Register now to get rid of these ads!

Other types of racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty76, Apr 25, 2011.

1. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

For years I've been intrigued by landspeed racing. I grew up in the land of NASCAR but landspeed racing has been racing through my blood. Then a few years ago I got interrested in other forms of racing that are more than just going straight. I discovered hill climbs which looks fun and dangerous. Then there's cannonball run and one lap of America. I'm curious as to how many of you guys compete in those type of racing venues? Do you do it in a vintage car? I want to see something else besides the same ole same. What about Pan American stuff? Maybe Baja? Let's see what ya got and what ya do. Thanks.

2. Cshabang

Cshabang

Ive drag and landspeed raced..Ive been to Hillclimbs and mud "bogs"...Just last week I got to sit shotgun for some hot laps at Limerock here in CT...It was so freakin fun I may build a spec car just to have an excuse to road race haha.

3. firingorder1

firingorder1

I started out desert racing and some motocross here in SoCal. Went to Ireland in the 60s and went road racing, sprinting, hill climbing and anything else that looked like fun. The years have passed and now its LSR. At my age its plenty enough fun.

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I spent nearly 40 years building, and driving: Road Racing, Auto-X ing, and Road Rallys cars. Then I took up watching NASCAR , building hotrods and listening to country Music.

5. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Must be a few more of ya out there.

6. I do vintage/historic car racing, mostly on road courses, with an old dirt car.:eek: But, I get after 'um:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Retrorod

Retrorod

I love that car Old Dawg!!!!!...looks like more fun than the law allows.

I got to do "hot laps" at the old Palmdale, CA. LACR track before they closed it down. That was fun making run after run after run in my '35 sedan. I made 18 passes that day. I'd like to run up Pikes Peak in my sedan some day. That's the last thing left un-done on my "bucket-list".

8. rodknocker

rodknocker

9. Marcia

Marcia

Drag racing and land speed racing.

I think that silver state challenge looks interesting, though. Anyone tried that?

10. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

sand drags& hill climb, go-kart, auto cross

11. bob308

bob308

drag racing from mod. production to a fuel. dirt racing. worked on some road race cars. ran my old vette on some courses laid out on parking lots. even tried class c flat track with a norton p11.

12. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Heres one for you. Its a dirt super late model. It runs around a 1/4 mile dirt track in about 13 seconds in a full power slide. Its a wild ride not for the faint hearted.

Attached Files:

13. Dirt Modified, 16.5 secs around a 3/8 mile track, SCCA, drag, asphalt oval track, quad racing in the snow in MI, battery powered puller trucks on the drive on lift, downhill bike races, grocery carts, you name it....

14. Not HAMB traditional but we call it vintage...[​IMG]

15. If you go out to AAA Speedway this weekend, you will have the opportunity to drive that '35 "seedan" 'round the two mile oval. I don't know how fast they'll let you go.:eek:

I'll be running with the Historic Indy/Champ Car Association exhibitions. Mine will be geared (4.11) to do about 120 m.p.h. Some of the later cars will be doing close, or over 200 m.p.h. down the back straight.:eek:

[​IMG]

16. open wheeled modifieds, then a couple years behind the wheel of a winged sprint. nothing like sliding up the cushion in turn four, finding some bite and pulling a wheelie down the front straight.

17. Ive always wanted to do Pikes Peak or a figure 8 run. Both of those would be pretty fun IMO.

18. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

I know some guys that do a vintage C2C run.

19. Some time with these - me to the left of front wheel on blank car the day we finished it
    Scott Speeds car at Sears Point - he drove we watched/ fixed

Attached Files:

20. I'm going to be driving it this year. Coast to coast. Sea to sea. (C2C) ;)
    From NY to CA, just like that Cannonball book by Brock Yates.
    Bil