Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neutral safety switch question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, May 5, 2011.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I have a th350 and a gennie shifter that has the neutral safety switch on the side. Will it only start in neutral? I want it to start in park as well. ???????
    What am I missing?

2. old_skool_1953

old_skool_1953

It will start in both neutral and park. The switch is simply a safety measure which keeps the car from starting in gear. You will be good to go.

3. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I still don't quite understand how because the switch plunger is only pushed in with the lever in the neutral position. ??

4. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

If it will only start in Neutral you have to adjust it. As said before it should start in both. If it is not wired yet and you want to ensure it is set up right, you can use a multi-meter set to Ohms. You should see continuity through the switch in both Park and Neutral.

5. Roadsterpu is absolutely correct. Adjust your switch with the aid of the ohm meter.

6. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Here is how the switch is adjusted

The Neutral Safety Switch is threaded into the base of each shifter. To adjust the switch, either thread it closer to the bottom of the shift stick or space it out slightly, so that the vehicle starts only in neutral and park.

7. Remove your wire from the start position of your ignition switch going to the S terminal on the starter solenoid. Put that wire onto one side of your nuetral safety switch, and the other side will go back onto the S terminal of the starter solenoid.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The instructions are here http://www.gennieshifter.com/instructions-TH350shifter.php and it looks like you might not have the shifter it's self adjusted quite right. You have to adjust the linkage so that the detents are in the correct spots and then the neutral switch should work ok in both park and neutral.

9. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

I know this is an old thread. I had a problem with the neutral safety switch on my genie shifter and the answer was not posted anywhere and I thought I may save someone else the same issue.
    There is a 5/16 inch hole drilled in the side of the T post that must align with the ball of the nss when the shifter is in reverse. It is a very fine line to get it just right. The hole is not really visible so it's easy to overlook.

pprather and TrailerTrashToo like this.