Register now to get rid of these ads!

Junk yards for old cars in Missouri?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfalconn2o, Apr 28, 2011.

1. tfalconn2o

tfalconn2o

Just wondering if anyone knew of any good junk yarsd for old cars or if they knew of any properties that had old cars on them just rotting away. Im particularly looking for 1938-1939 ford cars.

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Anyone who knows, isn't telling.

3. Abomination

Abomination

Dude - check THIS out:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247495

Lorenz Service
    "Older Cars & Parts"
    One half mile northeast of Corder
    Bus phone 1-660-394-2423
    Res phone 1-660-394-2612

Highway 20
    Corder, Missouri
    Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...&fb=1&cid=3446780913447758284&li=lmd&z=14&t=m

[​IMG]

Old cars are home to memories

Story and photographs by Tom Strongman

CORDER, Mo. — Lorenz Service sits just a half-mile east of Corder on Missouri 20, the highway that runs on the northern edge of this small town north and east of Higginsville.

Greg Lorenz, the owner, hands me his business card. It reads, “Older Cars and Parts.” Some 500 cars and a few trucks sit next to the garage on neatly mown grass, waiting for someone to pick up a fender, a hood or a piece of chrome trim for a restoration project.

Greg’s father and mother, Bud and Bert, bought this place in 1955. Greg and his dad worked together until his dad died in 2001. Bert has kept the books for 60 years and still does.

“We’ve all been car people,” Greg said. “One of my brothers worked at the General Motors plant and one brother is a car salesman in Concordia, Mo.”

While visiting Greg I mentioned that my father-in-law’s uncle, Harvey See, grew up in Corder. Greg chuckled and pointed to a rusty light-blue Studebaker sitting in the far corner of the yard. It had been Harvey See’s car.

When I sent a photo of Harvey See’s car to his grandson, Ed See of Warrensburg, it unleashed a number of family memories.

Ed wrote: “When grandpa owned the Studebaker it was red. Otherwise, it is just as I remember it. He bought it sometime after my grandmother Maude died. He loaned it to me while my car was being repaired or something. I think it was the only Studebaker he ever owned.”

Harvey See has bad hearing, and his little dog, Tuffy, was his constant companion. For years Tuffy rode beside him in the Studebaker as a second set of ears.

Ed’s sister, Judy Helm of Odessa, said that Harvey See stayed with her family for a while and she often drove his car to school. A tiny hula dancer was stuck to the dash. The knob on the steering wheel had a picture of a girl in a bathing suit. A little dog statue with a bobbing head rode in the back window.

“These things were quite the conversation piece as my friends and I drove up and down the streets of Odessa,” she wrote in an e-mail.

Those few stories are about just one car in Lorenz’ yard. Imagine how many the other 499 could tell.

As I drove out of Corder, I passed the town cemetery just a mile or so west of town on Missouri 20. The neat rows of headstones reminded me of the old cars resting just up the road at Lorenz’s place. Each has its story.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  4. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

There's a 38 std coupe north of Lincoln Nebraska that I looked at a couple of weeks ago. Pretty decent project that would not take a lot of work.

5. Abomination

Abomination

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Great story, Abomination! Any more photos of Lorenz? VERY nicely kept yard!!!

7. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

8. Abomination

Abomination

Somebody posted a Google Maps satellite view here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247495

But that's it. I'm passing it tomorrow, on the way from KC to Southern MO to go mushroom hunting with the in-laws. I'd love to stop so Pinch , the kids and I can take pictures. I called though, and like most places, they won't let kids in.

So no pics, guys... this time, anyway.

~Jason

9. Abomination

Abomination

Probably like Swanson's or something like that?

~Jason

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I used to go to Fenton Auto Salvage off of Hwy 30. Don't know if they're still around. Many fond memories of that place.

11. Abomination

Abomination

12. My mother lives in the outskirts of Macon Missouri. Her boyfriend is finding old cars all the time out there.

13. hartmankustomz

hartmankustomz

J&M vintage was a good one in Goodman Mo. I bought my first car there a 62 Olds. They had good stuff, anything from 50 Mercs to 57 Buicks. Owner got sick and they crushed eveything, a total loss. However i heard hes doing better and slowly reopening a vintage salvage yard. Located about 30 miles south of Joplin off 71 hwy.

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

15. Besides Kentucky, MO probably has the most "abandoned" vehicles I have seen in my travels. Go the back roads and they are behind every building and house. Do some rubber necking, have your S.O. drive.....

16. Abomination

Abomination

17. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Yep

18. BeyerAutoSalvage

BeyerAutoSalvage
    from Trenton FL

Not really trying to plug my own business, but we have about 100 classics in North Florida, and bring more in from North Dakota every year- the upper Midwest is LOADED especially if you are into trucks.