Register now to get rid of these ads!

440 balancer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chieftec160, May 2, 2011.

1. Chieftec160

Chieftec160

Hi, I got a problem with my 70' 440 engine! Should I get a OEM or an aftermarket balancer?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

What's wrong with that one?

If it was me and I *had* to replace the balancer, I'd bite the bullet and get a new aftermarket unit.

3. Polara Pat

Polara Pat

If the hub is separating from the body (which we probably couldn't see) then it's definitely replacement time. If you're just driving on the street then I would go with an oem unit. If we we're neighbors I'd give you one but shipping heavy chunks stateside is ludicrous.

4. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I wouldnt worry about it unless you are racing it.

5. 73RR

73RR

First, why do you think you have a problem? The pics show a 'vintage' setup but the pics do not show that the rubber is terrible, or that the outer ring is moving. If you suspect that the ring has changed position then put a couple paint marks on it to verify.
    Yes, ebay vendors have new pieces at decent prices. Cheap insurance and peace of mind.

6. terryble

terryble
    from canada

440s of that era may have steel or cast cranks they use different balancers if you put on the wrong one for your crank it will vibrate bad. If I remember correctly performance cars had steel cranks and New Yorkers and Imperials had cast.

7. 1972 and up 383-400 uses a cast crank, 440's started using them in 1972, but a four speed car used a forged one. Some 73's had forged cranks, but after that it was all cast iron until the end in 78.

The pics clearly show a steel crank balancer.

The cast 440 balancer looks like this
    [​IMG]

8. Chieftec160

Chieftec160

Nothing other than metal pieces flying away now and then.

I think I'll go with this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-163383/?image=large

9. Yeah, it's showing signs of deterioration and it's time to change it out. Do they salt the roads there in the winter time?

10. Chieftec160

Chieftec160

Yes they salt the roads here, but I don't drive it in the winter.Why?

11. tig master

tig master
    from up north