Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with a Model A????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by honkey84, May 31, 2010.

1. honkey84

honkey84
    from IL

Alright I have had this Model A for about 15 years now and really don't know much about these trucks at all, so please excuse my ignorance. Basically I'm looking to do a traditional hot rod on a budget. But first and foremost I would like to get a little insight on this truck before I jump into anything. The truck is 100% all steel with no rot what so ever. The flat 4 ran and drove when it was put into a barn 15 years ago. Frame is in great shape with no rust. Interior has seen better days(thanks to the dam coons). Outside of a ton of coon crap and dust on the truck its not in bad shape. So, info and insight is welcome, and excuse my ignorance again this is all new to me.

PICS!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flathead Fever

Flathead Fever
    from CA

That is a really neat Ford Model "AA" big truck. I would not turn it into a hot rod. I would clean it up and leave the patina. They had all kinds of neat old beds for those trucks. You can make a dump truck out of it with a manual operated gear driven dump bed or an old tow truck. You will get more attention with that truck if you make old wrecker or dump truck out of it. I had a big '33 truck I wish I would have kept.

Everybody and their mother has a hot rod pickup, there are only a few of those big trucks. They are rarely turned into hot rods because they are too heavy and besides it destroys a piece of American history. Most of those big trucks were beat to death and then left in a field to rot. That one looks like it has survived in really good shape. DON'T SCREW IT UP!
    Jerry

3. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I gotta agree with him...that Flathead guy

4. jetmek

jetmek

spruce it up and use it as is .AA trucks are very handy to around to haul heavy stuff around the hood, to rod that you would only end up using the cab be ashame to scrap the rest...

5. honkey84

honkey84
    from IL

The tow truck idea sounds really awesome! Any more info on how to do the dump bed? I go to antique engine and tractor shows, so hauling coal or wood around the grounds would be a cool in a old rig like this.

6. jetmek

jetmek

run a wanted ad in the model a club national mags. most of those guys would be happy to part with aa stuff they dont need just to see it go to good use'

7. Rem

Rem

If you get hold of one of the repro Ford Model A & AA Body Parts List books from Mac's or Faxbook or eBay, there're some pics of original dump truck parts, along with lists of all the factory parts for dumpers, hoists and cranes.

Cool truck - at risk of sounding like a restorer, I agree with the others :)

8. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I vote for hot rod. Put it on a regular A frame with a pickup bed and leave the patina. Sell the chassis if you can. There's not much market for the big truck stuff. Another option is cutting down that frame to 1/2 ton dimensions. A mild full fendered and lowered hot rod would look killer.

9. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

i say leave her and do the work she needs to be a good drier and enjoy it, expectly if you can use it at the antique shows

10. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Clean it up and drive. The end.

11. Tank

Tank

I gotta agree, leave it and drive it. About the only things you could really use on a Hot Rod would be the cab, hood, and radiator shell. Its a "AA", fix it up a little and enjoy it.

12. Gunmetal

Gunmetal

I am a newbee but here is alot of things on that truck I wish I had. Its a shame you don't put it orginal. my 2 cents

13. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

[​IMG]

http://heritage_automotive.homestead.com/29FordAA.html

14. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Neat old truck....keep the patina but update the drive train so you can enjoy it.
    you can find all kinds of 4 cyl and v-6's that will fall right in and no one will ever
    know until you open the hood
    grommet

15. Too nice to cut up and too much of a survivors to restore.
    Here's another vote for cleanup and drive it.

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If you look at some of the phone booth PU threads you will want to make it a hot rod..You'll get alot of info and see some pretty cool trucks.. Hot rod it........

17. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

It's amazing that little 40hp engine will move a truck that size loaded down....

18. 5window

5window

Absolutely! That is one cool truck. Not many left. Fix it up and find something else to hotrod.

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There are plenty plenty of AA trucks around, slow and slower. Nothing wrong with that but you could slide a later v-8, AOD transmission and rearend in that chassis, upgrade the steering and brakes up front and have a real nice "patinated" road machine for not a lot of money. Keep the engine for a speedster project someday and sell or give the transmission and rearend to a AA guy or the local scrap dealer for a down payment on your conversion.

20. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Yea, spend a whole bunch of money to fix 'er up. Join the AACA and enter 'er in the 4th of July Parade... Wooo Hooo!!!:rolleyes:

21. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats a very cool survivor , would be kinda sad to rod it , but its your ride , id fix it up and use it for a sunday parts chaser ,

22. HottRoddin29

HottRoddin29

I would just touch it up a little and drive it as is.........

23. If that thing was restored...it'd be a small step above using a horse and wagon...

So if you're into that whole putt-putt parade hayride thing....restore it and drive it as is.

But we're here to talk about hotrods...so I'd say everything there is useless except for the body. hahah

24. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yank the cab/hood/grille, find a bed and an A chassis, and build a hot rod!