Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT-Good BBQ in Austin?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dreamweaver, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Myself and my family shall be in Austin the first weekend in May for a wedding and I want to try out the best Austin has to offer in the way of BBQ.

Our hotel is on Congress so maybe in that area tho I will travel for the good stuff:)

Any suggestions/preferences?

2. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

When I was there last there was a BBQ/ gas station that was real good............Rubys maybe???

3. your talking about Rudys, if you want some really good BBQ head south to Lockhart TX

4. 02lowrider

02lowrider
    from Round Rock

Lance-Speed...I think you're referring to Rudy's...Sounds like it at least.. They have a sign that says "Worst BBQ in Texas." Dreamweaver- If you're gonna be on Congress..Also try Guero's Taco Bar (on Congress) and if you need a trim...The Avenue Barber Shop is also on Congress. As far as BBQ..There is a "County Line" BBQ that a lot of people like...I personally like POK _E_Joes. Also, Stubb's on 8th St..It's also a music venue. It's all about preference..They're all good! Safe travels and enjoy!

5. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

6. 53choptop

53choptop

^^ beat me to it.

But personally, I absolutely love Blacks in Lockhart, TX.

http://www.blacksbbq.com/

I know its a bit of a drive but worth it in my opinion.

7. JJK

JJK

Franklins BBQ is hands down the best, get there early they sell out before 1pm most days.

8. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Hey now, don't forget about the awesome BBQ in Taylor TX

9. geemann51

geemann51

10. mrrich

mrrich
    from seattle

Stubbs is good but I don't know if they still exist

11. JJK

JJK

It's still here

12. Abomination

Abomination

Last I was there, I went to Stubb's. It was so bad I didn't eat BBQ for the rest of the summer. And I'm from Kansas City - it's kind of hard not to.

~Jason

13. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Can't forget Bill Miller's, or can you? ;)

14. Keep em coming guys, my mouth is starting to water already.

Being as how the wife will be out with the girls Friday night, am I correct in assuming that my sons and I should grab a few beers at the Continental Club that night?

15. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Smitty's in Lockhart. That is all.

16. jmcdaniel

jmcdaniel

The best BBQ down around Austin has to be the Saltlick in Driftwood, Texas. If any of you HAMBers have been there when you are at the Roundup, then you would agree.

17. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

You should "meat" up with The Meatheads, I think that they go to lunch on Fridays and it works it's way into late afternoon sessions of eating meat.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

First post and it's about BBQ, damn dude seriously do an intro... and rat pickups? wtf? :eek:

19. JOHNNY ARMIJO

JOHNNY ARMIJO

stubbs is good also saltlick if you wanna go a little out of austin

20. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

I have lived here 17 years now, and Stubbs is at the bottom of the list. Don't waste your time.

21. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

Salt lick! Cash only

22. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Steer clear of that joit. Is there one still open?
    Rudy's is OK for a chain type place. Ruby's just off of Guadalupe is good, it is local and lots of the old blues guys used to go there when Antone's was up there. Salt Lick, County Line, and a few places in Lockhart.
    There is WAY better tex-mex than Guero's, which is more of a touristy kinda joint. Maudies's, Nuevo Leon, Torchy's Tacos.

23. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

This debate has been posted on here so many times...its funny to be a local and see all the responses. Yes, Salt Lick is a beautiful place and a beautiful drive. But, cmon, the Q is average. Bill Miller is THE worst in Austin, hands down. Rubys is one of my longtime personal faves, Rudys is consistently good for a chain, and recently Franklins has opened up where Longbranch BBQ used to be. Gotta say, Franklins easily lived up to all the hype I heard about it. Theres also a place called Manns thats pretty damn good. And as far as tex-mex is concerned, Guerros is the most over-rated, tourist trap in town.

24. For tex-mex we usually stop at Baby A's when we are in town.

25. GREASER815

GREASER815

Grew up in Austin, been to the Saltlick...what else can I say! It is the best you will find, all you can eat, nice and relaxed, can't be beat. You will not be able to wait to get there again.

26. Texas Cookin' um um good! Savin this for th e next trip.

27. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Relatively speaking, is there any such thing as a bad BBQ in Texas? ;)

28. 02lowrider

02lowrider
    from Round Rock

Absolutely! Another Cool place is The Mean Eyed Cat on 5th St.. Nothing but Johnny Cash on the walls and a jukebox with mostly Cash.

29. 02lowrider

02lowrider
    from Round Rock

And it's amazing how much controversy can be stirred by a simple post! As far as "Tex Mex" food, anything North of Falfurrias won't cut the mustard...unless the owners are from South Texas or Mexico.