Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help Designing Hot Rod Garage Apartment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ATX, Apr 30, 2011.

1. ATX

ATX
    from Austin, TX

For a few years I have been day dreaming about building an oversized garage with an apartment above it. The time has come to zero in on a design and begin construction. I am thinking roughly 24' wide by 30' deep with an apartment above. The apartment will have a balcony that extends over the garage doors to create a shallow carport. The siding and roof will probably be metal due to a tight budget. The plan is to make this place look like it was born for hot rods...do you guys have any cool pictures and/or ideas to help brainstorm?

Thank you all in advance!

2. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

I used commercial glass doors like you used to see on old gas stations. They are a little spendy but give the shop that vintage look and looks great if you have some old gas/oil signs on the walls.

3. ATX

ATX
    from Austin, TX

thanks for the reply. do you have any pictures of your commercial doors?

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

personally, i would skip the big window doors... the thought of someone being able to stand there, inventory my stuff and then bust the glass with a hammer is a 12.8 on the 0-10 sphincter pucker scale

might look like a 60's era station, but FAIL

5. Try searching & posting on The Garage Journal (see link at bottom of the page)

Lots of great pictures and ideas there.

6. cheveey57

cheveey57

Why build the apartment above it? Seems to me you would get all the fumes in your apartment.......................

7. VINNIE JAMES

VINNIE JAMES

i want one too. ive looked some up and found a few cool design plans on line.

this is boat shop in cape may,nj

Attached Files:

8. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

9. Build something that has some aesthetics even of you have to eat mac and cheese for the next 10 years. You will never regret it when it comes time to sell it. Don't put in too any garage doors that it makes it look odd. Maybe build a 2 car garage but make it deeper so you can place a 3rd car parallel with the back wall.

There is a whole neighborhood of garage apartments near me-they were built in the 30's and have that bungalow look. Too bad they are in the roughest part of town.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  10. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

I have security film on all the glass that cant be busted out easy, A 1950 US navy submarine siren that will blow so loud it will make you dizzy if you break in. Not to mention a large German sheppard that will rip your ass up if your brave enough to open my front gate. My shop is not visable from the road anyhow. Pucker scale ? what is that ? something gay ?

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I was going to do what you were suggesting ,Till I got shorted on my loan,Make pocket closets that can be extended out the back ,Deck Another great idea and steps on side yard leading up to apartment ,Nothing in garage ,Insulate from fumes with plastic ,Insulation and sheetrock ,Garage should have no windows,Reason being summer time acts as a cooker and put a real roof on it ,Do it once and do it right

12. OLLIN

OLLIN

sounds cool, shoot me a pm! do you have the land already?

13. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

You can get those glass garage doors frosted so you can't see in. And yes they look very, very cool.

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

ever barely avoided an accident that was soooooo freekin scary that you had to go see a proctologist to have him pull the seat out of your ass, then you know what a "sphincter pucker scale" is.

the more risky the event or activity is, the higher the "pucker factor" becomes... the easier you can talk yourself into engaging in such activities means you have a high "balls to pucker ratio"

in a nutshell, no. it aint gay. its just funny.

remember, the angle of your dangle is equal to the sum of the swing in your thing, but has no correlation to the heat of her meat.

i'm sorry, but i'm in one of them kinda moods today.

:eek:

15. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yea, i haddnt thought about security glass like you see in industrial glass passage doors... you know, the "chicken wire" embedded in glass. good point

16. LabRat

LabRat

17. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Let's see if this works...I posted these over on the Garage Journal board some time ago, they're illustrations from one of my dad's textbooks from when he was in college in the early 1930s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

The security glass I was talking about is a clear film that is installed after the doors are installed. Its hard to explain, The glass if smashed wont shatter and explode in a million pieces, Like a front windshield of a car if that helps.

19. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

no no... soon as you mentioned the film i had an idea what you were talking about... it just reminded me of the chicken wire windows is all :cool:

20. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

A few thoughts: inside stair for those nasty days, make the balcony/carport big enough and set up structurally to allow it to be enclosed underneath in the future and consider a full height storage wall along one side of the garage area.

21. ATX

ATX
    from Austin, TX

Thank you guys very much for the helpful advice, pictures, and plans! I had never heard of the garage journal....what a great site! I have spent a lot of time in the past day looking through the threads. if anyone has any further insight please share...

22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My shop is 40 X 30 with a 300 sq ft mezzanine for storage and a small office across the back. When I think about that, my gut tells me that your plans for 24 x 30 would be so small as to be completely impractical. What would you do for storage, for both your car stuff and personal stuff? You will run out of room the day you move in. I had to go back and read your initial post twice to make sure you said 24 x 30. Please reconsider the size.

23. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

just a quick side note as you mention you had not heard of the garage journal...

Ryan has a couple of great sites full of information...

Gear journal, Garage journal, Jockey journal and Ford Barn.

24. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

This is the place my dad built many years ago. I think I have the plans he drew up for it somewhere around here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. ATX

ATX
    from Austin, TX

Hey Guys,

All of this information is excellent! Please keep sending ideas and pictures...

26. yblock292

yblock292

FYI, i got pretty serious about one a couple of years ago, the builder told me before i pull the trigger to look into insurance. My company would not insure " got cars with gas in your house". Told me if i could find some one to insure it would cost a mint. Dropped the idea.

27. I've beeb thinkin about something simmial too. Id go 30x30 ath the smallest. I was thinking 24x48 but all one leval.

28. Building width of 24' is much simpler and cheaper than building 30' wide. At 30' beams , or bearing walls, or heavier materials needed to span the distance. Keep that in mind.
    It may suit your needs better to have those?
    I like the chipolte decor flavor.
    Also whatever you think is adequate size, build it bigger.

29. ATX

ATX
    from Austin, TX

yblock292 - I have considered just what you're saying. However, a very popular floor plan in Austin is the three store townhouse/condo with a garage underneath it. I am going to get in touch with my contact at the city today and as well my insurance company. I really appreciate you stressing the issue.

31Vicky - very good point regarding the 24' width. I am not thinking 24' wide x 35' deep. Very good point out regarding chipotle...that's a look that I really like but I couldn't put my finger on a reference as concentrated as chipotle.

Thank you guys very much - please keep it coming...