is stuck, so I yanked the head.

Oh shit.

[​IMG]

This is the bad one. Pitting doesn't look that bad. Parts for this engine are quasi-unobtanium. I'm wondering if I soak it in evaporust and put it all back together how stupid an idea it is?

I'd rather not get into sleeving and custom rings at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

2. I'm getting a red X

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Attached Files:

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

5. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Ditto the red x just as I typed this there it was

6. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

You really should run a hone down it first, try a course sand paper than a hone, this way you can see what you're working with, worst case sleeve it, if it's not a easy to find block

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

you probably can save it..but im sure its going to take boring it out some

its really hard to tell until you start digging into it..start with a hone, if that dont clean it up to being pit-less..than boring it out 10..20 or maybe 30 thou..may get it

8. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

get yourself a Sunnen CK 100, that'll fix it...

9. EEEEEEWWWWW ! ! I hate it when that happens.

Hows the rest of them? I don't think that's going to buff out with a hone.
    So options are, have the entire block bored, and oversized pistons and rings.
    Sleeve the worst, hone the rest and stock size pistons and rings.
    Different block.

Depends on the rest, if its all good, then sleeve it, new rings for every one and off you go.

10. 61bone

61bone

Bore it till you hit water, then bore it some more and sleeve it back to standard.

11. I guess I'm missingf something but why would you do that with a vauxall.

Get yourself a scotchbrite pad and after cleaning it and drying it a little bit go after it with the scotchbrite. Then once you get it cleaned up pass a rough hone through it.

Tnen take another pic and lets see what you got.

12. rld14

rld14

Thanks! And thanks for posting the pic!

Problem I have is twofold. First, engine parts are basically unobtanium and also if I'm going to build an engine I have a core 2.6 out of a 61-62 that I can use, almost 40% more power right from the start that way.

I'll try and get some evaporust in it over the weekend, should have an update on Monday or so. Really would be nice to have it on the road at least running semi OK for this summer.

Bill

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If I were a betting man, I would say you are screwed. Cant say for certain until its cleaned up, but I would bet that is HEAVILY pitted. I would get prepared to either bore it, or move on.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't know about Evaporust. Some 50 grit is where I would start. Clean it up as best you can and try it. It won't get worse.

15. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

Soak it clean up the cylinder with a hone.Take the piston out and free up the rings without breaking them,reassemble and drive it.I have seen a lot worse run fine with a little work and no parts at all.You may be surprised.Good Luck.

16. nofin

nofin
    from australia

If that is the canadian 138 cube I6, OHV 4 main bearing crank, then you might be able to get parts from Australia. I'm pretty sure it's the same engine as the standard engine in Holdens from 1948-63, known as the "grey motor", and there's still a lot around.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  17. 1rustyhighcab

1rustyhighcab

use a dingle-ball hone and pb blaster. I bet it will come out ok.

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Sounds like the 2.6 is the answer, with 40% more power right off the bat. Unobtanium parts tend to create a real thin space between the sides of the wallet.

19. dbradley

dbradley

If the 2.6 is a direct swap, I'd already have it in there.............

20. The cylinder/cylinders might only be one half of your problems. Before making ANY decision, I'd take the engine COMPLETELY apart to check and Mic all of the parts. Then you can make a real educated decision. Like most everyone stated, you need to rough hone the cylinders, and then measure. Any chance the pistons are forged? I'm guessing cast, but you never know. What is the material used in the rings, I'm quessing cast iron. Do you have a service manual with recommended piston to wall clearances? With the quasi-unobtanium status, I couldnt make any educated recommendation other than a complete disassembly. TR

21. That's picture just TOO funny.

22. rld14

rld14

Well here's a bit of an update... I did give the cylinder a light scuff with the gentlest scotch-brite I could find and then soaked them in Evapo Rust..

Results are almost shocking!

[​IMG]

The walls came up really nice and smooth, there's still some crud where the piston meets the cylinder that I worked on a bit and am re-soaking in the Evapo Rust, this stuff is really damned impressive.

I have engine specs coming from a friend of mine, I'm also going to buy the running 2.6 regardless, I need it for my 62 if nothing else. Besides, Vauxhall parts are unobtanium and having a backup engine isn't exactly a stupid idea.

Worst case I'll rebuild it, best case it'll run ok... right?

23. rld14

rld14

Totally different engine, during this same period you had Opel, Vauxhall, Holden and GM US all building different straight 6s. This basic engine came out in later E series Velox and Cresta Models (1954 IIRC) and continued into the 70s in the FE series Ventora.

2262cc up to 60, then 2651 till 64 and from 65 it was a 3.3

24. SimonSez

SimonSez

There is a bit of Vauxhall stuff still around here in NZ as they were sold new here and were reasonably common.

I'll keep an eye open for any engine parts and let you know if anything interesting comes up.

25. toddc

toddc

26. rld14

rld14

Todd,

Ha! I saw those pistons earlier.. Thanks for posting them but they're too small.

I have been doing some intensive googling tonight and found that Rings and Pistons may be out there. I watch eBay AU, did find one thing not long ago that I needed but seller refused to post outside Australia :(

Simon,

Thanks! If ya come across any PA stuff keep me in mind...

27. rld14

rld14

Not looking good... Been soaking the engine in Kroil for a week, #1 and #2 have drained, but #s 3, 4, 5 and 6 are still frozen and I can't get it to turn :(

Looks like this is gonna be a full rebuild... plus 3 cylinders have pits on the walls.